You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

After numerous recommendations down the years, I'm finally giving Stephen King's Dark Tower series a go. Early impressions of The Gunslinger are mixed. Just not sure fantasy really clicks for me.

Not the greatest start to a series almost like he decided to create a series of books after he’d finished writing it as to me it doesn’t seem to fit in with rest more like one of his gunslinger short stories. Anyway the next The Drawing of the Three is excellent. A book I’ll read on it’s own.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

After numerous recommendations down the years, I'm finally giving Stephen King's Dark Tower series a go. Early impressions of The Gunslinger are mixed. Just not sure fantasy really clicks for me.

It’s easily the worst of the series. By a mile, actually. 

• Upvote 1

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke (she wrote Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell). It's hard to categorise this: a surreal fantasy detective novel? The more you read, the more intriguing the story becomes and the ultimate reveal is satisfying. I will definitely read this again so recommend it wholeheartedly.

Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells (Murderbot Diaries number 6). I thought there were only 5 books in this series so discovering this was a real pleasure. This returns to novella length and is more of a straightforward whodunnit and howdunnit. If you've enjoyed the previous books then this won't disappoint.

1 hour ago, NoelM said:

I've started The Gunslinger 3 times, Once as a book and twice as an audiobook and I gave up each time - could it be skipped?

I would say yes as it has very little relevance to the series, although I enjoyed it  it’s quite short so easy to get through. Google lobsterite and Roland. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NoelM said:

I've started The Gunslinger 3 times, Once as a book and twice as an audiobook and I gave up each time - could it be skipped?

Actually thinking about it I’m sure there is a brief synopsis of The Gunslinger in the second book The Drawing of the Three which may well save you struggling through it if you are not enjoying it. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This Fragile Earth by Susannah Wise. Late 21st century - all utilities stop working and the AIs that run things become erratic. A mother and young child try to survive. Not great to be honest. All just a bit dull. 

Wherever Seeds May Fall - Peter Cawdron. A first contact story about an alien object heading for earth and how the world prepares. Really good. 

Now on the new Ballard/Bosch novel from

Michael Connelly, The Dark Hours. Set post George Floyd and Covid with Bosch ever older and more peripheral it seems. Can’t be long until he kills him off now. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paul said:

This Fragile Earth by Susannah Wise. Late 21st century - all utilities stop working and the AIs that run things become erratic. A mother and young child try to survive. Not great to be honest. All just a bit dull. 

Wherever Seeds May Fall - Peter Cawdron. A first contact story about an alien object heading for earth and how the world prepares. Really good. 

Now on the new Ballard/Bosch novel from

Michael Connelly, The Dark Hours. Set post George Floyd and Covid with Bosch ever older and more peripheral it seems. Can’t be long until he kills him off now. 

I loved the new Connelly book, Bosch still has teeth in it but it's Ballards show now. I think she's an interesting character and could see her teaming up with Boschs daughter eventually.

On 15/11/2021 at 15:05, NoelM said:

I loved the new Connelly book, Bosch still has teeth in it but it's Ballards show now. I think she's an interesting character and could see her teaming up with Boschs daughter eventually.

Just finished it. Think it’s easily the best Ballard book to date and she’s really coming into her own now. Loved the ending. Tantalising! Like that Bosch still seems relevant too. 

• Upvote 1

Been trying to read Dom Joly’s Hezbollah Hiking Club for the last 6 months and after 33 pages ive had to knock it on the head. I usually like his stuff but this is so boring and I’m falling asleep after 2 pages.

Sick to death of reading about his boring mates and what they’ve had to eat that day. He’s tried to jazz them up by saying one of them’s this crazy fella whose wearing brogues and blazers for a hike across Lebanon but I’m getting the feeling he’s made this up. 

Got David Niven’s The moons a balloon and Elmore Leonard’s Freaky Deaky on standby so hopefully a bit of entertainment awaits. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2021 at 09:46, Rico1304 said:

Wherever Seeds May Fall is good, and in the dedication at the back I found out one of the main characters is based on a scientist I follow on Twitter which was nice. 

Muderbot 6 is good

Just starting Piranesi. 

Gonna start that later.

Only just finished Billy Summers, good but a bit too long for me.

Finished Moths by Jane Hennigan about a future 21st century Britain after a toxin wipes out most men and leaves the ones remaining tightly controlled by the resultant matriarchal society. It’s really good and there’s a sequel in the works. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2021 at 18:39, Paul said:

Just finished it. Think it’s easily the best Ballard book to date and she’s really coming into her own now. Loved the ending. Tantalising! Like that Bosch still seems relevant too. 

The most interesting part was the impact of the George Floyd riots and attitudes on police procedural characters.

Other than that, as always, very well paced and expertly written in all other genre aspects. A touch of Death Wish films.

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

The most interesting part was the impact of the George Floyd riots and attitudes on police procedural characters.

Other than that, as always, very well paced and expertly written in all other genre aspects. A touch of Death Wish films.

Agreed.