You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

This seems to be becoming an ever hotter (excuse the pun) political issue these days. The government have made their most outspoken criticism of virtually anyone or anything today, with regard to the response of some airlines to proposals to tax/curb their carbon emissions. Recycling is suddenluy affecting nearly everyone as local authorities fulfill their new legal obligations and roll out the recycling bins. Also, the weather itself is clearly changing for all to see, having jsut left the hottest year in Britain since records began and entered one that's mooted to be hotter still.

Having said all that, it's not an issue I ever hear people discussing or getting passionate about. So, how arsed are you, and what do you do?

Im somewhere in between because of my job. We have no choice but to be 'greener' so I went for the first option. In my private life Im conscious of it too, I walk everywhere, dont own a car, recycle etc etc.

So work - Very

Home life - Arsed

Guest TK-421

Don't have kids because it's unfair to bring them into a world threatened by an uncontrollable climate, war, debt, and everything else that's shit!

Im somewhere in between because of my job. We have no choice but to be 'greener' so I went for the first option. In my private life Im conscious of it too, I walk everywhere, dont own a car, recycle etc etc.

So work - Very

Home life - Arsed

Do you avoid use of concrete and stuff like that?

Question for you, Karl: why, when all these home building shows reveal the wealth of greener, cheaper and more effective new building technologies available, do we still have new construction dominated by the tried, trusted and more expensive (both in financial and green terms)?

It's an issue, a massive issue but I reckon I could do more than I currently do; maybe start a tree planting charity(only kidding). Globally, we should raise the money to buy the forests from the tree fellers and begin replanting. We need to increase the amount of trees which would then, partially, absorb some of the increased emissions. We also need to reduce the amount of cars, reduce the wattage of our electronics, etcetera. I do fuck all, though. I'd like to gain greater awareness of the steps involved in reducing my carbon footprint. There's no option for me, which is: it's a fucking huge issue, bigger than terrorism but I'm too much of a lazy fuck to do anything about it...... yet.

Guest TK-421
And i thought it was just because you are ugly.

I don't love you anymore.

I was exaggerating before, but I do think in future (maybe the near future) we owe a duty to future generations to address this issue properly. At what point does it become irresponsible to bring a new child into the world, in circumstances where we know there is a stong probability the child will suffer if there is to be an uncontrollable and dangerous climate?

I don't love you anymore.

I was exaggerating before, but I do think in future (maybe the near future) we owe a duty to future generations to address this issue properly. At what point does it become irresponsible to bring a new child into the world, in circumstances where we know there is a stong probability the child will suffer if there is to be an uncontrollable and dangerous climate?

For anything to improve we'd have to change from a consumer society and i dont see that happening unless there is some revolution of sorts which i think the internet can only help.

I'd love to have a 'green' house in the countryside - much like the one lived in by Children of Men's Michael Caine character. I'll have babies with you TK - maybe we can be the new Adam and Eve? I'll be Adam - get yer 3 fig leaves ready.

Be interesting to see the results of this poll v the f-Scale thread, see if there are any fascist eco-warriors or any liberal eco-criminals...

Im guessing probably not.

I didn't feel comfortable saying i do everything i possibly can, and the option I chose was better as it didn't mention money. that bit doesn't bother me as much as other things.

I own a car, so I can't say i do everything i possibly can, but I recycle lots and buy local produce, travel by public transport to work, use my bike a lot, very rarely fly anywhere.

Guest TK-421
I'll have babies with you TK - maybe we can be the new Adam and Eve? I'll be Adam - get yer 3 fig leaves ready.

Look, it's more of a brotherly love, the same way you love Paul Tomkins' face. I've got women queuing round the block for my premium triple A + love fluid.

I don't understand how Kopite hates Thatcher when he quite obviously has such right wing views. ;)

Don't see how an opinion on climate change can be deemed left or right wing. I understand that the lefties are viewed as more sensitive and caring about such issues but the chinese communists would say different.

Don't see how an opinion on climate change can be deemed left or right wing. I understand that the lefties are viewed as more sensitive and caring about such issues but the chinese communists would say different.

Feeling guilty?

I didn't feel comfortable saying i do everything i possibly can, and the option I chose was better as it didn't mention money. that bit doesn't bother me as much as other things.

I own a car, so I can't say i do everything i possibly can, but I recycle lots and buy local produce, travel by public transport to work, use my bike a lot, very rarely fly anywhere.

yeah, me too RiS. Im not concerned about the cost, but "Doing everything I possibly could" would involve building an eco-house underground that was 100% self sufficient and had no carbon footprint. Which aint gonna happen.

But its still possible to do a fair bit these days, our bin men collect all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff now (and there is a big fuck off recyling depot up the road).

Also, miss weeksie works in the supermarket-y type business, and she's always on at me to keep our food-miles down (i.e. buy local produce).

yeah, me too RiS. Im not concerned about the cost, but "Doing everything I possibly could" would involve building an eco-house underground that was 100% self sufficient and had no carbon footprint. Which aint gonna happen.

But its still possible to do a fair bit these days, our bin men collect all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff now (and there is a big fuck off recyling depot up the road).

Also, miss weeksie works in the supermarket-y type business, and she's always on at me to keep our food-miles down (i.e. buy local produce).

Weeksie, can you ask her why we cant have brown paper (recycled) bags like the Americans instead of the plastic ones??

Weeksie, can you ask her why we cant have brown paper (recycled) bags like the Americans instead of the plastic ones??

Before she reads this and I get a bollocking, she does analysis for the supermarkets, not rounding up the trolleys ;)

But I asked her this question before, and apparently its been a cost issue until recently, but sainsbury (and others soon) are piloting new 100% recyclable bags.

Before she reads this and I get a bollocking, she does analysis for the supermarkets, not rounding up the trolleys ;)

But I asked her this question before, and apparently its been a cost issue until recently, but sainsbury (and others soon) are piloting new 100% recyclable bags.

Oooo thats interesting, thanks. And thanks to your trolley dolly. x

I'm no expert by means, but a lot of the scientific blurb I've seen seems to say solar activity is the main cause. Also, the 'polar axis' is turning which it does every 100,000 years or so, which causes climate shift, if not change.

Also, I've read on a few occasions that the human race is responsible for only about 3% of the planets carbon emmissions.

I dont see why I as an individual is made to feel guilty for chucking a few cans and bottles in the wrong bin or why I should be forced to pay Xp per mile to run my vehicles which are essential to my business. When massive multi national companies are making billions of dollars with little or no regard for our world. Sort this shit out and maybe I would support the eco movement more.

Example.

Where I live the council has introduced several recycling bins and a huge fuck off lorry burning diesel comes round once a week and collects my weekly papers.

At my business we go through a ton or more of cardboard per week all of which could be re-cycled. I phoned the council and ask can I make a weekly drop to the recycling center with my rubbish. (not even asking them to collect it) The answer was no as because it is business waste I would need to arrange a collection for which I will be changed £1000 per year. Fuck that in the bins it goes.