You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 28/07/2021 at 22:36, Edward. said:

Yes I didn’t think he was in it that much either.

I really enjoyed the Dirty South, I was a bit worried the series might start to dip after the very disappointing A Book Of Bones. 

5 minutes ago, Edward. said:

I really enjoyed Book of Bones. I live in the area in Northumberland it was based so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it and my daughter and I met the author in Corbridge.

I think that contributed massively to your experience as you can relate to it a lot more, I found all the descriptions of cathedrals, etc to be incredibly boring.

What was John Connolly like in person? He's one hell of an author that's for sure.

He was great, very friendly. I went to a book signing he was at, he basically talked about every book in the series and where he gets his inspiration for them. Someone asked why he had killed the Collector off to muted gasps he responded by saying “Well that’s half the room not buying anymore books”

• Upvote 1

A couple of quick reviews.

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell. An enormously popular book about a house and the dark secrets it holds.

All I can say is that I read it to the end.

5/10

Defending The Honour Of Kiev (Dynamo) by Andy Dougan.

A fascinating and impactful true story of how a number of footballers, many from Dynamo Kiev, fought the Nazis on the battlefield and football field.

(Apologies for mentioning the unmentionable)

7.5/10

2 hours ago, Edward. said:

I really enjoyed Book of Bones. I live in the area in Northumberland it was based so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it and my daughter and I met the author in Corbridge.

Is it accurate about the area? 

I think it's best that no one discovers the place. No good people finding out it's actually really nice up here or people will start turning up and ruining it!

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

A couple of quick reviews.

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell. An enormously popular book about a house and the dark secrets it holds.

All I can say is that I read it to the end.

5/10

Defending The Honour Of Kiev (Dynamo) by Andy Dougan.

A fascinating and impactful true story of how a number of footballers, many from Dynamo Kiev, fought the Nazis on the battlefield and football field.

(Apologies for mentioning the unmentionable)

7.5/10

Have you read Papillon? Review that 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Have you read Papillon? Review that 

I read it years ago. It’s fucking brilliant. Better even than the extraordinary film they made based on the book. 

The teenage me would have given it a 9/10. I wouldn’t want to read it now in case it’s not as good as I remembered. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I read it years ago. It’s fucking brilliant. Better even than the extraordinary film they made based on the book. 

The teenage me would have given it a 9/10. I wouldn’t want to read it now in case it’s not as good as I remembered. 

Great book have you read Banco?

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

No, I haven’t. I just never got to it. How does it compare with Papillon?

It wasn’t anywhere near as good but interesting all the same. Been awhile since I’ve read it. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. The film Master and Commander was based on the first published book in this series. One of the best series I have read (read in chronological order). The quality does drop off at around book 18 but I'd still recommend these to anyone who enjoys historical/naval fiction.

The Girl and the Stars by Mark Lawrence. I really enjoyed the Grey Sister series so this was a big disappointment. First third is excellent but then it turns into more of a Young Adult novel and the "she was exhausted but then managed to perform yet another miraculous feat" plot device becomes boring very quickly.

To be Taught if Fortunate - Becky Chambers. This is a sci-fi novella so is probably a good introduction to Chambers' gentle style. The focus on the social interaction of a spaceship crew makes for a refreshing change; the science, both real and fictional, is exceptionally well done. Not one for those who prefer action orientated, shot em up sci-fi.

The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Almost as good as the Aubrey-Maturin books. I stopped at book 15 as some of the descriptions of The Peninsular War battles were becoming repetitive. That said, they are so well written and I intend to read more at some point.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells. This is the first of the Murderbot diaries (I've now read 3 of them). Brilliant sci-fi that I cannot recommend enough. The novels are short so I have just devoured them - started the first one yesterday at 9 pm. The protagonist is a terminator-like security bot that struggles with human interaction and has committed many murders. This is definitely a series for sci-fi fans who enjoy action orientated, shot em ups.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mars said:

The Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. The film Master and Commander was based on the first published book in this series. One of the best series I have read (read in chronological order). The quality does drop off at around book 18 but I'd still recommend these to anyone who enjoys historical/naval fiction.

The Girl and the Stars by Mark Lawrence. I really enjoyed the Grey Sister series so this was a big disappointment. First third is excellent but then it turns into more of a Young Adult novel and the "she was exhausted but then managed to perform yet another miraculous feat" plot device becomes boring very quickly.

To be Taught if Fortunate - Becky Chambers. This is a sci-fi novella so is probably a good introduction to Chambers' gentle style. The focus on the social interaction of a spaceship crew makes for a refreshing change; the science, both real and fictional, is exceptionally well done. Not one for those who prefer action orientated, shot em up sci-fi.

The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Almost as good as the Aubrey-Maturin books. I stopped at book 15 as some of the descriptions of The Peninsular War battles were becoming repetitive. That said, they are so well written and I intend to read more at some point.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells. This is the first of the Murderbot diaries (I've now read 3 of them). Brilliant sci-fi that I cannot recommend enough. The novels are short so I have just devoured them - started the first one yesterday at 9 pm. The protagonist is a terminator-like security bot that struggles with human interaction and has committed many murders. This is definitely a series for sci-fi fans who enjoy action orientated, shot em ups.

The second book in the series, Post Captain is my favourite book; it's perfect and the whole series is a work of genius, in my opinion

2 minutes ago, mattyq said:

The second book in the series, Post Captain is my favourite book; it's perfect and the whole series is a work of genius, in my opinion

Agreed. I think Clarissa Oakes was my favourite book just because Oakes is such a brilliant character - I can't say more without giving spoilers.

I’ve seen the series mentioned a few times on here so I’m giving ‘Every Dead Thing’ by John Connolly a go.

I’m just over half way through and although it’s had some good moments, I’m struggling with it a bit.

More than reasonable enough for me to get to the end but not sure I’ll read book two in the series.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve seen the series mentioned a few times on here so I’m giving ‘Every Dead Thing’ by John Connolly a go.

I’m just over half way through and although it’s had some good moments, I’m struggling with it a bit.

More than reasonable enough for me to get to the end but not sure I’ll read book two in the series.

The series is my all time favourite. I urge you to continue as it gets far better, trust me you won't be disappointed.

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

Ok - I trust your judgement. It won’t be my next book, but I’ll definitely read the second one and see how it goes. 

Pretty much everyone who posts on this thread loves them. You'll shall be converted to the church of Charlie Parker.

27 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

23 minutes ago, Elite said:

The series is my all time favourite. I urge you to continue as it gets far better, trust me you won't be disappointed.

I totally agree with Elite, the later books are a quantum leap in quality over the first one. It's still a good book, but it throws everything at you at once and there are too many strands going on. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mudface said:

It's still a good book, but it throws everything at you at once and there are too many strands going on. 

I think this has been part of my issue. Perhaps it’s my age, or the cognitive damage I’ve inflicted on myself over the years, but I’ve had to focus hard to keep abreast of all that’s going on.

I’ll report back after the second book. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...