You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you like Christmas?

Guest TK-421

Do you like Christmas  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Christmas

• Yes - peace and goodwill to all men, women, children and squid
    • No - fuck the whole thing off

23 minutes ago, Teasmaid said:

Bubble and squeak, now you’re talking my language. It’s too often overlooked in these northern parts. I thank my 50% cockney genes for my love of fried mash and cabbage.

Can I add, in my defence, I wouldn’t even expect the buggers to cook the whole dinner. I’d be happy if they offered to peel a bag of spuds and make breakfast. 

Did a roast Sunday, always do far too much veg for the bubble and squeak. 

This weeks offering...

A607CB17-96E5-4524-A1FA-AE31F1D14645.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Two Christmas dinners this year.

Me, parents and aunt on the day itself, and the same with brother, his wife and two nieces on Boxing Day. Joy.

Deliberating whether you mean this or whether you’re being sarcastic.

I love Christmas dinner but I wouldn’t want to eat it 2 days in a row...although thinking about it I would never choose to eat anything for my main meal 2 days in a row

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Champ said:

I love Christmas dinner but I wouldn’t want to eat it 2 days in a row...although thinking about it I would never choose to eat anything for my main meal 2 days in a row

As I said above, we, as a family, did it for years.

Then again, I’ve been known to eat the same food every day for weeks on end. Haven’t done it for a few years now, though.

13 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

It’s fucking shite.  

I’m buying no one apart from my 6 year old niece a present, I’m not seeing my mum until the 28th and will get obscenely drunk with my dad and brother on Christmas Day. 

That sounds like you’re having a day of doing what you want to do...which is a whole lot more than many people. What’s so ‘fucking shite’ about that?

59 minutes ago, Champ said:

Definite sarcasm this time.

21 hours ago, Mook said:

I always felt sorry for my Mum at Christmas, slaving away in the kitchen while everyone else was living the life of riley in the living room. I never even liked Christmas dinner either:-

Sprouts - disgusting

Turkey - second rate chicken

Roast potatoes - I'm sorry but they're overrated, it's just a fucking tattie

Christmas cake - utterly rank, who wants fruit in a cake?

Plus, why do we fuck up our meal times just because Jesus was hung on this day 2,018 years ago, having your meal at 3 in the afternoon is an affront to civilised society.

I keep saying to my mother in law that we'll just get a curry in but she's insistent that we have to have the full traditional works. Fuck knows why people have to go through all that shit every year, get a curry in, it's 20 times better & a million times less hassle & it all ends up coming out your arsehole anyway.

Mook has now become Grinch.

A roast dinner is pretty easy cooking really isn’t it? 

Bung the turkey in the oven, then the roasties (plus any other roasted veg) on, drink for an hour or so, then get the green veg on.

I’m shit at gravy though, so always get the missus on that.

A full English for breakfast seems over the top though, I’d knock that on the head. Bacon sarnies should suffice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Mook has now become Grinch.

Mook’s always been the Grinch. I was just hoping having kids might have softened his heart a little 

7 minutes ago, magicrat said:

He makes a few points. Turkey is second rate chicken

You’re both wrong about turkey. 

Its maybe not as versatile as chicken but cooked whole it beats chicken by a country mile

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Roast potatoes are overrated? Fuck off, man. You've either not had them done right or you've got no tastebuds. 

Don't get me wrong, I like roast potatoes but the way people go on about them, you'd think they were the greatest thing going when in reality it's just a potato cooked really nicely.

I'd happily swap the whole lot & get a chicken bhuna in from the local curry house, save everybody a load of fucking hassle.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Don't get me wrong, I like roast potatoes but the way people go on about them, you'd think they were the greatest thing going when in reality it's just a potato cooked really nicely.

I'd happily swap the whole lot & get a chicken bhuna in from the local curry house, save everybody a load of fucking hassle.

I take your point on it just being a nicely cooked potato. I disagree on the bhuna, because if you get some really nicely roasted meat (pork with crackling, ta), nice veg, gravy... fuck yeah, I'd have that over most things.

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

I take your point on it just being a nicely cooked potato. I disagree on the bhuna, because if you get some really nicely roasted meat (pork with crackling, ta), nice veg, gravy... fuck yeah, I'd have that over most things.

Aye, I mean a roast dinner is a nice change & I'm sure most people would prefer it over an Indian/Chinese on Christmas Day but my original point was about saving the poor bastard in the kitchen a load of grief.

Potatoes are one of my top 5 favourite foods.

Mook, your local Indian restaurant/takeaway must be boss? The ones in York range from average to awful, in my opinion. Which is odd, given there are plenty of good ones not too far away, in Leeds, Bradford, etc. About 6 months ago, my wife had food poisoning from a place here. A shame, as up until then it had been one of the better ones.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Aye, I mean a roast dinner is a nice change & I'm sure most people would prefer it over an Indian/Chinese on Christmas Day but my original point was about saving the poor bastard in the kitchen a load of grief.

So some other poor bastard has to slave away in a takeaway kitchen working on Christmas day? 

You're an absolute monster, Mook!

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Mook said:

Have you suggested it?

A lot of people like the rituals of Christmas but it’s not the law to try something different once in a while