You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Small pleasures?

Section_31

13 minutes ago, Champ said:

While listening to David Olusoga on Desert Island Discs

Have you got onto Winter Walks on the iPlayer, Cath?

That's a Small Pleasure with a cup of coffee and is a nice way to fight off the COVID blues of having to spend too much time indoors. 

• Upvote 1

On 15/01/2021 at 09:53, Dr Nowt said:

Have you got onto Winter Walks on the iPlayer, Cath?

That's a Small Pleasure with a cup of coffee and is a nice way to fight off the COVID blues of having to spend too much time indoors. 

We have. It really does capture something of the mindfulness of walking on your own. Far less about the person and more about being in the landscape than so many of these ‘vehicles’ which just end up annoying me, eg Robson Green walking Hadrian’s Wall which was also on the other night. Sometimes, like football commentators, you don’t need to fill every moment with the sound of your own voice.

Oh, man, how I’d love to be able to do something similar and end up at a wayside pub with a pint and a packet of crisps

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Champ said:

We have. It really does capture something of the mindfulness of walking on your own. Far less about the person and more about being in the landscape than so many of these ‘vehicles’ which just end up annoying me, eg Robson Green walking Hadrian’s Wall which was also on the other night. Sometimes, like football commentators, you don’t need to fill every moment with the sound of your own voice.

Oh, man, how I’d love to be able to do something similar and end up at a wayside pub with a pint and a packet of crisps

Couldn’t agree more.

I've been up with wisdom toothache since about 5am. Its a regular thing every few months it just twats me for a few days and it's horrible. This morning has been particularly grim and while I'm working she said she'd go the chemist and get some stronger painkillers because paracetamol and ibuprofen weren't budging it. Sure enough she decides to wash and blow dry her hair, spend half an hour on the phone to her nan and do all other manner of unhelpful faffing things while I'm sat here contemplating taking the drill to my face. 

She went in the end and has come back with some co-codamol. They've just started kicking in and I can think straight again. Bliss. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I've been up with wisdom toothache since about 5am. Its a regular thing every few months it just twats me for a few days and it's horrible. This morning has been particularly grim and while I'm working she said she'd go the chemist and get some stronger painkillers because paracetamol and ibuprofen weren't budging it. Sure enough she decides to wash and blow dry her hair, spend half an hour on the phone to her nan and do all other manner of unhelpful faffing things while I'm sat here contemplating taking the drill to my face. 

She went in the end and has come back with some co-codamol. They've just started kicking in and I can think straight again. Bliss. 

I was on Co-Codamol before Christmas. 

Couldn't shit again until January. 

56 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That reminds me of a time in work a few years back when a woman in our team was complaining about the same thing and the painkillers she had were doing nothing, one of the other women in our team, a lovely mumsy type from Poland rummaged in her bag and gave her a couple of tablets she had used for some back pain.

Half hour later this tooth pain lady was floating around the office high as a kite on Tramadol, she was in no fit state to drive home so had to leave her car and have someone come collect her and take her home.

Next day we were greeted to a memo from HR about not giving out medication to colleagues.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

That reminds me of a time in work a few years back when a woman in our team was complaining about the same thing and the painkillers she had were doing nothing, one of the other women in our team, a lovely mumsy type from Poland rummaged in her bag and gave her a couple of tablets she had used for some back pain.

Half hour later this tooth pain lady was floating around the office high as a kite on Tramadol, she was in no fit state to drive home so had to leave her car and have someone come collect her and take her home.

Next day we were greeted to a memo from HR about not giving out medication to colleagues.

Thats what I needed earlier. Knocks me clean out that stuff. 

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I was on Co-Codamol before Christmas. 

Couldn't shit again until January. 

I don't take tablets at all but had a hernia op a few years back and took some co-codamol , fuck me they were awful , knocked my stomach out and bunged me up something wicked. Haven't taken any tablets other than vitamin D3 since.

52 minutes ago, Elite said:

Tramadol works the opposite was for me. Works great for pain but I can't sleep when I'm on them. They do cause you to get bunged up, I wonder if Heroin causes constipation as well. 

I doubt it as I wouldn't of thought smackheads eat much or care about eating? 

I've got Co-codomol though try not to take them if I can, I think it says that you shouldn't take them for more than 3 days. 

16 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I doubt it as I wouldn't of thought smackheads eat much or care about eating? 

I've got Co-codomol though try not to take them if I can, I think it says that you shouldn't take them for more than 3 days. 

They still need to eat to survive.  A few tramadol bungs me up, so god knows what copious amounts of heroin does, I've never thought about it before. They should put warning photos on bags like they do with cigs. This would suffice..

constipation-face-meme-generator-imgflip-49973969.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Tramadol works the opposite was for me. Works great for pain but I can't sleep when I'm on them. They do cause you to get bunged up, I wonder if Heroin causes constipation as well. 

My sister was a midwife and she told me once that they were delivering for a young smackhead girl and as they urged her into pushing she produced a turd at least 12 inches long. One of the guys she worked with put it in a spare babygrow and it toured the wards in a basket. Tbe girl told my sister it was the first shit she had managed for nearly three months.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Elite said:

They still need to eat to survive.  A few tramadol bungs me up, so god knows what copious amounts of heroin does, I've never thought about it before. They should put warning photos on bags like they do with cigs. This would suffice..

constipation-face-meme-generator-imgflip-49973969.png

I've known a few, think I mentioned it ages ago that this couple I had to stay with for a couple of days only ate beans on toast and that's all the kids had, bad to see. 

I do know that copious amounts of Heroin can make your toes curl up and die. 

On 18/01/2021 at 14:30, Bjornebye said:

Fish Finger butties are superb. Shenanigans Irish Bar in Southsea do the best Fish Finger sarnie know to man. 

The Ultimate Fish Finger Sandwich Recipe
play-btn.png

The Ultimate Fish Finger Sandwich Recipe
We’ve got more than a few fish finger recipes up our sleeves, but this one is a stand out favourite. With avocado, poached eggs and crusty bread – this is one posh fish finger sandwich. 
Our ultimate fish finger sandwich recipe is a classic British staple with a modern twist, and great for those with big appetites. Perfect as a brunch recipe to cook for friends but easily thrown together at any time of day, this is a filling, flavoursome, tasty sandwich full of good stuff.
We suggest using ciabatta for its wonderful doughy texture, but you can use sourdough for a lighter bread, or just a plain old white or brown loaf if you fancy more of a fish finger butty. The beauty of this isn’t just the simplicity of it, it’s the versatility – you can add in whatever you like to create your own ultimate fish finger sandwich recipe.

Preparation Time
'
Cooking Time
'
Nr of servings
Difficulty Level

Ingredients

Birds Eye Fish Fingers
10 cod fish fingers
ciabatta
poached egg
tomato
1/4 
lettuce
1tbsp 
low fat yoghurt
1/4 
avocado
lemon

Method

1. Put the Birds Eye Fish Fingers under the grill for 12-15 mins. Then bring a pan of water to the boil
  2. Halve the ciabatta
  3. Mix the shredded lettuce with the yoghurt and season with lemon juice.
  4. Spread this on both pieces of bread.
  5. Turn the water down and poach the egg in the simmering water for 2-3 mins to your preference.

6. Take the water off the heat
  7. Place the sliced tomato and avocado on one piece of bread and top with the grilled fish finger. Retrieve the egg from the water and place on top
  8. Carefully lay the other piece of bread on top and serve

Try this one. Lovely.
  • Upvote 1