You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

The climate change agenda has certainly gathered pace over the last few years. Even the fuckign Tories of all people are jumping on the bandwagon. BoJo might as well be leader of the Green Party the way he's going on.

Personally I think it's mostly bollocks, more taxes and pricey green alternatives to fill the pockets of the government and their favourite corporations.

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

The climate change agenda has certainly gathered pace over the last few years. Even the fuckign Tories of all people are jumping on the bandwagon. BoJo might as well be leader of the Green Party the way he's going on.

Personally I think it's mostly bollocks, more taxes and pricey green alternatives to fill the pockets of the government and their favourite corporations.

Climate change is no ‘bandwagon’ and Johnson is only doing what Johnson does, dispensing small crumbs for headlines while completely failing to engage with the enormity of the crisis we’re facing

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Champ said:

Climate change is no ‘bandwagon’ and Johnson is only doing what Johnson does, dispensing small crumbs for headlines while completely failing to engage with the enormity of the crisis we’re facing

There's always been a crisis and existential threat to humanity for as long as I can remember. I'm getting too long in the tooth to worry about yet another one. The Americans, Chinese and Indians, the biggest polluters on the planet aren't arsed about it and if we can't get them onboard with our eco-policies then I fail to see what difference little old Britain can make to this supposedly global catastrophe. 

I’ve never denied it’s an issue, but it wasn’t really on my radar (to my shame now). It’s becoming obvious that this is the most important issue we will face in our lifetime. We have a responsibility to our children and their children. 

I’m a lifelong Labour voter and I despise the fucking Tories but I can see myself putting all that aside in the future and throwing my lot in with whoever can influence this agenda positively. Probably quite an easy statement to make as I’m pretty sure that won’t be Boris or his gang of buffoons.

This world needs to be put in the hands of those who really care, not those who see it firstly as political capital and then as a moral issue (if they see that at all).

I need to educate myself more on this subject but we seem to be right royally fucking it up at the moment.

Oh and I love Greta. I’m sure she’s not perfect, she’s an autistic eighteen year old navigating uncharted waters, but I’d listen to her above any politician, from the major economies at any rate, represented at COP 26.

3C01C081-5FE8-449A-830C-B778A3C7CDB6.jpeg

7CF62FB3-0F6F-4CAB-8309-6ED7F0320974.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 29/10/2021 at 10:05, Rico1304 said:

Just driven back from the Lakes. Must have passed 100 police vans going the other way for the climate change summit this weekend. Every force, including the Met.  That’s some hike to Glasgow. 

Always good to gas up and drive for a day straight in the name of climate change.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Always good to gas up and drive for a day straight in the name of climate change.

The DM headline is about loads of them flying there etc. The comments section is full of comments like "virtue signalling" etc. The Greta article is full of grown ups calling her vile, and "woke". We're fucked. 

The interview with Bozo on the lunchtime BBC news was a sight to behold.

I think he got asked some moderately challenging questions but it was difficult to ignore the ra, ra, jolly good, c’mon old boy etc. noise being created by both sides of the conversation.

Hold the cunt to account and do it properly. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Melania did a photo op near where I was working in Hackney, we had no idea it was planned.

There must have been about twenty/thirty SUV’s and all manner of other stuff there hours before she arrived for what was a meet and great that lasted half hour.

Her convey was of a similar size.

’Merica, fuck yeah! 

• Upvote 1

Climate change is like the Hollywood sex scandal, in the sense that it's the rich and powerful who perpetrated it, then it was the same people who monitized the apology. Cop 26 was their Oscar speech.

We'll give you plastic bags for decades, knowing what damage they do, then when David Attenborough rumbles us we'll start charging you 5p for them then tell you this has actually been YOUR fault all along for taking them when we doled them out.

I mean the idea that you can do 'your bit' by cutting one minute off your shower time while the Chinese are building coal powered power stations out the ass and half the US Senate are bought and paid for by Exon is fucking laughable. Fuck the press for perpetuating the nonsense, and fuck the marketers who spin straw into gold.

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Climate change is like the Hollywood sex scandal, in the sense that it's the rich and powerful who perpetrated it, then it was the same people who monitized the apology. Cop 26 was their Oscar speech.

We'll give you plastic bags for decades, knowing what damage they do, then when David Attenborough rumbles us we'll start charging you 5p for them then tell you this has actually been YOUR fault all along for taking them when we doled them out.

I mean the idea that you can do 'your bit' by cutting one minute off your shower time while the Chinese are building coal powered power stations out the ass and half the US Senate are bought and paid for by Exon is fucking laughable. Fuck the press for perpetuating the nonsense, and fuck the marketers who spin straw into gold.

This. Sure, there are people out there who arent arsed about Climate Change or, argue it isnt 'man made,' is just a natural cycle of the planet.

