You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

Governments are just paying lip service to the issue and all the while oil remains the biggest business in the world. Legislation and proper investment in renewable energy could solve this problem tomorrow but the appetite for it just isn’t there from the people in charge. Until there is, what people do on a personal level won’t make a blind bit of difference. There’s a decent documentary on Netflix at the minute, made by Leonardo DiCaprio. It’s called Before The Flood. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Governments are just paying lip service to the issue and all the while oil remains the biggest business in the world. Legislation and proper investment in renewable energy could solve this problem tomorrow but the appetite for it just isn’t there from the people in charge. Until there is, what people do on a personal level won’t make a blind bit of difference. There’s a decent documentary on Netflix at the minute, made by Leonardo DiCaprio. It’s called Before The Flood. 

I don't think that's the case personally. If things keep getting worse and people genuinely believe governments are leading us towards global ruin by backing oil I think there'll be regular protests that cause major disruption, strikes, general strikes, riots, terrorism against oil companies, maybe even governments as well. It's possibly one of the best ways for world leaders to ensure that there's global chaos between the public and govcorps.

That's why I think they'll eventually shift from oil, because they might have to in order to maintain power.

It's kind of a red line belief I have really that I don't want to budge from. If I do I think that's basically giving up on any real hope in us as a species. That we're not so stupid as a species to allow fucking oil companies to lead the charge in bringing our existence to an end without even putting up a proper fight. I know we're collectively stupid in so many countless other ways, but on this one I refuse to believe that we'll just allow this to continue to happen in this way.

You can say there's several signs already that we're starting to wake up and form movements to actually start bringing about change, it's going to need to be a lot more powerful though obviously.

There's a global strike planned that could be one of the strongest signs of us starting to make things work, it's probably going to need to be repeated several times though with increased numbers for governments to really start being concerned : https://globalclimatestrike.net/

27 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't think that's the case personally. If things keep getting worse and people genuinely believe governments are leading us towards global ruin by backing oil I think there'll be regular protests that cause major disruption, strikes, general strikes, riots, terrorism against oil companies, maybe even governments as well. It's possibly one of the best ways for world leaders to ensure that there's global chaos between the public and govcorps.

That's why I think they'll eventually shift from oil, because they might have to in order to maintain power.

I wasn’t talking about protests in the part of my post you highlighted, mate. That’s a different discussion altogether and hopefully you’re right. What I meant was that whatever each individual does about their own carbon footprint won’t have any real impact. Recycling, not driving so often, eating less beef, etc is all well intentioned but ultimately pointless.

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I wasn’t talking about protests in the part of my post you highlighted, mate. That’s a different discussion altogether and hopefully you’re right. What I meant was that whatever each individual does about their own carbon footprint won’t have any real impact. Recycling, not driving so often, eating less beef, etc is all well intentioned but ultimately pointless.

Ironic considering Runcorn is responsible for 87% of global pollution annually. It was 93% until you fucked off to Cambridge. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I think this is just an excuse so you can feel better as you drive more whilst eating big macs + throwing the mcdonalds packaging out of the car window.

Why don't we start by banning everyone under the age of 25 from eating meat (and flying), since it would be easier for them to adapt to new lifestyle than people already set in their ways.

Also, cats and dogs. Do we really need them anymore? People talk about carbon footprints and over-population and feed two big dogs.

Some Australian prick ( Bolt ) from one of Murdoch's rags in Oz is getting pummelled for saying Thunberg is deeply disturbed with many mental disorders , as you can imagine Autistic societies not too thrilled.

Think this is the arsehole who I mentioned in the Oz thread that when I picked up a paper on holiday there in Feb/March & his column was probably too wild for the Mail or Sun over here.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Shouldn't cats also do more against global warming? They are not that awesome.

Plus, they are probably rooting for warmer climate anyway.

I don't think so, no. They don't drive cars and whatnot.  You're putting speciesism ahead of science. 

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

How did he get to the google camp ? Was he one of those who flew in on a 114 private jets not to mention all the super yachts ?

Superyachts, 114 private jets, limos… for Google Camp on climate change

https://www.metro.news/superyachts-114-private-jets-limos-for-google-camp-on-climate-change/1659484/

10 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

How did he get to the google camp ? Was he one of those who flew in on a 114 private jets not to mention all the super yachts ?

https://www.metro.news/superyachts-114-private-jets-limos-for-google-camp-on-climate-change/1659484/

TornRegularDarklingbeetle-size_restricte

20 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The film takes a closer look into the possibility of a carbon tax benefiting the American nation. In addition, they state that, "the carbon emissions from Before the Flood were offset through a voluntary carbon tax."

Make of that what you will. 

As bad as it is, even all of us doing our bit of being greener and recycling will have no fucking impact at all while all these big business cunts at the top and having their puppets in government it won't matter at all. They don't give a fuck unless it increases their wealth. Be interesting when it's only them left on a Mars scape of a planet 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

As bad as it is, even all of us doing our bit of being greener and recycling will have no fucking impact at all while all these big business cunts at the top and having their puppets in government it won't matter at all. They don't give a fuck unless it increases their wealth. Be interesting when it's only them left on a Mars scape of a planet 

That's why I'm looking forward to these general strikes. If they get that sorted (and it's not a one off but done often) there's no way they can ignore the money that's going to be lost there.

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I don't see enough people involved. 

Too many people vastly in debt or with massive mortgages they can't afford. 

I think it'll be enough if people realise how serious things have got. If not though we might be fucked if we can't get a general strike going even when the environment we have to live in is at stake.

• 1 month later...
Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Fair play to everyone involved in the protests all over the globe today.

Inspirational stuff.

Yeah, huge one in Bielefeld City centre today. I had to pick up the youngest lad from his school trip and the Train station area and City centre were chock a block, some real nice fanny to oggle at as well, plus it was quite warm today and they mainly had skimpy T shirts on. So there you have it lads, join a climate change group and do something for the planet, and probably get laid.

Just checked, 11.500 according to Police, more than double than they expected.