You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The last book I read was Truth by Peter Temple.

It’s about Stephen Villani, the Head of Homicide of the Victorian State Police investigating the murder of a prostitute at a swanky apartment block and the brutal killings of three gang members. There are bush fires approaching his dad’s farm in the country, he’s fallen out with his wife and is shagging a journalist, one of his teenage daughters is doing drugs and living on the streets. It’s just before a state election and he’s getting played by politicians, his cop bosses and dodgy businessmen.

It’s about corruption, bent cops, family and the bullshit of modern life. A couple of plot points are almost too quickly brushed over, but generally the writing is top notch (almost like an Australian James Ellroy) and it cracks along – I polished it off in two days thanks to a couple of plane trips.

Although very Melbourne-based (i.e. characters and situations easily recognisable with their real life equivalents) I reckon anyone would enjoy it.

I’ve also recently-ish read The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell.

It’s a fictional autobiography of Dr Max Aue an officer of the Sicherheitsdienst, or the SD – the intelligence agency of the SS.

The book follows Max as he participates in many of the major conflicts and atrocities of the Second World War. He is involved in the campaign in the Crimea and the Caucasus, Stalingrad, concentration camps and the fall of Berlin. The descriptions of massacres of Jews and Bolsheviks behind the front lines, the discussion of Nazi politics and struggle between the factions concerned with war production and bureaucrats organizing the implentation of the Final Solution, are all horribly and brilliantly realised.

However the concurrent personal story involving Max’s family, his fondness for bumming, incestuous lust for his twin sister the mystery of his father and what happens to his mother and stepfather lets the book down for me. The literary pretensions undoubtedly intended within these passages – the title the Kindly Ones references the Greek tragedy of Orestes – and the ending of the book as Berlin falls kind of pissed me off.

The sort of thing that Paul would hate immensely!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Always been a reader of more factual books (Biogs / Politics) and graphic novels (Love Dredd and The Walking Dead) but have just rediscovered my love of a good novel. I started off again by reading "A Week in December" by Sebastian Faulks late last year and enjoyed it. Then I got into the Stieg Larsson Millenium Trilogy (The Girl who Books) and basically devoured them in the space of 6 weeks and really loved them. I am looking for something similar (mystery/conspiracy) that I can get my teeth into. A mate recommended James Patterson "Private" but 2 other mates have said his books are dross so I am at a quandry can my fellow forumites help me out ?