You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

@SasaS Why do you have to be such a cock. Why wouldn't a book about Auschwitz be important? 

Why am I a cock? I asked a simple question, why does he thinks this book is so important that we should all read it, to which he gave a bullshit answer, read it and you tell me. There are many books about Auschwitz.

17 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Why am I a cock? I asked a simple question, why does he thinks this book is so important that we should all read it, to which he gave a bullshit answer, read it and you tell me. There are many books about Auschwitz.

No you were just being an arse for no reason. 

Just now, SasaS said:

I was actually being the only one showing any interest in the book and his write up.

He described the book, gave it a 10 out of 10 and you questioned why it's important? The subject should have been enough. Of course it's an important book.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He described the book, gave it a 10 out of 10 and you questioned why it's important? The subject should have been enough. Of course it's an important book.  

Yes I do. I wanted more info. From what I see, it is mainly a book about (non-Communist) Polish resistance in the WWII. He doesn't even say if it is non-fiction, or a fictionalized account, or a novel based on real life events. So i wanted to know more, why he thinks we should all read it and then tell everybody else to read it, because it is a quite unusual recommendation. I was, admittedly, momentarily annoyed with the answer, why don't you read it yourself.   

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Yes I do. I wanted more info. From what I see, it is mainly a book about (non-Communist) Polish resistance in the WWII. He doesn't even say if it is non-fiction, or a fictionalized account, or a novel based on real life events. So i wanted to know more, why he thinks we should all read it and then tell everybody else to read it, because it is a quite unusual recommendation. I was, admittedly, momentarily annoyed with the answer, why don't you read it yourself.   

He said it's a true story. 

I don’t believe I really should have to justify why I think a book on this subject matter is important. However many books there are on Auschwitz, any that describe what went on there and tell the stories of those who endured it are important and, yes, I think all should read it.

In the interests of GF harmony I will provide some additional opinion. Hopefully this doesn’t then lead to a view that you, or anyone, doesn’t now need to read it.

It is a true story, every individual mentioned in the book existed and, where not mentioned in the main text, we find out what became of them at the end. Although often written in story form, the majority of incidents are evidenced and indexed. Where gaps exist, the author says so using phrases like; ‘he would likely have’.

There’s perhaps a slightly different lense into the horrors of Auschwitz in this book than the majority of others as well. Witold, the resistance hero featured in the book, arrived at the main camp in the early stages of the war. Birkenau wasn’t yet built and although, of course, the Holocaust is part of the story, the focus is on Polish nationals and the underground movement established there. The author acknowledges this several times.

Trying not to provide spoilers, the book goes beyond Auschwitz though. It details the extraordinary bravery of the people of Warsaw during the uprising (yes, covered many times before but no less important here) and how their stories were hidden for years following the Soviet invasion. 

I don’t claim it’s more, or less, important than other books on the subject. I’ve read several myself and have been privileged enough to visit Auschwitz and work many times in Warsaw so my opinion that it’s an incredible book hasn’t just been plucked out of the air.  

Read it. If you have a different opinion once you have I’d be interested to hear it. 

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I don’t believe I really should have to justify why I think a book on this subject matter is important. However many books there are on Auschwitz, any that describe what went on there and tell the stories of those who endured it are important and, yes, I think all should read it.

In the interests of GF harmony I will provide some additional opinion. Hopefully this doesn’t then lead to a view that you, or anyone, doesn’t now need to read it.

It is a true story, every individual mentioned in the book existed and, where not mentioned in the main text, we find out what became of them at the end. Although often written in story form, the majority of incidents are evidenced and indexed. Where gaps exist, the author says so using phrases like; ‘he would likely have’.

There’s perhaps a slightly different lense into the horrors of Auschwitz in this book than the majority of others as well. Witold, the resistance hero featured in the book, arrived at the main camp in the early stages of the war. Birkenau wasn’t yet built and although, of course, the Holocaust is part of the story, the focus is on Polish nationals and the underground movement established there. The author acknowledges this several times.

Trying not to provide spoilers, the book goes beyond Auschwitz though. It details the extraordinary bravery of the people of Warsaw during the uprising (yes, covered many times before but no less important here) and how their stories were hidden for years following the Soviet invasion. 

I don’t claim it’s more, or less, important than other books on the subject. I’ve read several myself and have been privileged enough to visit Auschwitz and work many times in Warsaw so my opinion that it’s an incredible book hasn’t just been plucked out of the air.  

Read it. If you have a different opinion once you have I’d be interested to hear it. 

Thanks.

After some brief research, it's last year's biography of Polish AK resistance figure and intelligence officer for the exiled government Witold Pilecki, (written by former Daily Telegraph and Washington Post Iraq and Afghanistan war correspondent Jack Fairweather), which got very good reviews and you obviously liked very much. Sounds interesting, does it touch on controversies within the Polish resistance and the Soviet role in the whole story, or is it mainly focused on Pilecki's Auschwitz operation?  

