You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best guitar riff ever

wiiksie

So many good riffs to choose from but look no further than Walk.

The best guitarplayer as far as riffs goes is (or sadly was) Dimebag Darrell.

Pantera - Walk, that riff is just too fucking good, unbelievable, Dimebag took 2 notes and delivered the most badass riff ever.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elephant Stone - The Stone Roses

Easy Rider - Leadbelly

A House is not a Motel - Love

Buckets of Rain - Bob Dylan

Love Her Madly - The Doors

She Said She Said - The Beatles

Jumping Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones

Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks

Pills - Bo Diddley

Sure Nuff 'n' Yes I Do - Captain Beefheart

Looking Glass - The La's

Shanty Town - Desmond Dekker

Sustitute- The Who

These are just a few I could mention.

Fantastic thread - has had me going through my albums and discovering some gems on youtube - getting the rolling eyes from the missus as described by Uncle Meat.

Here goes -

Voodoo Child - Jimi (the unsurpassable pinnacle of riffs)

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly (always makes me think of the Simpsons now - "that would be rock and or roll")

Funk 49 - Joe Walsh (joining the Eagles was one of the most tragic mistakes ever)

Red Barchetta - Rush (slightly embarassed about the that one but NP will forgive me and fuck does it raaawk)

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin (thats my favourite today, but it will be another one tomorrow)

5.15 - The Who (again so many to choose from)

Big Eyed Beans From Venus – Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band (ditto)

The Glorious Om Riff - Steve Hillage (good call Uncle M. - gonna dig out some Hillage - the vocals are extremely cringeworthy in places tho)

Stiff Little Fingers – Alternative Ulster (good call Benirl)

How Soon Is Now - The Smiths (lots more contenders)

Helpless - Sugar (from an overlooked classic album by Bob Mould)

Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

Public Image – Public Image Ltd

Getting onto Marillion on the 'What does the Missus do that you dislike' made me realise I could & should have added a few or one of a few Marillion tracks (Steve Rotheray is a VERY under-rated guitarist).

I'll choose 'King' or any one of 3 tracks on Marbles.

Also look at my Avatar-King David Gilmour, he deserved more tracks in hindsight so I'll add;

What Do You Want From Me

Run Like Hell

The intro guitar angelic sound about 4-5 mins into (dah dah dah dah)Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Fantastic thread - has had me going through my albums and discovering some gems on youtube - getting the rolling eyes from the missus as described by Uncle Meat.

Here goes -

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly (always makes me think of the Simpsons now - "that would be rock and or roll")

Or indeed the classic 80's film Manhunter...My particular favourite riff is All the young Dudes

The biggest Rip off of a Led Zep's Trampled Underfoot,

My personal Fave of Primus is Shake Hands With Beef

It is, but I don't mind a rip-off if it's done well.

As for Primus, there's just so many. Too Many Puppies isn't my favourite song of theirs (it isn't even my favourite on Frizzle Fry - that would be John The Fisherman or The Toys Go Winding Down), but it does have that massive crunchy riff.

No Class (even if it is copied off Tush by ZZ Top) is their best guitar work I believe!

You make a good point. Ace Of Spades is just such a definitive chunk of music though - it still takes it for me. In fact, just watch that clip right now and tell me I'm wrong! rockpc7.gif

Indeed, and it always makes me think of this which was also completely ace.

I was thinking "What's going to be in this link then?". Just before the youtube page came up I thought "The Young Ones, it's got to be". Quality. I've been thinking about my Dad a bit today (he died ten years ago today) and that just brought back great memories of sitting in the front room as a teenager (just), revelling in the look of utter confusion on his face at The Young Ones. I remember thinking something like "I know this is funny anyway, but even better my parents don't get it - this is mine, it's for me!"

Of course, it only occurred to me years later that they still let me watch it on the family telly every week. Anyway, cheers for that - it brought back some good memories.

And enough of that. I cannot believe I forgot these two:

Holiday In Cambodia - Dead Kennedys.

California Über Alles - Dead Kennedys.

So many good riffs to choose from but look no further than Walk.

Pantera - Walk, that riff is just too fucking good, unbelievable, Dimebag took 2 notes and delivered the most badass riff ever.

