You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, skaro said:

She'll be a multi-millionaire - if she isn't already - so she'll have her chance to pay plenty of tax.

Indeed. 

17 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It is bizarre. Even if climate change was wrong surely cleaning the planet, preventing pollution and using technology to provide cleaner renewable energy sources that ultimately become cheaper in the long run would just be a better road to take anyway. 

Regardless of the cause, yes, climate change is a happening thing.

What we need is a sensible approach, that recognises MODERATE warming, and finds reasonable solutions in a balanced way. Climate alarmism doesn’t help the situation - it just increases the anxiety of ordinary people.

No amount of protests will bring about reasonable solutions in double quick time.

There needs to be a confluence of funding and invention. Two steps forward, one step back.

The alarmists are just muddying the waters.

I support them but think that's fucking stupid really, considering The Guardian said that a poll of their members had over 70% disagreeing with doing anything on the underground.

The police trying to ban XR protests from the whole of London is way more stupid though, and it was obviously going to be ignored and still will be. Authoritarian cunts.

It’s stupid for any number of reasons.

It gives more substance to the ban imposed by the Police if they can show they’re causing more disruption and it’s escalating to violence. 

The optics of stopping the trains when you are trying to get more people to use public transport and stop using cars and taxis. 

I’m no expert on London but Canning Town doesn’t seem like an ideal place to do this. It’s not exactly an upper class area full of people commuting in from the shires. As someone pointed out on Twitter, the person standing on the train is the most smartly dressed person there. 

Some of those people won’t get paid if they don’t get to work on time or might be on zero hour contracts. It was always going to kick off. No idea what they were thinking. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Interrupting the lives of working class East Londoners using public transport.

Top, top tactics.

This. No consideration for anyone's circumstances. What about those on their way to work, an interviewer, a hospital appointment, to visit a dying relative? Fucking idiots they are. 

Why not attack the big companies who send lorries up and down the M6 24/7 instead of people using public fucking transport? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

This. No consideration for anyone's circumstances. What about those on their way to work, an interviewer, a hospital appointment, to visit a dying relative? Fucking idiots they are. 

Why not attack the big companies who send lorries up and down the M6 24/7 instead of people using public fucking transport? 

Yes, it's absurd.

If they want to change society they should be chucking bankers under cement mixers not standing on the 14:40 to Newham.

• Upvote 2

They're screwed, it ceased to be a protest against climate change some time ago, it's now about the movement, they've become the story. The celebrities hypocrite letter is just not a good look. They shouldn't have allowed publicity seeking celebs with massive carbon footprints anywhere near this. The moment you have Emma Thompson flying business class from LA to take part at a protest in London, you know you're fucked.

They just need private jet setting and career gas guzzling Lewis Hamilton front and centre now.

Shame as I can't disagree with anything they're saying or the fact that their intentions are honourable.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

They probably think the best chance of change is waking up the masses. But the masses clearly couldn’t give a fuck. And agree with how troubling that is. 

Trouble is they have to been seen to be with the people not against them, not obstructing people travelling to work via public transport, which is surely what they want? There so many valid high profile targets they could be choosing rather than being seen to be obstructing people going to work.

The media were always going to spin this as well heeled crusties and hypocritical preaching celebrities and all they've done is help the media along the way. 

They’ve been doing high profile events around London. Nobody’s listening. The kids have been doing their high profile protests for nearly a year. Nobody’s listening. I don’t really see any harm in trying to shake people out of their morning zombie commute. Unfortunately the commuters on the tube would happily trample their grandmothers to death to get to that last seat, so their animal behaviour doesn’t surprise me. Fuck London commuters - almost universal cunts to a man/woman.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

They’ve been doing high profile events around London. Nobody’s listening. The kids have been doing their high profile protests for nearly a year. Nobody’s listening. I don’t really see any harm in trying to shake people out of their morning zombie commute. Unfortunately the commuters on the tube would happily trample their grandmothers to death to get to that last seat, so their animal behaviour doesn’t surprise me. Fuck London commuters - almost universal cunts to a man/woman.

What next mate? Set a bomb off?