You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just finished reading The Passage today. Can't believe how much I enjoyed and now I have to wait until the Summer for the next book.

Can anyone recommend me something similar to tide me over?

I'm about 150 pages into it and it's been superb so far, really enjoying it.

Just read this.

Why Evolution is True: Amazon.co.uk: Jerry A. Coyne: 9780199230846: Books

It sets out the wealth of evidence for evolution by natural selection in a clear, readable manner (that even a fudgewit like me can follow) without getting bogged down in any tiresome, fish-in-a-barrel Creationist-baiting. Excellent book.

Just read this.

Why Evolution is True: Amazon.co.uk: Jerry A. Coyne: 9780199230846: Books

It sets out the wealth of evidence for evolution by natural selection in a clear, readable manner (that even a fudgewit like me can follow) without getting bogged down in any tiresome, fish-in-a-barrel Creationist-baiting. Excellent book.

Along those lines, A Short History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is a great read.

Been ripping through the Parker novellas by Richard Stark of late. They're superb. For those of you that don't know them, they're about the emotionally cold professional thief featured in the films Point Blank with Lee Marvin and Payback with Mel Gibson.

Also finished the first Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child this morning. It was OK but doesn't live up to the hype for me. Still, I've got the second sitting there waiting so I'll persevere and hope they get better.

Also read the latest of Bernard Cornwell's Alfred novels after Christmas as my dad got it. It was fine.

The last book to mention that I've read recently is The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. I've not read any of his before, but it was pretty good. I might check out a few more.

Continuing the theme of eminent professors cutting the crap about important issues in a supremely readable and incontrovertibly persuasive fashion - 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism

23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism: Amazon.co.uk: Ha-Joon Chang: Books

I've been after a copy of that for a while now, but can't find it in the library.

I think I might just have to bite the bullet and buy it - it's not like it's a lot, and is a book I'd probably read more than once.

Thanks for reminding me :)

The last book to mention that I've read recently is The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. I've not read any of his before, but it was pretty good. I might check out a few more.

He's pretty readable and has written some good books.

Got really into Dan Simmons last year, but I've read all of his now, and can't wait for more from him.

Conn Igguldens Conqueror and Genghis Khan series are brilliant as well.

Been ripping through the Parker novellas by Richard Stark of late. They're superb. For those of you that don't know them, they're about the emotionally cold professional thief featured in the films Point Blank with Lee Marvin and Payback with Mel Gibson.

Also finished the first Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child this morning. It was OK but doesn't live up to the hype for me. Still, I've got the second sitting there waiting so I'll persevere and hope they get better.

Also read the latest of Bernard Cornwell's Alfred novels after Christmas as my dad got it. It was fine.

Yeah, the Parker books are superb. One of my favourites.

I have read every book Michael Connelly has released, and they are all great. The Harry Bosch series is excellent. I suggest you read this book next Paul, you don't need to have read any of the previous Connelly books to read this one, even though the main character does pop up in some of the Bosch books later on in the series.

The Poet: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Connelly: Books

The apparent suicide of his policeman brother sets Denver crime reporter Jack McEvoy on edge. Surprise at the circumstances of his brother's death prompts Jack to look into a whole series of police suicides and puts him on the trail of a cop-killer whose victims are selected all too carefully. Not only that, but they all leave suicide notes drawn from the poems of writer Edgar Allan Poe in their wake. More frightening still the killer appears to know that Jack is getting nearer and nearer. An investigation that looks like being the story of a lifetime, might also be Jack's ticket to a lonely end.

It is as ace as all his other books, but has a real creppy undercurrent to it.

The Lincoln lawyer is the 1st of the Micky haller trilogy and is superb

Yeah, the Parker books are superb. One of my favourites.

I have read every book Michael Connelly has released, and they are all great. The Harry Bosch series is excellent. I suggest you read this book next Paul, you don't need to have read any of the previous Connelly books to read this one, even though the main character does pop up in some of the Bosch books later on in the series.

The Poet: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Connelly: Books

It is as ace as all his other books, but has a real creppy undercurrent to it.

Michael Connelly is one of my favourite authors and I recommend every book he's written.

The Harry Bosch novels are better than the Mickey Haller ones IMO but The Fifth Witness is the best Haller book so far.

I've enjoyed a few George Pelecanos novels as well as Joseph Finder in a similar style.

I tried a couple of Lee Child Reacher books and they were very much the same.

Saw "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" last week, and now reading the book.

A damn good read so far.

Downloaded The Millenium Trilogy onto my Kindle.

Less than a tenner for all three.

Enjoyed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Halfway through The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Even better I.M.O.

Downloaded The Millenium Trilogy onto my Kindle.

Less than a tenner for all three.

Enjoyed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Halfway through The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Even better I.M.O.

What's the kindle like?

