You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

new carlsberg deal ...

Barrington Womble

Is Carlsberg a done deal? OR is it just what's on the table?

I would have thought our new owners could come up with something more attractive.

PS - I think Spurs get a bit of a premium from their sponsor, since it's a gaming company and they need a bit more legitimacy in mainstream culture, hence a bit of a premium to Spurs.

Not great, but not nearly as bad as some seem to think. Two things to bear in mind:

1) Carlsberg aren't necessarily stiffing us. Sponsorship is worth more to AIG, Samsung and Emirates, for example, because they're global brands. Carlsberg is more of a European brand. As such, we won't get more money from Carlsberg - the only option, therefore, is to find another sponsor.

2) Man U, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are all on longer-term deals than us which are naturally more lucrative. If we wanted to go with a global brand (sony, say) they would no doubt stipulate a similarly long-term deal. Liverpool will be unwilling to enter into this because we'll hope to sign a combined shirt-stadium sponsorship deal when the new stadium's built. Hence the three-year contract.

3) We have just trebled our sponsorship revenue.

So, not perfect, but not totally shit.

Guest davelfc
The current deal is only worth £2.5m a year! Fuck me that was negotiated weeks after becoming European Champions. QUOTE]

Nope it was done before the final, I only know as I was talking to the head treasurer of Carlsberg Copenhagen the day of the final about it.

Is Carlsberg a done deal? OR is it just what's on the table?

I would have thought our new owners could come up with something more attractive.

PS - I think Spurs get a bit of a premium from their sponsor, since it's a gaming company and they need a bit more legitimacy in mainstream culture, hence a bit of a premium to Spurs.

Apparently the other firm we've been in talks with was Partygaming.com.

Do you know if its a done deal ?

Id expect Gillett and Hicks will put a high priority on this, were trying to close the gap on the Mancs, not let it increase. Its not a terrible deal, but its not the best we can get surley

The timing of this seems to coincide with the opening of the new stadium. I'd imagine this is a deliberate strategy to allow us to maximise the deal we do in three years time. No new sponsor will want to sign for a mere 36 months. This option allows us to do a "sponsor the lot" deal like The Arse did with Emirates: shirt, stadium, everything.

The current deal is only worth £2.5m a year! Fuck me that was negotiated weeks after becoming European Champions. Along with the shirts fuck up that cost us £7m from Reebok it brings into sharp focus the total incompetence of our commercial side. All that money wasted, imagine the players we could of bought with all that extra revenue. Not sure about these yanks but I hope they put a rocket up the Clubs arse and get us punching our fucking weight off the pitch as well as on.

I think that’s a load of bollocks and is probably Bascombe doing some spin after his latest travails with the Club (like not being invited to the G&T press conference). Make the possible new deal look better than it actually is by painting the old one in a bad light.

Forbes (link taken from RAWK) has us down as currently receiving £5mil a year and it’s a figure I remember being bandied about when the last deal was signed.

Would the actual amount be listed in the accounts somewhere?

Currently we get £5M a year from carlsberg, so the new £7.2M deal isn't a huge improvement considering the deals ManUre, Chelsea and Spurs have managed to get since our last deal with Carlsberg. We can get much mroe if we look elsewhere, why the hell are we sticking with these lot?

another thread with people mouthing off before engaging the brain

The spurs deal was with mansion house - a betting company- we and a number of other clubs allegedly turned them down.They ended up at Spurs.

The major share holder at Spurs Joe Lewis is worth about 1.2 billion thats more than both of our billionaires combined - they are not a 'small' club just an underachieving club in a crappy stadium. Their business has been excellently run for the last few years. they've also been in the top 20 wealthiest clubs in europe for the last 10 years and are based in London for which there is always a premium to be paid.

A three year deal which triples our income isn't a bad deal but you could argue we could have done better, the ridiculous knee jerking though is just toss.

The timing of this seems to coincide with the opening of the new stadium. I'd imagine this is a deliberate strategy to allow us to maximise the deal we do in three years time. No new sponsor will want to sign for a mere 36 months. This option allows us to do a "sponsor the lot" deal like The Arse did with Emirates: shirt, stadium, everything.

the stadium is supposed to be open in 2 years - at least that is what DIC were claiming when they were taking over. it'll be ready for the start of the 2009/10 season.

I think that’s a load of bollocks and is probably Bascombe doing some spin after his latest travails with the Club (like not being invited to the G&T press conference). Make the possible new deal look better than it actually is by painting the old one in a bad light.

Forbes (link taken from RAWK) has us down as currently receiving £5mil a year and it’s a figure I remember being bandied about when the last deal was signed.

Would the actual amount be listed in the accounts somewhere?

The Echo were also reporting an estimated £10mil over two years.

I'd be very suprised is there isn't at least one company that's willing to pay at least £10m a year to be our shirt sponsors.

Another knife in the back for Parry, and I seriously don't think he will last a year with Gillett and Hicks around.

His fuckin incompetancy is quite staggering.

His "um" stuttering/head down performance in the press conference with them was not good to see.

Guest Devils Advocate

Was put forward as possibly being a no go for gillet and hicks with gambling being banned in most american states they don't want a sponsor linked to gambling whilst trying to break the club in america, alledgedly why the mancs/ahmish pulled out of the mansion deal.

Didn't Gillett say to fans "Come and talk to me" - looks like this will be the first letter I'll be sending to him with a print out of the Echo article. Hicks is supposed to be a hardnose businessman, so he needs to step in and stop the piss taking my Carlsberg. I couldn't give a flying fuck if Carlsberg are "not" a global brand, to bad - we are! So we need a partner that is going to pay the going rate. We should be getting between 10-12m imo.

Spurs get £8.5 a year and this new deal gets us £7.2m a year, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ABOUT?

The fucking Mancs get over £14m per season and Chelsea get £10m.

This is a typical example of our failure in the marketing area.

We should be able to get a better deal than Chelsea and in no way settle for a deal worse than Spurs have!! :(

And why a 3-year deal?? That means we're stuck with this shitty terms until the summer 2010 which will make it unlikely to get a lucrative shit & stadium deal like Arsenal did.

Gillette and Hicks need to get someone in that can handle these matters way better in the future.

And why a 3-year deal?? That means we're stuck with this shitty terms until the summer 2010 which will make it unlikely to get a lucrative shit & stadium deal like Arsenal did.

You mean the "lucrative" shirt deal that is only worth about £6.5m per season for the another 7 seasons and the stadium sponsorship worth £3m a season for the next 14 seasons (and apparently they got all the stadium sponsorship money upfront).

This deal would take us up nicely to the new stadium opening and give the bargining power of doing a deal for both with on sponser or spliting it between two (nameing rights and shirt sponsors)

Any other sponser willing to pay more than this may have wanted to have a longer deal say 5 years

So this may be the best that could have beed delivered, when in possesion of the full facts, we may never know but what has that got to do with it, when there is an opportunity to have a go at Parry and Moores ?