You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Viz character

Vincent Vega

• 2 years later...

Viz had a slogan on the front cover a good ten years ago saying something like, "Same old shit gags, but brand new expensive price". I bought it the other day and it could be applied again. Still made me laugh though.

Felix and his amazing underpants and topless skateboarding nun were two of my, criminally underused, favourites.

Top tips was ace, as Stuart Maconie reminded me on the culture show the other night, "an upside down hairbrush makes an excellent emergency bed of nails for a hamster" - just genius.

Sid the Sexist and Jack Black. A particular favourite:

In an attempt to earn money to fund his new animal snaring hobby, Jack attempts to get work as a fruit picker with the local farmer, but upon learning that the wage is only 30p an hour, gets suspicious of a group of gentlemen who are more than happy with the measly wage. Convinced they are foreign, Jack arranges for a cricket match between the fruit pickers and the local police, noting that if they attempt to cheat they cannot possibly be British (more specifically English). During the game, one of the fruit pickers correctly questions a play with the umpire (Jack and PC Brown had purposely arranged this wrongful play) and Jack calls for the men to be arrested (he has rumbled them as no Englishman would ever question the decision of the umpire), to which the fruit pickers attempt to flee (for they are actually members of an East European acting troupe who recently vanished). As the East Europeans are taken away, the farmer points out that with no-one to pick it, his fruit will rot. Jack happily responds that he would rather it rot than be picked by a foreigner. This story was purportedly "sponsored" by the Daily Express.

And:

When Aunt Meg is not allowed to sell her Nazi memorabilia at the local market because all stallholders must be of German origin, Jack becomes increasingly suspicious of a kindly old toymaker who does not look physically perfect enough to belong to the "Master race". He discovers the man was born in Olbernhau, which did not actually come under German control until ratified under the Treaty of Versailles on June 19th, 1919 – a day after the man was born on June 18th, when Olbernhau was still part of the former Austria-Hungary. The toymaker is deported and his German dachshund dog destroyed, and the townspeople celebrate by burning the toys that he had charitably given to local orphans.

• Upvote 1

Mickey's Monkey Spunk Moped was one of the best one off comic strips ever. In fact, some of the best ones were one offs; Reverand Ramsdens Ring Piece Cathedral; The Incredible Doctor Sex; Zip O Lightning and loads of others were fucking ace.

I remember when I first started getting it, it was really difficult to get hold of and I used to pick it up from that newsagents that used to be in front of Lime Street by Erics and Tony Harris scally wear shops. You can get it in Asda with your beans now, which just tells you how shite it is.

Being old sucks, because everything used to be better before, including the Reds :(.

repped for remembering that genius

Mr Logic was my favourite but as already mentioned Letterboks and top tips were the best part. Every toilet should have a profanisaurus in it as well. Do you think they ever noticed that the word profanisaraus sounds a bit like pro-fanny-sore-arse

The new is site is up and running.

I found these Letterbocks.

ON A RECENT Johnathan Ross show, David Bowie said he doesn't change his baby daughter's nappy. What a hypocrite. He wasn't afraid of shit when he was a bummer, why now?

I WATCHED the much-hyped 'Walking With Cavemen' last week with some disappointment. Where were all the dinosaurs? If the producers had done their research to the same standard as those who made The Flintstones, these mistakes wouldn't have occurred. Or perhaps it was penny pinching by the BBC that has once again affected programme quality.