You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Currently reading The Uninhabitable Earth by David Wallace-Wells.

Sorry, but were fucked. By 2050 it’ll be bad. By 2100 we’ll be toast. It’s fucking grim reading.

I've read that - it's a wild read. I think my only thoughts on this is that there doesn't appear to be any solutions to the 'pending doom' that's coming our way. You finish it feeling upbeat and wanting to do your bit but you've just read that there's fuck all you can do other than watch the world burn around you. Depressing.

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Sorry, but were fucked. By 2050 it’ll be bad. By 2100 we’ll be toast. It’s fucking grim reading.

I actually read that in German the other month. It really is a brutal report on climate change and what the future holds. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Reading that myself, we're screwed. The sheer scale of change required at a global level across all aspects of human existence from economic and infrastructure through to social and individual behaviour is simply not going happen.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, clangers said:

Reading that myself, we're screwed. The sheer scale of change required at a global level across all aspects of human existence from economic and infrastructure through to social and individual behaviour is simply not going happen.

Indeed, plus the amount of commercial/business flights will only increase as time goes by. Plus that is only one of the major problems facing mankind. 

1 hour ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Fair play to everyone involved in the protests all over the globe today.

Inspirational stuff.

I was in London today and it was an absolute twat to get from by Trafalgar Square up to Euston. 

But, I wasn't arsed. I'll be dead and gone and these younger protestors and their kids will inherit the planet. They're literally begging for their future. And it's being jeopardised by greedy, selfish fuckers. 

And the way some adults talk about the protestors, including Greta Thunberg (who's boss and doesn't give a fuck) is pretty shitty. 

• Upvote 1

The whole IPPC we've got 8 years to act is a load of rubbish, we're fucked already and we're well and truly into feedback loops with; methane release from permafrost, lack of carbon sequestration in the oceans, reduction in the albedo effect from melting Artic/Antarctic and substantial fires in our carbon sinks.

I remember thinking when Bush beat Gore for his first term that it would be difficult to avoid, most of this stuff really has to come from a government level, which is always why I laugh at those who advocate for small government and laisse fair capitalism as climate change mitigation is going to require so much state intervention they'll be shitting their pants.

People will call this period the great delusion, when pretty much everyone in the scientific community could see what was coming but through a mixture of PR, propaganda and vast amounts of petro dollars the truth was hidden from the public.

Listened to a debate yesterday on Brexit, the number of times people were saying 'this is the number one issue of the day/our times etc.', was bizarre given how much of a greater impact climate change will have on the world currently and over the next few decades.

• Upvote 3

I voted for the third option. It’s clearly a massive issue and we can all do a lot more with it but at the same time life is so busy with all kinds of shite that it’s hard to be as committed as you’d like to be.

I mean giving up meat? I mean I just can’t do that. And never flying again? I mean, I fucking love a holiday, know what I mean?

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I mean giving up meat? I mean I just can’t do that. And never flying again? I mean, I fucking love a holiday, know what I mean?

Hell to the yeah.

I've came back from Berlin recently. Got another 2 holidays booked before the end of the year.

I blame the cheap prices. Mad that you can go to beautiful places in Europe for a week with flight, hotel including breakfast for less than £150.

Been reading a bit about the PETM (Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum) recently. This was a period around 55m years ago where the earth's temperature rose between 5-8 degrees, effectively wiping out 50% of microbial life in our oceans. Evidence suggests just a slight warming of ocean temperatures could contribute to a massive die-off of oceanic microbes. The methane from which would accelerate global warming.

The parallels with the current climate emergency are frightening as the carbon we're pumping into the atmosphere is at a similar rate to that which caused the PETM.  

On  positive note, uk.gov recently auctioned off large swathes of offshore windfarm subsidies. The price for wind-power has plummeted in the last decade and is set to drop further.  OIl extraction is becoming more hazardous and thus expensive. Surely there will come point where the cost of producing 1MW of clean energy will cost far less than an extraacing, refining and transporting an equivalent amount of oil. Then, we use renewables to electrolyse Hydrogen fuel from water- it's got to be part of the answer.

• Upvote 1

RT have just run a fairly shameful hit job on Thunberg, accusing her of being a messiah and climate change activists a religious cult. I think we can gather from it that the Russian state won’t be looking to make themselves carbon neutral any time soon, or at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 06:19, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'll be pissed off if there's such thing as reincarnation. 

So it can't be changed.  Must be why billionaires are yachting up. Is this really end times?

I'm not so sure about the Yacht thing, but certainly the rocketing of house prices in places like Dunedin may be linked to how they are thinking i.e. underground bunkers guarded by drones and laser dogs. 

It's also one of the reasons they are so keen and in some jurisdictions have had their lackeys pass huge tax cuts for themselves, that in effect for the super-rich is climate change legislation.

• Upvote 1