You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

just finished yes man by danny wallace, very good. A touch of the dice man about it but still had me laughing out loud on the tube.

Just about to get my teeth stuck into Neal Stephensons Quicksilver but might be convinced that life's to short.

Might have a look at that Altered Carbon book

You won't regret it.

• 1 month later...

I was going to pick this thread up again soon anyway, but Jose Jones has prompted me to do so now. Of my holiday reads, I only got through a couple. With having young kids, I just can't devour books like I used to anymore. I read 1974 and also 1977, with 1980 and 1984 still to read. They are definitely dark and both were pretty good. However, the style is so similar to James Ellroy's that word plagiarism could almost be justified. The plot becomes a little oblique in places, but I'll deffo finish the quartet.

Cloud Atlas was very clever and quite enjoyable too. However, the connections between the stories and the overall theme/conceit is a little blurred. Worth reading, though.

The Illuminatus Trilogy is fucking nuts. The style is bizarre with jumps in person, place and time in the middle of sentences, never mind from paragraph to paragraph. The basic idea is entertaining, but, after seven hundred pages, I'm struggling to get it finished. I've just become bored with the plot not really going anywhere and the daft style.

I'll get back to this when I've read the others off my list.

I was going to pick this thread up again soon anyway, but Jose Jones has prompted me to do so now. Of my holiday reads, I only got through a couple. With having young kids, I just can't devour books like I used to anymore. I read 1974 and also 1977, with 1980 and 1984 still to read. They are definitely dark and both were pretty good. However, the style is so similar to James Ellroy's that word plagiarism could almost be justified. The plot becomes a little oblique in places, but I'll deffo finish the quartet.

Cloud Atlas was very clever and quite enjoyable too. However, the connections between the stories and the overall theme/conceit is a little blurred. Worth reading, though.

The Illuminatus Trilogy is fucking nuts. The style is bizarre with jumps in person, place and time in the middle of sentences, never mind from paragraph to paragraph. The basic idea is entertaining, but, after seven hundred pages, I'm struggling to get it finished. I've just become bored with the plot not really going anywhere and the daft style.

I'll get back to this when I've read the others off my list.

I'm halfway through that at the moment and finding it difficult to pick it up again. Black Swan Green was superior in every way, I think.

I've meant to check out that David Peace stuff. He's also written a novel on Brian Clough's 44 days with Leeds, which sounds interesting - Damned United.

Can I just say that I think reading is ace. Had let myself slip over the last year or so and suddenly one evening during the winter, watching some dirge on the telly, decided enough was enough.

Have read at least 2 books a month since. Hardly prolific but I can honestly say that my love of the written word has been well and truly reawakened. Still love my PS2 though.

Just finished Hornby's new novel 'A long way down' and thought it was pretty decent. The characters are really well rounded and the dialogue is sharp and funny. The concept is four people who all go to throw themselves off a building on New Year's Eve and meet each other and the story moves from there. Not that keen on the ending to be honest but overall it was quite a decent read.

• 1 month later...
I like the sound of The Dice Man.

No Logo is ace by the Klein bird.

It is indeed. I read it whilst doing a degree in Marketing (and ruling at it) so I found it interesting to see the stuff on distortion and subverting of advertising.

Some of the stuff she has written on the dark side of globalisation is really enlightening.

I've been reading Stephen Kings IT for what seems the past 6 months. I've been labouring through it and i WILL finish it but it just isnt hooknig me the way other books have :[

I have a few Bernard Cornwell books in my "to read" list but they'll have to wait for now.

Ive just finished 'The Reader' by Bernhard Schlink. Its about a german who gets friendly with an ex-SS female guard, just before she goes to trial for war crimes. Good take on jerry's attitude to the holocaust post 1945.

Just about to finish "Untold Stories" by Alan Bennett - not a bad read. Then moving onto "Berlin: The downfall 1945" by Antony Beevor.