You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

It's not necessarily that the science proves anything it's how the data is presented. In my own field, big business has lied and massaged the figures to get people to take pharmaceuticals that are harmful. We're talking suicide and such like. You argument is distinctly flimsy, people have agenda, I trust those who are in it for the knowledge over those who stand to lose millions, if not billions. It's the way of the world.

Do you know how much money is spent on funding climate change research? Do you know how many careers this field has created? Do you think the persecution of Bjorn Lomberg was normal?

I think there is too much scare-mongering over this issue. I am deeply suspicious of our government's desire to raise further taxes to combat the problem. I don't think they are wisely using the vast sums of money they already receive from the taxpayer.

On a personal level we have various boxes to recycle different things - paper, glass, plastic etc. I do these things primarily because it is good stewardship of resources, not because of beig too bothered by climate change.

The main problem is going to be China, and, to a lesser extent, India. They are vast population centres and they are rapidly on the way to a western syle of life (in terms of amenities and standard of living). I can't see climate change fears putting the brakes on their rapid development.

On another note, the Romans produced wine from their own vineyards when they were here. I'm no historian, but I think that may have been before the industrial revolution!

Further to this, I'm not so sure that people are taking an adequate view in terms of the cyclical nature of climate change. We are actually in between Ice Ages in northern europe. These have come and gone over many hundreds of thousands of years irrespective of human interference.

We just have to invent some special atmosphere machines that can sort all this shit out when it comes to the crunch.

Im liking you're thinking there TK...atmosphere processing plants...Like in Aliens...where the machines generate an artificial atmosphere...and, er, everyone gets alien-ed to death. hmm...

Climate change is happening, and there is sweet fuck all we can do about it as we don't really have a clue as to the complex feedback mechanisms inherent in our weather systems.

All those who bleat about aerosols in the atmosphere helping this warming, also bear in mind that those same aerosols also helped to filter out the Suns warmy glowing warming glow. 6 of 1, half a dozen. There is so much theory in climate science, nowt is yet set in stone, just a few broad principles.

Well, there is one short-term cure. A limited nuclear exchange, spread around a large area with the equivalent of 100 Hiroshima explosions has been theorized to bring about a limited nuclear winter with a short-term temperature drop of up to 2C over a 10 year period. This 10 year drop may well be enough to interrupt the pattern change that is evident and slow, or even reverse enough to bring back to normality (normality being the global mean 1961-2000 temp average) global weather patterns.

Too drastic to be considered, or a case of "we have no choice"? And who should we nuke?

I try my best, recycle, walk when I can, turn the heating down, lights etc.

However as long as there's women on this earth we're fucked. Does anybody else get home from work to find the heating up full belt, every fuckin light on and every cuntin telly in the house on?

I try my best, recycle, walk when I can, turn the heating down, lights etc.

However as long as there's women on this earth we're fucked. Does anybody else get home from work to find the heating up full belt, every fuckin light on and every cuntin telly in the house on?

Completely pissed myself. Very, very true. Mrs Paul walks round the house with the sole purpose of turning lights on, it seems. I end up feeling like Jim Royle, telling her to turn them all off.

On the wider issue, I reckon the only way to stop the adverse effects of CO2 emissions is to replace fossil fuel use completely. We need fusion technology to become cheap and safe as soon as possible. How ace would it be to have your own little sun powering your motor?

• 12 years later...

The 10 hottest years recorded in Britain have all occurred in the last 17 years. Read another study the other day that said the body's cooling mechanism is ineffective once temperatures hit 35 degrees. The moisture in the air at that temperature negates the effect of sweating and even drinking cold water.

Estimates are that we'll be experiencing temperatures akin to Barcelona soon. In conclusion, we're fucked.

Very interesting reading G Richards’ old posts. I was surprised to see him appearing so sceptical. I wonder what his thoughts are now.

I’m appalled and sickened by what we’re doing to our collective home and feel hugely pessimistic about the prospects of being able to reverse the damage we have done and continue to do to our planet...and the powerlessness to make any real difference 

Guest Pistonbroke

Over here we've had recycling bins for donkey years. One for normal rubbish, one for Recyclables, one for paper, one for Biodegradable and glass containers near most major areas. Always try to save electric where possible, which involves me following the kids about turning lights off. Only drive the car when I have to, I usually walk to places if they are less than 3km away. Could do more, but at what cost to the family do you say enough is enough....far too many people don't give a shit though, and unless big business's and those who don't give a shit start pulling their weight then we are only heading for the inevitable.  

On 05/01/2007 at 12:17, Thants said:

Weeksie, can you ask her why we cant have brown paper (recycled) bags like the Americans instead of the plastic ones??

Thants was ahead of his time. 

On 05/01/2007 at 12:54, Stu Monty said:

This may be the opposite of what people expect but I'm really not that bothered at all. It's not an issue that I personally can change; not when the US, China, Russia and India couldn't give a flying fuck.

Always knew Monty was an asshat. 

Ive been ecobricking lots of my non-recyclable plastic for the last year. Every little helps, and I now only put my big bin out once every couple of months now. 

https://www.ecobricks.org/

• Upvote 3

I think that since I've become a dad this shit has worried me more. I think there are two major things going on that need to be looked at

1) Carbon emissions

2) Pollution such as plastics in the environment

I think both are well within our capacity to change, but it is a huge cultural shift required. We need to see the end of this profit at all costs mentality for a start.

In terms of plastics, we've now discovered an enzyme which can break down plastic in about a month. If we can harness that the clean up can begin. In terms of new single use plastics etc, there are new forms of plastic being developed all the time which are 100% biodegradable.

In terms of carbon, we need to throw everything at renewables & invest heavily in rewilding. I think planting 13 trillion trees would effectively cancel out the huge amount of carbon we have pumped into the atmosphere, but the problem is we're chopping down the Amazon again.