You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Players you've played against (and beyond).

Mr Moustache

Surely some of you must have played against some of our past and current heroes? How do you get on? Any good stories?

I've played against J Carra a couple of times when I was in my mid teens on the park by ours. Nutmegged him and then two-footed him during the same game. He wasnt happy. He scored about 8 goals in 10 minutes after that. He was a forward then an all. I wouldnt get anywhere near him now and wouldn't fucking want to! He's a leg-end.

Non- Liverpool:

Alan Rogers and Dele Adebola when I was kid. Never thought either of them would have made it to the Prem but 2 very dedicated lads.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt get anywhere near him now and wouldn't fucking want to!

That true? I can't imagine Carra beeing the most skilful during the early years.

Goes to figure how stupid I am to actually think "I could do that as well" when players in the PL make a well timed tackle, beats a man etc..

I played with and against Sammy Lee when I was a kid - he was very good (albeit a few years older than me)

Played against Steve McMahon for our school. He was alright but not great - Alan Harper played in the same team (Halewood) and believe it or not was well better than McMahon at that stage.

The best I played against was a lad called Colin Russell who was on Liverpools books but ended up playing lower league. Couldn't get the ball off him.

That true? I can't imagine Carra beeing the most skilful during the early years.

Goes to figure how stupid I am to actually think "I could do that as well" when players in the PL make a well timed tackle, beats a man etc..

Sure is mate. He actually appeared on Record Breakers or some such show doing some keep up competition when he was a kid. He got about 10!

He was a cut above when he was younger but the times I played against him (a kick about on the park once or twice and when I was really young against Merton Villa I think) he played up front. He wasnt Maradona or anything ( I had mates who were more skilful) but you just couldnt get the ball off him if he was running with it,

not a liverpool player, but a lad that plays for coventry, michael doyle

in all honesty he was shit hot, not the best in the school ,it was a toss up between him and a guy called Richie Baker, Baker plays for Shelbourne in Ireland now, and played for the New England Revolution last year, he was very good, his older brother won a bronze in the under 20 world cup, with the team that duff and all was in

i played with a few other lads that played for wolves youths, ive heard people claim that the professional footballers they played against as kids werent all that, but any of the lad si know that even had trials where always 10 times better than me,

Ask your mate John B about the blaas with the red lead (pronounced led as in the metal).

I'm pretty sure i played against O'Shea as well when he was with a local side called Bohs, i didn't nutmeg him though!

I haven't heard that in ages. :lol:

I've seen John O'Shea a few times down in waterford when i've been there to see cork city play. Never played against him or any other players though.

My greatest moment of pride is also my most embarrassing moment.

Played against a certain Robbie Ryder in an under-12s game in the Edge Hill league and he scored 16 (I'll even spell that out vidiprinter style - SIXTEEN).

Mr Ryder later changed his name to Fowler and after he scored five for the first team against Fulham he was asked by an interviewer if that was the most he'd ever scored in a game.

"Nah," he answered. "I got 16 in one game when I was a kid".

Cue much laughter from my old fella.

Turned out okay for the lad who played in goal for us that day, one of the nationals found him and took him down to Melwood to meet up with Robbie again. And he was given £500 and a load of signed Liverpool gear for his trouble.

Why wasn't I a goalie instead of a centre half?!

When i was at Marine we played crewe alot - probably they have all played int he lower leagues somewhere !!!

Michael Ball (not the singer) was 2 years below me in school and didnt even know he was at everton

A few of my mates went to everton and got squad numbers but got released

I played against paul dalglish too

I still reckon i could cut it in the premiership if gary and phil neville can !!

Vegard Heggem. He was a year my junior at high school, and we actually had football classes together every week for a year. He was the quickest and most skilled of the lot (I got skinned quite a few times...). Very nice bloke, ran into him a couple of months ago and had a chat. He pops over to his old home town numerous times a year, apparently.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Had penalties taken against me by David Unsworth and Joe Parkinson, saved Parkinsons effort.

Had a coaching session off John Achterberg an all

Surely some of you must have played against some of our past and current heroes? How do you get on? Any good stories?

I've played against J Carra a couple of times when I was in my mid teens on the park by ours. Nutmegged him and then two-footed him during the same game. He wasnt happy. He scored about 8 goals in 10 minutes after that. He was a forward then an all. I wouldnt get anywhere near him now and wouldn't fucking want to! He's a leg-end.

Non- Liverpool:

Alan Rogers and Dele Adebola when I was kid. Never thought either of them would have made it to the Prem but 2 very dedicated lads.

Mick Lyons was about 3years ahead of me in school he used to play centre forward for the school . I just always thought of him as a hard worker but nothing special compared to a couple of other lads in the team who never made it. Also played 5 aside against Peter Kirsten the SA cricketer . He wasn't a bad lad and loved to get on the lash.

I played against Ste Gerrard when he used to play for Denburn in the Edge Hill junior leauge. Michael Branch also played for then at the time. Iv also slotted a few pens past Big nev when he came to our school for some charity event.

roly howard picked me as player of the dat at marine summer coaching camp and i won a pair of socks

Duncan Mckenzie came to train us one day and i scored a diving header of his cross - he hit so hard it knacked me head for ages - he even apologised for hitting to hard - got to be man points there!

ive played 5 a side with alan navarro