You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What would you prefer?

Stu Monty

Which situation would you prefer?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Which situation would you prefer?

• Liverpool finish second and United win the league
    • Liverpool finish third and Chelsea win the league

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should always want Liverpool to do as well as possible. 2nd is better than 3rd every time, even more so with a longer summer break on offer with no qualifying CL tie to negitiate.

Would people take 10th every season for the next 10 years, on the proviso that Man Utd never won another title during that time?

It would keep our record 19-15 intact!

We should always want Liverpool to do as well as possible. 2nd is better than 3rd every time, even more so with a longer summer break on offer with no qualifying CL tie to negitiate.

Would people take 10th every season for the next 10 years, on the proviso that Man Utd never won another title during that time?

It would keep our record 19-15 intact!

Oops - I mean 18-15, as it currently stands.

Guest TK-421

Of course they wouldn't that's a completely different question. For me the overriding factor is not wanting the Mancs to catch us, I can handle a CL qualifier for that. Two extra games shouldn't ruin our whole season, the only real advantage I can see in finishing second is being able to guarantee CL football to players we are trying to sign.

Of course they wouldn't that's a completely different question. For me the overriding factor is not wanting the Mancs to catch us, I can handle a CL qualifier for that. Two extra games shouldn't ruin our whole season, the only real advantage I can see in finishing second is being able to guarantee CL football to players we are trying to sign.

My example is obviously ludicrous, but it does guarantee, for the next 10 years, that the Mancs do not catch us!

Surely any right thinking Liverpool fan wants the best for Liverpool every time. Second is better than third.

by saying we don't want the mancs closing in on our precious record, we're basically saying, or conceding, that we don't think we'll ever add to it.

Guest TK-421

Surely any right thinking Liverpool fan wants the best for Liverpool every time. Second is better than third.

It's not that much better though, the consequences of the Mancs having another title in the bag offset any advantage of finishing 2nd instead of 3rd. The reasons put forward by the "finish second" brigade aren't convincing enough.

Guest TK-421
by saying we don't want the mancs closing in on our precious record, we're basically saying, or conceding, that we don't think we'll ever add to it.

It's not that, it's just they're getting a bit too close for comfort.

there is a point though. even if they do win number 15, can u see us not winning the title for another 3 years?

So, having thought about my initial statement, fuck it, 2nd and the Mancs. Plus it'll be good for football as well as it may go someway to proving that you can't always buy success (Shevchenko!)

So let the mancs win it, if we finish above chelsea I'll be happy. Lets just hope the trophy room staff at Old Toilet keep it clean for us for 2007/2008

Hard, hard, hard question. I've gone for the 'Utd 1st, us 2nd' one. We're gonna win the Prem soon so 19's not that far away, and I think when we win 19, we won't have to wait as long for 20, 21, 22 etc.

And i'd love to see Maureen's face if we finished aboved them in the Prem.

good point about Moaninho...seem to remeber him saying Chelseas only challenge would come from the mancs and arsenal...still can't bring meself to vote tho'

It would hurt like hell seeing the mancs win it. But finishing above the bastards and freak show that are Chelsea would ease the pain a bit.

I will always hope for the best for Liverpool. Finishing 2nd is so much better than third for the reason already mentioned.

Sums it up for me

I'd rather we finished third than the mancs win it myself. I'm sort of used to Chelsea winning it now and although it's a horrible feeling, it isn't anything compared to seeing the likes of Fergie and Neville walking around with that trophy.

I also don't buy into the whole 'we'll win the title soon anyway' view because we've been saying that for about ten years!

Nothing is granted in football so i'd rather we kept up our supremacy over the cunts from down the Lancs for the time being.

Very tough question though (and also very good).

I'd rather we finished third than the mancs win it myself. I'm sort of used to Chelsea winning it now and although it's a horrible feeling, it isn't anything compared to seeing the likes of Fergie and Neville walking around with that trophy.

I also don't buy into the whole 'we'll win the title soon anyway' view because we've been saying that for about ten years!

Nothing is granted in football so i'd rather we kept up our supremacy over the cunts from down the Lancs for the time being.

Very tough question though (and also very good).

I reckon we'll win it soon. I'm not saying next season or nothing. But what happens if Chelsea win it on and off for the next 20 years?

You'd have a lot of reds turning bitter.

I've got evertonian mates who don't care if Everton lost as long as Liverpool do too.

I reckon we'll win it soon. I'm not saying next season or nothing. But what happens if Chelsea win it on and off for the next 20 years?

I've got evertonian mates who don't care if Everton lost as long as Liverpool do too.

I can see what you're saying, but Utd losing is not the be all and end all for me - far from it. Them winning the title effects us in a massive way IMO, whereas Chelsea winning it isn't in the same stratosphere.

Different sentiment though, we don't want the mancs to win over chelsea as they are closing in on our number of titles. It's not bitterness, it's MAFFS!