I like most types of music but the best riffs and the most underrated guitarists, are in heavy metal.

Regarding Pantera, Mouth for War, A New Level, Heresy, Shedding Skin, and loads of riffs from Phil Anselmo's side project Down (1st album) are all up there with it, if not better.

Machine Head's first album is packed with amazing riffage. Slayer and Metallica are past masters of the art, shame Slayer's actual SONGwriting isn't that great. Sepultura's Inner Self is a beast. Prong's 'Who's Fist is this anyway' and 'Snap your fingers, Snap your neck' off the Cleansing album are fuckin ace too.

Loads of ace riffs on Soundgarden's Superunknown album - I'd add Fell on Black days and 4th of July to those already mentioned.

I like most types of music but the best riffs and the most underrated guitarists, are in heavy metal.

Regarding Pantera, Mouth for War, A New Level, Heresy, Shedding Skin, and loads of riffs from Phil Anselmo's side project Down (1st album) are all up there with it, if not better.

Machine Head's first album is packed with amazing riffage. Slayer and Metallica are past masters of the art, shame Slayer's actual SONGwriting isn't that great. Sepultura's Inner Self is a beast. Prong's 'Who's Fist is this anyway' and 'Snap your fingers, Snap your neck' off the Cleansing album are fuckin ace too.

Loads of ace riffs on Soundgarden's Superunknown album - I'd add Fell on Black days and 4th of July to those already mentioned.

I agree, alot of metal is technically extremely challanging. And most songs are based on one or several guitar riffs/patterns.

You can pretty much name any Pantera track and it contains a riff which is eye opening really.

But i choose Walk because it's just so fuckin trademark Dimebag, the simplicity, yet it's just so utterly brilliant. Im not the biggest fan of Phil's sideprojects tho. But im sure he collaborated with competent musicians.

Smomaco by Frankie Eiesenhower for me, not sure wether it contains the aformentiond 'rif' but there is defo a guitar in it and the song rules so there, oh yeah an that Tom Ross the lead Vocalist, what a guy, its rumoured his hard drive is harder than anyone elses, he also once told his processor to speed up bitch, the computer then proceeded to work twice as fast, stuff of legends....

Megadeth - Peace sells

Metallica - the unforgiven

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Floods

Im sorry, I cant let that one slip in. its a rock ballad fer christsake.

You should have gone for any of the following:

harvester of sorrow

the four horsemen

the thing that should not be

master of puppets

creeping death

seek and destroy

etc etc

And while Im here:

As much as I loved the Dime, you could argue that without a Hetfield, there wouldnt be a dimebag. You could also argue that without an Iommi there wouldn't be a hetfield. Then without a Hendrix etc...

Smomaco by Frankie Eiesenhower for me, not sure wether it contains the aformentiond 'rif' but there is defo a guitar in it and the song rules so there, oh yeah an that Tom Ross the lead Vocalist, what a guy, its rumoured his hard drive is harder than anyone elses, he also once told his processor to speed up bitch, the computer then proceeded to work twice as fast, stuff of legends....

This is all true. Hot sex and rub downs. That's me.

As much as I loved the Dime, you could argue that without a Hetfield, there wouldnt be a dimebag. You could also argue that without an Iommi there wouldn't be a hetfield. Then without a Hendrix etc...

That's a whole different ballpart.

But yeah, there is a chain which started with Chuck and ended up with Yngwie, basically. As far as electric guitarplaying goes i mean.

Getting onto Marillion on the 'What does the Missus do that you dislike' made me realise I could & should have added a few or one of a few Marillion tracks (Steve Rotheray is a VERY under-rated guitarist).

I'll choose 'King' or any one of 3 tracks on Marbles.

Also look at my Avatar-King David Gilmour, he deserved more tracks in hindsight so I'll add;

What Do You Want From Me

Run Like Hell

The intro guitar angelic sound about 4-5 mins into (dah dah dah dah)Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Gilmours best solo has to be Comfortably Numb for the obvious none major Floyd Fan,but fro a full demonstration of his mastery guitar playing is awesome on 'Sheep'.