Quantcast
The GF book thread - Page 115 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Just noticed the next Parker novel ‘The Dirty South’ is a prequel to his first book ‘Every dead thing’ and won’t have any supernatural elements apparently. Out next April. Synopsis below:

It is 1999, and someone is slaughtering young black women in Burdon County, Arkansas.

But no one wants to admit it, not in the Dirty South.

In an Arkansas jail cell sits a former NYPD detective, stricken by grief.

He is mourning the death of his wife and child, and searching in vain for their killer. He cares only for his own lost family.

But that is about to change . . .

Witness the becoming of Charlie Parker.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Just noticed the next Parker novel ‘The Dirty South’ is a prequel to his first book ‘Every dead thing’ and won’t have any supernatural elements apparently. Out next April. Synopsis below:

It is 1999, and someone is slaughtering young black women in Burdon County, Arkansas.

But no one wants to admit it, not in the Dirty South.

In an Arkansas jail cell sits a former NYPD detective, stricken by grief.

He is mourning the death of his wife and child, and searching in vain for their killer. He cares only for his own lost family.

But that is about to change . . .

Witness the becoming of Charlie Parker.

Interesting route to go down from Connolly. I wasn't overly keen on on the last book to be honest, just didn't hook me like the others.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Interesting route to go down from Connolly. I wasn't overly keen on on the last book to be honest, just didn't hook me like the others.

By far the worst Parker novel for me. Really struggled with a lot of it which I put down to it being set in England which just bored me. It had way too much focus on the British police investigators.

I read an interview where he said the last book closed off a sequence of six novels and he needed some space to decide what to do with the series so the next book is a placeholder to give him some time. 

The interview also mentioned that someone has the option on making a Parker TV series which could go to pilot. It’s here if you want to read it:

https://city-press.news24.com/Trending/Books/john-connollys-angel-of-retribution-charlie-parker-returns-20190624

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

By far the worst Parker novel for me. Really struggled with a lot of it which I put down to it being set in England which just bored me. It had way too much focus on the British police investigators.

I read an interview where he said the last book closed off a sequence of six novels and he needed some space to decide what to do with the series so the next book is a placeholder to give him some time. 

The interview also mentioned that someone has the option on making a Parker TV series which could go to pilot. It’s here if you want to read it:

https://city-press.news24.com/Trending/Books/john-connollys-angel-of-retribution-charlie-parker-returns-20190624

The chapters describing cathedrals, etc bored me to tears.

I thought he was against selling the rights to TV? Money talks, not that mind as it could be a great show if done well 

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

I thought he was against selling the rights to TV? Money talks, not that mind as it could be a great show if done well 

It’s definitely being looked at for TV, he said himself on Twitter it’s been optioned but that was almost a year ago. I can’t find any info on who has the option though, someone like HBO or Amazon and I’d have high expectations for it, a network channel like Fox or NBC and I wouldn’t be expecting much. 

68843B79-36B5-4428-8FA4-EF661D28490B.png

Be very interested to see who they cast for the various roles.

Walton Goggins would be great for one of the various 'strange' villains but maybe I'm just being biased as I think he's great or even Angel!

3 hours ago, Elite said:

It was definitely filler.  Pretty poor but ended some great charm.  

Not sure who I’d like to see as Parker. In my mind, he’s not a grock or super handsome. He’s an ordinary bloke, with a quick wit and a fearless/relentless streak. Who fits that bill?

Louis is slightly easier: very black, very hard, very stoic and very straight appearing. Mahershala Ali would be good. 

Angel would be someone like Michael Peña. 

8 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Always pictured Terry Crews as Louis.

I think he's too big, I get the impression Louis is tall and athletic not a complete tank.

• Upvote 1

Yeah Terry Crews is too big. The best Louis would have been Lance Reddick. Absolutely perfect except he’s 20 years too old. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

As soon as I saw the actor Robert Sheehan I thought of the character angel.  Djimon hounsou as Louis. Id of picked karl urban as Charlie Parker before id seen the boys.

I was thinking Karl Urban too, I think he'd be good.

Need someone younger than Karl Urban I reckon. And Djimon Hounsou is definitely too old. 

Parker is early-mid 30s when the books start so the actor would need to be around that age.

I'm sure they'll find the right guy. I wasn't sure about Titus Welliver as Bosch when I saw him announced but he's a brilliant choice.

9 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm sure they'll find the right guy. I wasn't sure about Titus Welliver as Bosch when I saw him announced but he's a brilliant choice.

My only problem with Titus Welliver is that he walks like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit. Very good apart from that though. 

• Upvote 1

Just finished The Outsider by Stephen King. It was great and he also managed a decent ending for once. 

Now to The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman, the second volume of The Book of Dust. I love these books so much, I've bought it in hardback like all the others. No kindle here; these books are all-time greats and I want them on my shelf. 

• Upvote 2

Not sure if it will interest anyone but

Janis Joplin biography out next week

Elton John's autobiography out next week 

Booker T Jones autobiography out next month

On 28/09/2019 at 11:21, Paul said:

Not sure who I’d like to see as Parker. In my mind, he’s not a grock or super handsome. He’s an ordinary bloke, with a quick wit and a fearless/relentless streak. Who fits that bill?

Louis is slightly easier: very black, very hard, very stoic and very straight appearing. Mahershala Ali would be good. 

Angel would be someone like Michael Peña. 

Mmm, very hard. 

I lost my kindle last week. Fucking devastated.