You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The new Don Winslow book 'City on Fire' is excellent, the first part of a trilogy set in Providence in the 1980s focusing on the Irish and Italian mobs. Loads of little nods to the Illiad, Achilles, Helen of Troy etc. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NoelM said:

The new Don Winslow book 'City on Fire' is excellent, the first part of a trilogy set in Providence in the 1980s focusing on the Irish and Italian mobs. Loads of little nods to the Illiad, Achilles, Helen of Troy etc. 

I read The Force a couple of years ago, which was phenomenal. Will definitely give this a go at some point. 

• Upvote 1

On 01/05/2022 at 15:47, Paul said:

Read Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. It’s a slow burner but decent. A more literary take on post-apocalyptic fiction like The Road by Cormac McCarthy, although a very different book. 

Now on the final volume of The Book of the Ancestor trilogy by Mark Lawrence, The Girl and the Moon. Also bought two books in actual book form to follow this: the new Phillip Pullman book, The Imagination Chamber, set in the world of His Dark Materials & The Book of Dust; and also Dilla Time by Dan Charnas about the life, work and influence of J Dilla. 

I love this time of year when the publishers start to release new books for the summer. 

The Girl & The Moon was brilliant. Great end to the trilogy. Starting the Pullman next. 

"Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent"

Eduardo Galeano

Written in the '70s, by a poet, and though he may take some liberties with the facts, it's still an enlightening look at the history of Latin America under European and American political/economic hegemony.

On 14/05/2022 at 12:25, Paul said:

The Girl & The Moon was brilliant. Great end to the trilogy. Starting the Pullman next. 

Well the Pullman took literally 20 minutes to read and, if it were by anyone else I’d say it was a rip off. However, it’s collectible and beautifully written and so I’m sound with it. Many might not be. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 24/05/2022 at 16:00, Captain Willard said:

Finally got round to reading this, the same author as the Wire. Got a 2 hour Eurostar journey in front of me so I’m going to eat this lemon tart then buy a decent red wine and settle down on the train. 

EC0E8864-C102-4ED4-880A-3AC12C000E12.jpeg

I want to take the piss and call you a middle class test or something, but that just looks great. 

Rattling through the Mitch Rapp books by Vince Ryan currently. It’s the character in the film American Assassin. They’re decent thrillers. Think I’m on the fourth one since I last updated where I’m up to with my reading. 

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of the Republic

Candice Millard

An account of the assassination of US President James Garfield.

I don't know why I listened to it, as it's a very narrow subject, and Garfield was killed before he could achieve much, so historically it's sort of a dead end.

But I enjoyed it none-the-less.

Maybe I'm subconsciously getting ready for Trump's re-election.

They had the author of this Jonathan Freedland on Radio 2 last week talking about this book. I'm looking forward to it. If it's anywhere near as good as The Tattooist of Auschwitz then it will be great. It's about Rudolf Vrba and Fred Wetzler who became the first Jews ever to break out of Auschwitz and tell the world what was happening.

51qaLFZvy4L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 19/06/2022 at 18:05, Paul said:

Rattling through the Mitch Rapp books by Vince Ryan currently. It’s the character in the film American Assassin. They’re decent thrillers. Think I’m on the fourth one since I last updated where I’m up to with my reading. 

Not bad reads them. Light on detail but decent nonetheless.

20 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

They had the author of this Jonathan Freedland on Radio 2 last week talking about this book. I'm looking forward to it. If it's anywhere near as good as The Tattooist of Auschwitz then it will be great. It's about Rudolf Vrba and Fred Wetzler who became the first Jews ever to break out of Auschwitz and tell the world what was happening.

51qaLFZvy4L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In a similar vein The Volunteer tells the story of a Polish soldier and Polish Underground leader who broke in to Auschwitz to gather intel and try to organise resistance. 

C713CD69-4628-4CBC-A67D-6C0EDC9CD520.jpeg

20 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Have you read the other two books in her trilogy of sorts?

Cilka’s Journey & Three Sisters.

Both good, might just be a personal thing but I had Cilka’s Journey down as the best of the three. Not much in it between that and The Tattooist of Auschwitz though. 

I’m sure Rudolf and Fred get a mention in one of them, but I’ve read a lot of books about Auschwitz so might be wrong about that.