You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Peel - Margrave of the marshes. Feckin' excellent. What a dude.

Stephen King - Cell. Not bad, but the poor bloke is losing it.

Bill Bryson - A short history of nearly everything. Excellent, such an easy author to read, amusing, insightful and with a knack of making everything interesting and easy to remember.

Stephen King - Cell. Not bad, but the poor bloke is losing it.

Bill Bryson - A short history of nearly everything. Excellent, such an easy author to read, amusing, insightful and with a knack of making everything interesting and easy to remember.

I have recently read those two. John Peel was my hero when I was growing up. Bill Bryson is an excellent author who makes me laugh out loud. That book is fascinating too.

Any of the Bernard Cornwell books are a must read- he's an outstanding writer. I love the Sharpe series, especially Sharpe's Eagle.

His Arthur trilogy is also ace.

Am also re-reading The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett- another quality writer, the DiscWorld series is hilarious.

Recommended.

Am also re-reading The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett- another quality writer, the DiscWorld series is hilarious.

Have you found him to be a bit stale in recent novels (Since Jingo/The Last Continent)? I have found Robert Rankin to be far more consistent of late, with the likes of "Knees Up Mother Earth" and "The Brightonomicon" being particular oeuvres.

Guest PaddyBerger15
The Fifth Mountain Paulo Coelho

Confessions of a Pilgrim Paulo Coelho

The Progressive Patriot Billy Bragg

Piss off, youve never read a book where the main character wasnt a lovely big dog called Ben.

Guest PaddyBerger15

Is a great choice.:thumbup:

A cracking book about a cracking fella.

Im on Solipsist by Henry Rollins....ok so far.

You're in for a treat - it's fucking ace. The first 100 or so pages are a struggle as he doesn't explain any of the terminology he's using, but after that it goes boom. The entire trilogy is amazing and I want an alethiometer.

I'm going to start re-reading them tonight, you've just reminded me how ace they are. When's the film out?

Madstock- yeah I wasn't that happy with The Last Continent; a good read but not in the same class as the previous Discworld books.

Having said that Pratchett still achieves levels that other authors can't even in his 'weaker' books. I love the way there are 'mini-series' within the world. The Rincewind episodes are probably the best, although the City Watch Trilogy come very close.

Outside of Discworld, Only You Can Save Mankind and Johnny and the Dead are good reads

The City Watch Trilogy come close

Indeedy, Vimes, Carrot, Nobby et al are inspired characters, and I think that "Men At Arms" is probably my favourite of all - it just seems to me that he rather churns out novels nowadays without the "wow factor" of the likes of "Soul Music", "Reaper Man", etc.

I do agree that most of his pulp is still very readable pulp though.

Just finished reading a book called Mr Candid which I would recommend to anyone and I have now started the Red Dwarf Books, had it on my shelf for years and and only now getting round to reading it.
The Red Dwarf books are fucking quality, makes the TV show seem shit in comparison

Guest PaddyBerger15
The Red Dwarf books are fucking quality, makes the TV show seem shit in comparison

:yes:

They are indeed a good read. They are ideal holiday books, lying on a sunbed with a beer, they entertain you and flow over you without having to do too much analysis or concentrating.