You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do the Sheikh's ethics concern you?

Red Mist

Are you concerned with the way the Sheikh rules his country?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Are you concerned with the way the Sheikh rules his country?

• Yes, if he is guilty of all the alleged charges, we should not be associated with him
    • No, don't give a shit as long as he pumps our club with lots of money

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compare to most Billionaires... these lot are saints.

I don't know if that's quite true, but they're certainly good guys by the standards of the Middle East. However, there are some very dodgy human rights violations in Dubai that do still cause concern.

Not wishing to piss on your fire and that mate.:no But his money will stop a debt of 80mill escalating any further towards the magical 100mill point. And also our gaffer has said that he welcomes the chance to have a bit more dough to spend, this for me is fighting talk from him and I fucking love his confidence. On the downside I seriously think we could have lost him if this investment was not forthcoming. Which is one of the biggest reasons I am totally for this takeover.

I didn't explain myself very well. The money will, without a doubt, help us as a club. I simply meant it isn't a guarantee of success on the pitch ala, Leeds.

I do however believe we have the best manager to make use of said funds whilst not insulting the footballing world by buying players to block ones rivals.

Guest bigf00t
I don't know if that's quite true, but they're certainly good guys by the standards of the Middle East. However, there are some very dodgy human rights violations in Dubai that do still cause concern.

I can point you to muslims that will give you a list of about 3000 things wrong with britain (and democracy in general)... things which go against your basic human rights.

by the standards of the middle east?

Oh yes... because there all barbaric idiots over there... yeah...

I can point you to muslims that will give you a list of about 3000 things wrong with britain (and democracy in general)... things which go against your basic human rights.

Christ you have a massive chip on your shoulder lad.

Without getting into a back and forth about the the UAE and human rights, it'd be interesting to know if the people saying they want the title/success at any price would object to ANYONE with enough money to make it a reality.

Murdoch taking over with Kelvin MacKenzie as CEO? If all you want is the title, what's the difference?

Yeah, well I can guarantee that any human rights problems we may have here aren't in the same league as the abuse of migrant workers, or the death penalty for homsexuals.

I don't recall saying that.

I didn't explain myself very well. The money will, without a doubt, help us as a club. I simply meant it isn't a guarantee of success on the pitch ala, Leeds.

I do however believe we have the best manager to make use of said funds whilst not insulting the footballing world by buying players to block ones rivals.

Agreed, Rafa will use this money in the right way and I can still only see him paying what he thinks a player is worth. When we were struggling to buy Kuyt this year it may not be a struggle with others next year.

I remember Parry saying how we gambled with the money we spent on Kuyt because if we had'nt qualified into the group stages we would have been up shit creek literally. That was scary and just shows how close to the edge we were teetering.

I don't recall saying that.

Yes, you did (on the original investment thread).

No, I'm not going to elaborate on that in this thread (I did over there).

(edit: the rest of this post belongs better in the other thread.)

Racism works both ways, across all colours and across all genders.

Mine was just a case in point though mate, if you think I should have said "farting in the same room as an ethnic/non British person".

Then I offer my wholehearted apology to your goodself and will look to sharpen up my act in the future.

Yeah, well I can guarantee that any human rights problems we may have here aren't in the same league as the abuse of migrant workers, or the death penalty for homsexuals.

Migrant workers are abused in this country.

I remember several news stories in the summer about strawberry pickers from Romania (I think) earning a pittance and living in poor conditions in the UK.

It's not right in either case but from what I have read the UAE President, or whatever he is, is the one who is starting to make changes that improve working and living conditions for the immigrant workers.

Your second point is an age old law which is apparently never practiced.

Really can't answer this one on the options available. It's a different culture and I don't know enough about what they have/haven't done. They seem pretty moderate for a muslim state.

If you read some of the stuff I have which refute, or at least explain the nature of, some of the allegations you will find that most of them are phoney hyperbole.

Investment or not I have long since held the opinion that the arrogance from the West is astounding.

Unless it's something so bad that the world (or UN) can simply not ignore then we should just live and let live.

It's why the world, and the Middle East, is in such a mess - interference from the West being condoned by it's judgemental citizens.

If we will accept investment from only the purest of the pure then it aint never gonna happen.

The bottom line is that every country does something bad in someone elses opinion.

Those who are concerned with the UAE human rights record should read as much as they can and come to an informed decision, not just stuff written by the agenda driven or green eyed monsters.

Guest bigf00t
If you read some of the stuff I have which refute, or at least explain the nature of, some of the allegations you will find that most of them are phoney hyperbole.

Investment or not I have long since held the opinion that the arrogance from the West is astounding.

Unless it's something so bad that the world (or UN) can simply not ignore then we should just live and let live.

It's why the world, and the Middle East, is in such a mess - interference from the West being condoned by it's judgemental citizens.

I agree... its amazing how people in the west believe their way of doing things is the Right way to do things simply because its their way...

"Liberating" the people, right?

For me aslong as he treats our club with respect and keeps it's values then thats all I really care about to be honest. What he does in his own country is his buisness, unless of course he was some mad dictator then I think we would have a problem...