You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Into the Hands of the Soldiers"

David D. Kirkpatrick

A personalized account of the Arab Spring in Cairo by a reporter who was there.

Could have been longer, more detailed, but enjoyable none-the-less.

"Norse Mythology"

Neil Gaiman

Audiobook read by the author. One of the best I've listened to, as he does a great job with the stories.

Good for all ages.

Just finished The Secret Commonwealth which is the second book in Philip Pullman’s The Book of Dust trilogy; itself a continuation of the story of Lyra from His Dark Materials.

In this, Lyra is an adult and, as such, the book deals with some pretty adult themes. It also feels very resonant with many of the issues in the world today whilst remaining completely faithful to the world he’s created in his books. 

In short, I loved it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Read the latest Uhtred book by Bernard Cornwell (no idea what it’s called, sorry) and really enjoyed it, as I have all the others. The character is still developing even as he hits (relative) old age, which I like. Looks like Cornwell is going to keep the series going until “Englaland” is fully formed and that’s sound by me. 

Also read Andrew Ridgeley’s Wham! biography as I really like George Michael. He was a fascinating character both musically and personally but this doesn’t really reveal much about either other than to say, “Yes he was a great singer/songwriter and yes he was gay”. I wanted to gain a much deeper understanding of him, but this was all just surface stuff: very loyal and loving of George, but also fucking dull. A missed opportunity. 

Currently on the new Bosch and Ballard book, which is typically good and also, as with Uhtred, continues to deal brilliantly with an ageing main character. 

Got the next Salvation book by Peter Hamilton (big SF stuff) waiting, as well as the well-reviewed Elton autobiography. I’m not a massive Elton fan or a massive non-fiction/biography fan. However, it’s supposed to be fucking hilarious so I bought it on those grounds. 

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Read the latest Uhtred book by Bernard Cornwell (no idea what it’s called, sorry) and really enjoyed it, as I have all the others. The character is still developing even as he hits (relative) old age, which I like. Looks like Cornwell is going to keep the series going until “Englaland” is fully formed and that’s sound by me. 

Also read Andrew Ridgeley’s Wham! biography as I really like George Michael. He was a fascinating character both musically and personally but this doesn’t really reveal much about either other than to say, “Yes he was a great singer/songwriter and yes he was gay”. I wanted to gain a much deeper understanding of him, but this was all just surface stuff: very loyal and loving of George, but also fucking dull. A missed opportunity. 

Currently on the new Bosch and Ballard book, which is typically good and also, as with Uhtred, continues to deal brilliantly with an ageing main character. 

Got the next Salvation book by Peter Hamilton (big SF stuff) waiting, as well as the well-reviewed Elton autobiography. I’m not a massive Elton fan or a massive non-fiction/biography fan. However, it’s supposed to be fucking hilarious so I bought it on those grounds. 

Was the first Salvation book any good? I loved his Mandel novels and the Night's Dawn trilogy was great, but I found the Void and Commonwealth stuff really disappointing.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Was the first Salvation book any good? I loved his Mandel novels and the Night's Dawn trilogy was great, but I found the Void and Commonwealth stuff really disappointing.

I really liked Salvation. It was the first of his I’d read. I then tried Commonwealth while awaiting the second book but was bored shitless by it and fucked it off about thirty pages in. 

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

I really liked Salvation. It was the first of his I’d read. I then tried Commonwealth while awaiting the second book but was bored shitless by it and fucked it off about thirty pages in. 

Might give that a try then, cheers. If you haven't read the Night's Dawn trilogy, give that a whirl. It's absolutely top notch space opera, almost up there with Banks. The Mandel detective books are really good too, plus they're not bogged down by massive world building epic shite.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2019 at 09:15, Paul said:

Just finished The Secret Commonwealth which is the second book in Philip Pullman’s The Book of Dust trilogy; itself a continuation of the story of Lyra from His Dark Materials.

In this, Lyra is an adult and, as such, the book deals with some pretty adult themes. It also feels very resonant with many of the issues in the world today whilst remaining completely faithful to the world he’s created in his books. 

In short, I loved it. 

Just started this, having finished the first in the new series in 2 days. Really enjoyed the first one and am intrigued to see how the story develops given the time lapses between the 2. 

Just finished Elton John’s autobiography and it was brilliant. I’ve never been a huge fan of his music but this is hilarious. He is totally self-aware and self-deprecating, as well as brutally honest. Plus he’s a massive music (and football) nerd, do there’s loads to enjoy. In short a great read and thoroughly recommended. 

On 19/11/2019 at 15:01, Rico1304 said:

The Jackson Lamb books are being serialised with Gary Oldman in the lead role.  Should be ace.  

Think this might well turn out to be one of those rare occasions where I will enjoy the adaptation more than the book. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Banco. The follow up to Papillon. Puts his life together after his final escape. Really good read if you like the first one. The final few pages where he goes into his trial is superb. He has always hinted his innocence throughout Papillon and this but at the end he manages to get back to paris then tells the story of his trial from a bench near where his supposed crime happened. 8/10. Papillon is a 12/10. 

I started The Tattooist of Auschwitz last night. Started it about 11 when I got in bed, 166 pages later and its half 1. I didn't want to put it down. Superb so far. 

• Upvote 1

Finished Salvation Lost by Peter F. Hamilton this morning. It continues the story of how humanity tries to evade a super race of religious nutter aliens over the millennia and across the galaxy. It was boss. Can’t wait for the final book in the trilogy. 

• 3 weeks later...