You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 13/12/2020 at 12:25, Soft Joe said:

Reading The Power of The Dog at the mo.

About Mexican drug cartels. It’s also touching on the CIA involvement in smuggling cocaine to fund Nicaraguan contras in fighting commmunism in the 80s. So revisiting themes from the tv series Snowfall which I know loads on here love (including me). Really enjoying it.

This is a tremendous book. I keep buying copies to give to people. I'm just reading The Winter of Frankie Machine now - another amazing Winslow book.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Paul said:

Cannot get into those Slough House books. I’ll give the telly version a go though. 

Really? I thought they’d be right up your street. I think I’ve liked about 90% of the recommendations you’ve made. Cost me a fortune as I read quickly and tend to read everything an author has done.  

• Upvote 1

On 01/02/2021 at 16:28, Sut said:

This is a tremendous book. I keep buying copies to give to people. I'm just reading The Winter of Frankie Machine now - another amazing Winslow book.

I'm reading The Force by Don Winslow, very enjoyable too.

• Upvote 1

Finished Oliver Stone’s autobiography Chasing The Light which goes up to the release of Platoon. I got onto it after listening to him on Louis Theroux’s Grounded podcast and it doesn’t disappoint. 

I’m now on Theroux’s autobiography Gotta Get Theroux This. Entertaining and funny. 

After that I’ve got a few samples lined up from various reviews I’ve read recently of new books. Mostly all genre fiction stuff. 

Just finished ‘The Power of the Dog’ as recommended on here. A right stonking good read. Not a literary masterpiece but who cares.

8/10.

Started another GF Book Thread suggestion last night. Slow Horses by Mick Herron. Early days but it has potential. 

Other than those with photos of fit women, this is my favourite thread on the GF. I’ve been introduced to some really good books on here. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

Just finished ‘The Power of the Dog’ as recommended on here. A right stonking good read. Not a literary masterpiece but who cares.

8/10.

Started another GF Book Thread suggestion last night. Slow Horses by Mick Herron. Early days but it has potential. 

Other than those with photos of fit women, this is my favourite thread on the GF. I’ve been introduced to some really good books on here. 

The series is great. Halfway through the latest one and it’s shaping up nicely.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

The series is great. Halfway through the latest one and it’s shaping up nicely.  

Yes, it was your recommendation this one. I’ve only read a chapter and a half but I already know it’s going to be enjoyable. Great that there’s a series, it’ll keep me going for a while. I like to have a few books lined up. Because I’m weird, I find myself getting anxious if I’m nearing the end of a good book and I’ve nothing in the queue.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Yes, it was your recommendation this one. I’ve only read a chapter and a half but I already know it’s going to be enjoyable. Great that there’s a series, it’ll keep me going for a while. I like to have a few books lined up. Because I’m weird, I find myself getting anxious if I’m nearing the end of a good book and I’ve nothing in the queue.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I thought it was Paul with the original recommendation but it must have been someone else. I’ll take the reflected glory. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I thought it was Paul with the original recommendation but it must have been someone else. I’ll take the reflected glory. 

Was it Sugar Ape? He’s usually full of reliable recommendations (my own take on this series notwithstanding). 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

He has another one "Twas the night before Christmas". Fuck being a doctor.

I'm not clever enough anyway but even if I was I doubt I could handle the stress. Takes a certain type of person to do that job.

In regards to the book, his writing style is ace and the pages just fly by effortlessly.

• Upvote 1

Are the Neal Carey books any good by Don Winslow? Average review on Amazon. Also looking at the order of the Savages books, The Kings of Cool was written after Savages but appears first in the reading list order of The Savages books series. One review says that savages is the prequel.