I've been thinking about getting one but I'm not sure as I have heard mixed reviews about how easy/hard it is to read the text.

What's the kindle like?

I've been thinking about getting one but I'm not sure as I have heard mixed reviews about how easy/hard it is to read the text.

Superb mate.

My Lad bought me it for xmas.

Pearl ink technology makes it very easy to read.

Loads of free books to download too.

Michael Connelly is one of my favourite authors and I recommend every book he's written.

The Harry Bosch novels are better than the Mickey Haller ones IMO but The Fifth Witness is the best Haller book so far.

I've enjoyed a few George Pelecanos novels as well as Joseph Finder in a similar style.

I tried a couple of Lee Child Reacher books and they were very much the same.

Don't like Lee Child at all, think his books are very boring. I'll copy and paste this response I gave to Paul last year on Dennis Lehane/crime series that I reckon are essential reading, if you are into that kind of thing :

I've seen you mention Dennis Lehane a few times on here Paul, and I agree he is fucking great. I thought his last Kenzie/Gennaro book Moonlight Mile was a little bit dissapointing; not enough Bubba.

If we are talking crime series there are a few which I feel are equal or better to Lehane. I'll include a link to the first book in the series and the Wiki page.

The Charlie Parker books by John Connolly are better in my opinion. Beautifully written.

First book Every Dead Thing: Amazon.co.uk: John Connolly: Books

Wiki John Connolly (author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As mentioned by me and a few others James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels are ace. The standard I compare others to.

First book The Neon Rain: Amazon.co.uk: James Lee Burke: Books

Wiki James Lee Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert B.Parker's Spenser Novels. Must be nearly 40 books spanning from 1973 to this 2011 ( he died last year sadly )

First book The Godwulf Manuscript: Amazon.co.uk: Parker: Books

Wiki Robert B. Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of the above are better than Lehane, I think.

Equal, or nearly as good as him I would say :

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels.

First Book Amazon.co.uk: the black echo: Books

Wiki Michael Connelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar Books.

First Book Deal Breaker: Amazon.co.uk: Harlan Coben: Books

Wiki Harlan Coben - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert Crais Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels ( a personal favourite )

First Book The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole Novels): Amazon.co.uk: Robert Crais: Books

Wiki Robert Crais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lawrence Block, Matthew Scudder novels.

First Book The Sins of the Fathers: Amazon.co.uk: Lawrence Block: Books

Wiki Lawrence Block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Donald Harstad, Carl Houseman books.

First book Eleven Days: Amazon.co.uk: Donald Harstad: Books

Wiki Donald Harstad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I own every one of the books by those authors, took me years to collect them all. They are all well worth collecting.

Has anyone read Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle?

The Mote In Gods Eye, and The Moat Around Murcheson's Eye?

Truly superb.

I do love a bit of Sci Fi.

The 3 Placehold/Whandall Featherstone books were brilliant as well, Starting with The Burning City, and ending with the novella The Magic Goes Away.

Alastair Reynolds is superb as well - his Revelation Space series of books are a complete sci fi joy.

Don't like Lee Child at all, think his books are very boring. I'll copy and paste this response I gave to Paul last year on Dennis Lehane/crime series that I reckon are essential reading, if you are into that kind of thing :

James Lee Burke and Harlan Coben,as you mentioned are top drawer also.

Brilliant characters and superbly written.

Just finished the penultimate Sherlock Holmes book, Valley of Fear. It was excellent, although for the most part not a Sherlock story.

Also got myself up to date with The Walking Dead series this morning. Still a gritty and interesting take on the zombie apocalypse scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished 'The Passage' last night, thought it was fantastic. The best book I've read in a long time, can't wait for 'The Twelve' now. I wonder how many of the main characters will be in that, given what happened in the epilogue and the author's love for killing off his characters?!

I read this thread from start to finish the other night, it's absolutely brilliant. I was looking for some inspiration on what to read once I'd finished 'The Passage' and I picked up a good few ideas of authors that I think I'll like; James Lee Burke, James Ellroy, Don Winslow, George Pelecanos, Joseph Wambaugh, Dennis Lehane and Michael Connelly will all be being sampled in the near future. In fact I've already bought some books by the above; 'A Drink Before the Water' (Lehane), 'The Big Blowdown' (Pelecanos), 'The Black Echo' (Connelly) and 'The Neon Rain' (Burke) all arrived this week. Think I'll start on A 'Drink Before the Water' tonight. Can't wait!

Richard Montanari is a very good crime Author as well, very easy to read books. The Rosary Girls The Rosary Girls: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Montanari: 9780099486886: Books is the place to start.

This is a good supernatural/crime novel as well, worth the £0.01 it costs second hand on Amazon. Tropic of Night: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Gruber: 9780330426848: Books

I'll throw a few more up later when I get a chance.