You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Field a minimum amount of local players in Match

oxtailsoup

I'm sure this has been discussed before but what are your views on a rule that would force English teams to field a minimum amount of home grown talent on match days in the Premiership?

I know that UEFA were supposed to be looking at something like this for European matches.

I understand that times have changed and obviously the money men rule the game now. I just personally think it would be great if Liverpool FC means a team with a core of home grown players. Lets say you have to field a minimum of 6 home grown players in every team as an example.

Can't see it ever happening of course! But anybody else for it or against the idea?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but what are your views on a rule that would force English teams to field a minimum amount of home grown talent on match days in the Premiership?

I know that UEFA were supposed to be looking at something like this for European matches.

I understand that times have changed and obviously the money men rule the game now. I just personally think it would be great if Liverpool FC means a team with a core of home grown players. Lets say you have to field a minimum of 6 home grown players in every team as an example.

Can't see it ever happening of course! But anybody else for it or against the idea?

how home grown?

when did we ever really have that though? it's always been a mixture of scottish, Irish, Welsh, English and scouse and it's the same today except theres more scandos and spanyards than scots.

I think the whole squad of any club should be of home grown players only ... this is the best way to stop money from being the major factor in competing for honours and shift the focus from investing in transfers to investing in youth development. It's the only way to reignite football romance and give all clubs a fair chance of competing.

I think the whole squad of any club should be of home grown players only ... this is the best way to stop money from being the major factor in competing for honours and shift the focus from investing in transfers to investing in youth development. It's the only way to reignite football romance and give all clubs a fair chance of competing.

Premier league and european football is a billion pound business, there is little room for romance. They save that for the FA cup.

Hmm. Not fair on ambitious clubs from small areas though is it. And it's also a restriction of peoples rights to work where they want to.

Hmm. Not fair on ambitious clubs from small areas though is it.

Not as un-fair as the current system is on small clubs though!

And it's also a restriction of peoples rights to work where they want to.

That's the key point I guess .. when playing football is considered "work" there's no room for romance any more :yes:

Uefa were looking for a quota of academy kids and players from the same country - we have academy kids from all over - the 25 mile restriction is a bit of a nonsense

Every prem club is legally obliged to have an academy as I understand it, small clubs with ambition would be advised to have one as well.........

The uefa rules would have had Pongolle and Le Tallec as 'home grown' I think the criteria is so many years at the academy before 21......

what might help slightly is if you allowed 7 subs but say the extra two have to be academy kids...........

restricting the squad size except for academy kids would be another - i.e you can have 20 pro's the rest of the squad have to be from the academy which basically boils down to being U-21

but what would also have to happen is somehow the reserves league would have to be dramatically improved so the step up was not so great -

i don't remember too many people complaining about the lack of english players, let alone scouse in the 1986 double winning side. yes it's nice to have local lads, but it's not the be all and end all for me. part of the skill of the game is not just putting out 11 men on the field, but finding the right 11 men from wherever you can and making them integate into your team and area.

i don't remember too many people complaining about the lack of english players, let alone scouse in the 1986 double winning side. yes it's nice to have local lads, but it's not the be all and end all for me. part of the skill of the game is not just putting out 11 men on the field, but finding the right 11 men from wherever you can and making them integate into your team and area.

true the likes of Hyypia, Riise and Hamann will always be honorary scousers. not just because they adopted the accent but becuase of their attitude and respect for the club and it's traditions.