That might be so to a lesser degree but many people are prepared and indeed happy to do their bit. But, it fucks me off getting lectured to by people who fly in from around the world on private jets and even fly 30 odd miles from one city to attend the conference in another, because they didnt want to get caught in traffic, blah, blah, fucking blah. That person probably got caught in more traffic getting from the airport to the fucking conference than if they'd been driven all the way instead!

It also pisses me off that us plebs are expected to find the thick end of 20 grand to retro fit our homes with these absurd air \ ground pumps. By all means, fit these to new builds or homes that can be retro fitted but the blanket requirement is plain stupid and punishes people who havent got that kind of money.

And dont get me started on other countries who are belching out 20%+ of the World's co2 while we only account for 2% or less.

The UK could become a green utopia, every person in the country could have zero carbon footprint and guess what? It would still make absolutely no different to the planet. We'd still be fucked (if the doom-mongers are correct) because there are much larger countries out there that don't give a shit and will use as much fossil fuels as you can throw at them. China, India, Russia and even the USA will never give up fossil fuels while they remain cheap and easily accessible. Then you have to consider how the rest of the world is ever going to meet these emission targets. It's hard enough for wealthy Western nations, but what about the poorer countries of Africa, Asia and South America? Most of these countries are dirt poor, most people are only interested in how they'll feed their families, they have no interest in fighting climate change. In short - the planet is screwed, regardless of what the UK does.

• Upvote 1

I've posted on this thread before relaying a pretty nihilistic viewpoint, but I find all of the hullabaloo about COP26 deeply weird.

If we wanted to make the necessary changes that would result in reduced impact from climate change we should have been doing it in the 80's, 90's and early 00's. The negative feedback loops we are already in mean there is basically no chance that we will be able to hold the temperature rise from baseline under 2.0C let alone 1.5C. The work done so far at the conference seems to be pegged at a 2.4C temperature rise which is pretty mush putting us on a definite path toward runaway feedback loops and the degradation of our societies.

The fossil fuel industry have basically completely fucked huge swathes of humanity all so they could pile more money into offshore accounts, go to fad restaurants and send their kids to The New School or RADA.

The stealing of the 2000 US Presidential election by a fossil fuel funded right wing headbanging Republican Party was the straw that broke the camels back, but we were well on the way before that with repeated Republican/fossil fuel lobby ransackings/destructions of the EPA and the endless flows of money into climate denialism and political obstructionism.

To avert the worst of climate change now you would need massive levels of state intervention, which isn't going to happen as in most kleptocratic clientelist Western countries (who are the primary polluters per capita). The people at the top are trying to make off with the most cash they can get before things start to get really difficult for them and have no interest in significant market interventions.

I applaud those making the case and the effort to reduce emissions now as every reduction in CO2 and Methane will help us in the long run.

Within the context of Britain what I would say is try to make sure you live somewhere which is well elevated/has good drainage systems (as alot of our stuff is crumbling Victorian). Flood plain avoidance is pretty important with this. If you rely on specific transport networks try and plan out alternative routes in the event of heat or extreme weather failure.

I would recommend not buying a house anywhere near the Wash, Eastern Lincolnshire or Northern Cambridgeshire etc. as it'll be underwater the vast majority of the time. The government may build a golden curtain wall around London but they are not going to give a fuck about that eastern side of the country.

https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/8/-1.2541/53.6028/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=year&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2100&pathway=rcp45&percentile=p50&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=gtsr&slr_model=kopp_2014

I would also not be rushing to Kent or anywhere that is in striking distance of a boat from the continent as the amount of people moving due to climate forcing's is going to get pretty ridiculous and I would imagine that might to start impacting on what in effect will be viewed more and more as border towns/areas. Though given our declining birth rate more immigration may be needed to keep our tottering gentocratic population going.

Check your home insurance to make sure you are covered on natural weather events.

Consider investing in air conditioning companies in the winter months. Try to get Ivy/ tree shade and shutters on the go if you own your house as that acts as a cooler during summers months, also houses that have the capacity for air flow through the entire building are better set up to cope with spikes in temperature. Get ice packs for the fridge that can be applied to the back of the neck, try and get into the habit of taking a bottle of water around in the summer months as well.

On the sartorial front get used to wearing shorts more and light weight materials more.

Then pray the AMOC doesn't get too disrupted too frequently, trying to cope with swings between Madiera-esque conditions and Moscow winters would put a significant strain on even the best engineered infrastructure.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/approach/collaboration/ukcp/index

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-d6338d9f-8789-4bc2-b6d7-3691c0e7d138

• Upvote 3

South Africa has said they will not sign any agreement and are urging the rest of Africa to follw suit.

Meanwhile Germany have pledged millions of Euros to kick start a green initiative. The 40 thieves ,who began raiding the treasury under Jacob Zuma, are rubbing their hands in anticipation. So frustrating.