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Thanks.

After some brief research, it's last year's biography of Polish AK resistance figure and intelligence officer for the exiled government Witold Pilecki, (written by former Daily Telegraph and Washington Post Iraq and Afghanistan war correspondent Jack Fairweather), which got very good reviews and you obviously liked very much. Sounds interesting, does it touch on controversies within the Polish resistance and the Soviet role in the whole story, or is it mainly focused on Pilecki's Auschwitz operation?  

Although the main focus of the book is on Pilecki’s time in Auschwitz, the author references leadership and policy differences within the resistance reasonably regularly throughout. I think part of the strength of the book is that it’s not afraid to be a bit more than a simple story of good versus evil. Witold himself wasn’t without flaws. Undoubtedly a hero, but not perfect and perhaps a man of his time. 

The Soviet role in the story is a pivotal one but I don’t want to write much more than that as I’d be dipping right into spoiler territory. Maybe not for you, if you’ve already researched against Pilecki’s name, but for others who might feel like giving the book a go. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the final book of the Salvation trilogy by Peter F Hamilton, The Saints of Salvation. It was great; I loved all three books. He’s also left the door ajar for more stories in the world he created here.  

I’m on Carra’s new book now and after that I’ve got the latest Bosch.

• Upvote 1

The Bullet and the Ballot Box: The Story of Nepal's Maoist Revolution

Aditya Adhikari

History of the transition in Nepal from Kingdom to Republic, a process driven by a violent Maoist insurrection which was ultimately subsumed into that republic as part of the new non-violent democratic system.

Fascinating story, particularly after having read a few books about the civil war in Sri Lanka, which was similar in many ways, but had a much more destructive and scarring outcome.

If someone had the languages and a decade to waste writing a book comparing and contrasting the two conflicts that only a few thousand people would read, I'd be one of them.

Picked up a couple of recommendations from the last of the series of Between The Covers on BBC2: an SF thing called The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu about an alien race manipulating the earth from afar via a computer game and The Devil And The Dark Water by Stuart Turton which is an historical murder mystery set on a ship. Got a good list of stuff lined up now after that barren spell that always happens after the summer until the publishers release their stuff for the Christmas market. 

On 14/10/2020 at 11:21, Numero said:

Finished all three books in the Starlight Archive and I'm waiting for the fourth one to come out next month. Incredible series so far. You could argue that it's needlessly long in places, but considering they total around 1.2m words (for reference: Lord of the Rings trilogy is around 520k, as is War and Peace) I was expecting some waffle. Fortunately that waffle actually counts for something in character building and the feeling you get when reading what the characters are going through. All in all, a fucking good set of books. Another nearly half-million words in the next book too. There's going to be 10 books apparently. Fucking mental. I'd say there are parts in the books that reach 10/10 level. Overall I'll go with 9/10. Very good.

Moved on to the fourth book in the Bobiverse. Really decent, but it's an adjustment going back to science fiction from epic fantasy. I've almost finished it, and would give it an 8/10. I really like this series. A few lads of here read it and liked it. I wonder if @Paul will pick up the fourth one? 

Next up to bridge the gap between the end of book three of Starlight and the release of book four is going to be The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. Not sure I'm going to like it but somebody recommended it and the synopsis looked pretty interesting. 

Only just seen this, sorry. I’ve read all of the Bobiverse books, I think. Despite the lack of real peril and the fact that every single problem just gets solved, I really liked them. Not sure they bear repeat reading, but certainly entertaining first time round. 

On 23/10/2020 at 18:05, Paul said:

I’ve just finished a book called The Midnight Library off the back of that new book show with Sarah Cox. It was basically a woman’s book (life, love, all that shit), but I quite enjoyed it. 

Read another off there too which I forgot to mention: Fifty Fifty by Steve Cavanagh. It’s a court room mystery thing with an implausible premise and formulaic style. It was alright, but I wouldn’t urge people to pick it up. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've read the 3 body problem it started to feel like a self help book I cant even remember much about it, I downloaded the second one read about a chapter and thought fuck it I can't be arsed.

Right. I’ve only got a sample of it so I’ll see how that goes before committing to a purchase. 

Actually, scratch that: it was free with Prime. Either way, no money has changed hands!

I thought I’d try something that falls into the ‘easy read’ category and this hits the spot nicely. Probably a decent holiday book if we ever get to enjoy such things again. 

Written by Richard Osman it’s about a group of old folks who live in a retirement village and are part of a club who meet on a Thursday and attempt to solve old crimes. Usually these are just paper based discussions until a murderer strikes within their community. 

I like Richard Osman and this is a nice effort at a first novel. Not amazing but enjoyable all the same.

7.5/10

2B5258E7-B474-4E4F-9170-B0CDA50F4605.jpeg