You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do the Sheikh's ethics concern you?

Red Mist

Are you concerned with the way the Sheikh rules his country?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Are you concerned with the way the Sheikh rules his country?

• Yes, if he is guilty of all the alleged charges, we should not be associated with him
    • No, don't give a shit as long as he pumps our club with lots of money

Yes certain leaders of the western world have a lot to answer for but I think you could also make that statement about certain leaders in the Muslim world.

Agreed. In fact, much (much!) more so.

In no way would I ever imply that the ills of the Muslim world are primarily due to the West. They're not.

The silence from the muslim world in general about many atrocities commited by "so called" muslims , Dafour for example, is deafening.

Agreed. When all this stupid talk about Muslims and the Holocaust kicked off, I did make a reference to the Armenian massacres, where there IS a lot to answer for (mainly by those Turkish army officers who later overthrew the caliphate, and have since been enshrined as quasi-gods by the modern Turkish state).

Darfur is a good point. Its not really a Muslim v someone else issue (as the North v South civil war was). Most of the victims are Muslim.

See this quote, from Peter Takirambudde, executive director for Human Rights Watch's Africa division:

"Allowing the Sudanese government to hide its crimes behind Arab solidarity would be an insult to more than one million Muslim victims in Darfur"

The spread of the Sahara desert has placed huge pressure for land and water resources. This a mad land grab, prosecuted by a vicious militia with government support, wrapped up in Arab v African racism (even though there has been so much intermarriage, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart, until they spoke their native language).

The Sudan government couldn't even use its own troops for this, as many of them come from those tribes who are now being driven out. Which is why they had to recruit the Janjaweed, who are primarily nomads, to do the killing.

Darfur has been rightly described as a potential genocide, unravelling in slow motion. It is NOT too late to stop it.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bored off the whole thing already. Not your fault and I apologise if I appear off hand.

that may be the case so the suggestion would be that you just ignore it which is what most people on the forum do when they find a comment innane, stupid or does not interest them.

ISR was replying to a response from me to him which took me a couple of days to get to. ISR - thanks for the reply