You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cure for Hangover

Nunavut Patrick

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out last night, sweated most of the alcahol out of my system in the night club went to sleep fairly sober, yet today I felt rough. =/

Not too bad though, managed to get some Mcdonalds in me and feel abit better.

• 2 months later...

It's all shite. Paracetamol might ease a headache, and water will rehydrate you, but nothing except for the passage of time will stop that shaky, washed-out, sickly feeling.

When you're 18, you can take a couple of tablets and have some breakfast and be feeling right as rain by mid-morning. By the time you hit your thirties, a real hangover is an arduous 48 hour marathon. I very, very rarely get drunk now because no matter how good a night out is, it just isn't worth the hangover hell which follows.

In this order:

(On the night)

1) Greasy takeaway

2) Water, pint or two.

3) a 'Berocca', one of those insane multi-vits which will make your piss look nuclear.

(Next Day)

1) No coffee. Although I love a good cup of coffee I think it makes the shakes worse and that fragile feeling a bit worse.

2) Fried Breakfast.

3) If you can manage it, go for a thirty minute cardio exercise. This isn't possible with all hangovers but it's a great one to get you sweating out the alcohol. This was my favourite when I worked in a place with a gym in the building if I'd been out on a midweek session. I'd head in at lunchtime and by the afternoon feel right as rain.

These work alright for damage limitation.

Eating lots and drinking lots (not alcohol obviously) before you start drinking, to make sure your body is fit for the fight. Drinking on an empty stomach or when being "not hydrated" is guaranteed to give you a worse hangover.

Drinking, eating when you get in, and generally not going to bed before you start to feel a bit more sober also helps, but can be very difficult due to tiredness etc.

the biggest problem with hangovers is when you're so ill you can't eat. the only solution then is

a) sleep more. if this is difficult due to headache, cooling down your head with ice cold water may help. medicine may also help; paracetamol etc.

b) throw up. either by own will or fingers in your throat. (this is for worst case scenario hangovers only - feeling to die etc.)

Coffee may help for clearing your head, but can only (IMO) be consumed after lots of water (not straight after, but time-wise) to avoid dehydration.

A cheese and ham pizza from one of those horrible Turkish pizza places before you head home to soak up the ale.

Once your home, have a tug (optional). Have a glass of water. Then take another glass up to bed for when you wake up with a mouth like the Sahara desert.

When you wake up feeling rough, drink the water, have an ale shit, shower then a fry up.

Then get back on the ale.

Hangover gone.

Can I oblige with the prevention is better than cure route?

Down a bottle of water every few pints or so, get some greasy food down you before going home then followed by a couple of pints of water before you fuck off to bed. Then, when you get the inevitable early morning wake and shake, down another pint of water and two ibuoprofen. Wake up at 10am right as rain.

Can I oblige with the prevention is better than cure route?

Down a bottle of water every few pints or so, get some greasy food down you before going home then followed by a couple of pints of water before you fuck off to bed. Then, when you get the inevitable early morning wake and shake, down another pint of water and two ibuoprofen. Wake up at 10am right as rain.

I thought that.

Eradicate the problem before it occurs.

Like a motherfucker.

• 9 months later...

I've learnt to drink in moderation and never get hangovers. People go out, get mortal on a variety of different drinks in a short space of time and then complain they're hungover. Eating something right before you go out or in the middle of your drinking usually solves the problem too.

In my experience nothing will cure a proper hangover, except getting drunk again.

The scientific explanation is a bunch of combined things like dehydration, the ethanol being turned into acetaldehyde by the liver which the turns into acidic acid which is supposed to be the main culprit...

I've learnt to drink in moderation and never get hangovers. People go out, get mortal on a variety of different drinks in a short space of time and then complain they're hungover. Eating something right before you go out or in the middle of your drinking usually solves the problem too.

Does drinking in moderation not take all the "fun" out of it?

When I used to drink, I used to moderate the hangover by getting my hangover preparation kit ready before going out, then hitting it before going to bed.

Two pints of water to rehydrate you.

Two paracetamol to control your body temperature whilst asleep.

Two slices of marmite on toast to line your stomach and give you back some salt and stuff.

Now of course, I don't have to bother. Marvelous.

here is my cure-all solution and you have my word and utmost GUARANTEE that it works every single time. I've refined this over the last year or so and I now do it most Saturday or Sunday mornings.

In fact, i did it this morning having last night drank a whole bottle of brandy. Ouch.

1 x barocca in a pint of water

1 x St John's Wort tablet

2 x Ibuprofen

1 x Milk thistle tablet

2 x paracetamol

Knock back all those pills on an empty stomach with the pint of barocca.

Then 5 minutes later have 2 poached eggs on dry toast, no butter, that's greasy and won't sit well on your little tummy tum tum.

Replacing lost salts is one of the best ways to recover, so If you can stomach it - sometimes I can, sometimes i can't - then without doubt you should also have an Andrew's and drink it whilst it's fizzing. If you can't stomach it, then have some ready salted crisps after you've had your eggs and that.

Only after half an hour, and I mean at LEAST half an hour, can you have a coffee for a caffeine hit. Any sooner and it will dehydrate you further before your berrocca has had a chance to compete.

i absolutely promise you all that if you do all of this, then within half an hour you will be right as rain again.

Egg whites contan some magic shit that helps with a hangover, St John's Wort is a natural endorphin happy juice releaser, the baroccas will replenish your vitamin levels and re-hydrate you, the Milk thistle works miracles with your liver (get it in tescos for about £2 for 40, likewise st John's Wort), and the paracetamol and ibuprofen will knock spots off your headache... or future headache if you're still drunk when you wake up!

Try it. All of you.

You can all thank me and rep me massively later.

Edited by Tom R