You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

CD or download, or the ancient vinyl-option?

kop

Well?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Download only
    • CD only
    • Vinyl....only
    • Both CD and download (and vinyl....)
    • None, I don't listen to music

So true mate. And the feeling you get when you open a new record and its all staticy...mmm....

Mind you, records are cunts when its time to move house :whistle:

Again, so true. The attitude in proper record shops always makes me chuckle, like they are doing you a favour. And you have to know exactly what sort of click/house/break/minimal/progressive/electro genre the spotty 18 year old kid working there likes at the moment.

So fuck that, I get 90% of my new vinyl from http://www.juno.co.uk. Been using them for years, never let me down.

I've only ever found one and a half exceptions to that rule. Fat City in Manchester was ace (haven't actually set foot in there in over five years, despite continuing to spends hundreds with them every year). They were always just really into bantering about stuff and would grab things to play to you while chatting. Martin Brew was a bit of a surly tit, mind - although Henry Thingy-o from Riton was just the most enthusiastic music head I've ever met (and I've met a few). They'd always round what I bought down to the nearest fiver, which was nice of them, too.

Warp in Sheffield was always ace, though. Even when the twats & pluggers were surrounding the decks and counter, the staff would always give you their time and knowledge.

• 6 years later...

I am strictly download now for simplicity more than anything

And I don't have a record player.

However I am looking to build up a vinyl collection in the coming years, as something does feel missing when all that is involved is two clicks and the music is there.

There is no bus ride into town, no searching for hidden gems using your fingers and flicking the album in front like a loon , no talking to other music fans, no smelling of the vinyl in it's wrapping on the bus home, no excitement in reading the sleeve notes. No orgasm when you drop the needle on and them first notes stream out of your speakers like a waterfall of love and affection.

Life just isn't the same.

I still buy CD's all the time.

I want what I've bought to be able to hold in my hand. I guess that doesn't make me a friend of the earth but I don't care in this instance. I love music, and I love getting old CD's out and playing them for nostalgic reasons. Like the ocean colour scene album I almost wore out in my last year in high school. That copy, with its scratched to fuck cover, will always remind me of that time of my life. Obviously its different now as as soon as I've bought the CD it goes straight on my laptop for various places to end up, bit also the cd might end up in my car.

I will always buy CD's. Probably.

Interesting that vinyl has managed to hang on in there while cassettes had their time and just disappeared.

Whenever I started to buy music, tapes were my choice for convenience and durability as I was always shit scared of scratching the vinyl records!

I came across an old box of tapes a while back and looked at them as if they were from the middle ages. Really strange technology.