You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Only just seen this, sorry. I’ve read all of the Bobiverse books, I think. Despite the lack of real peril and the fact that every single problem just gets solved, I really liked them. Not sure they bear repeat reading, but certainly entertaining first time round. 

The fourth one came out just recently. Much inline with the others. 

Since the summer my reading has slowed almost to a halt; I read for work or for 10 minutes before I fall asleep. I'm currently reading The Long Earth series by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, a light and enjoyable enough story about the concept of parallel earth's that people are able to 'step' between.  

I need to rediscover my reading mojo and there are, as always, some good recommendations over the last couple of pages that look interesting.

East of Eden

It took me months to get to two-thirds of it and then I finished the last 200 pages in three days. Incredible portrayal of familial relationships in the American West at the turn of the 19th century with some truly outstanding, inciteful characters. It was my first time reading Steinbeck and won't be my last. I'm probably going to try Mice & Men next.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the latest Micky Haller novel (with a cameo from Bosch) by Michael Connolly, called The Law of Innocence. It was exactly what you want from a courtroom drama: pacy and engaging without being too cliched. 

Now on Ready Player Two, the sequel to his first book, by Ernest Cline. 

Reading The Power of The Dog at the mo.

About Mexican drug cartels. It’s also touching on the CIA involvement in smuggling cocaine to fund Nicaraguan contras in fighting commmunism in the 80s. So revisiting themes from the tv series Snowfall which I know loads on here love (including me). Really enjoying it.

On 13/12/2020 at 09:39, Edward. said:

I know it’s early but what Ready Player Two like? Really enjoyed One.

I’m only a few chapters in, but it basically follows on from exactly where the last one ended. Drops you right in and you’re away.   

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Found my old Kindle when I was moving.  Any websites to avoid accidently downloading free versions?

Avoid mobism.org. Mostly epubs which you would have to convert to .mobi (lots of free ways of doing it) . Don't even consider a cheap subscription which would make downloading easier. I've been staying away from it for years.

39 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Avoid mobism.org. Mostly epubs which you would have to convert to .mobi (lots of free ways of doing it) . Don't even consider a cheap subscription which would make downloading easier. I've been staying away from it for years.

Thanks mate. Accidentally stumbled upon b-ok.xyz and in the style of Pete price handed myself straight to the police. 

Muhammad - A Prophet for Our Time

Karen Armstrong

By turns history, apologia and hagiography, still a very good place to start reading on a fascinating historical subject.

7 of 10

BTW, if you can hit it when it's open for new members, you should avoid this site like the plague if you're looking for both ebooks and audiobooks:

https://www.myanonamouse.net/

4 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Sorry Paulie. That should have been mobilism.org. Fat fingers  and the middle of the night!

I'd still recommend you don't  have a look. The bastards have all the bestsellers, new releases. Lots of non fiction (mostly pdfs) audio books and modded Android apps. After here and the Grauniad, it's my least favorite site

46 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Muhammad - A Prophet for Our Time

Karen Armstrong

By turns history, apologia and hagiography, still a very good place to start reading on a fascinating historical subject.

7 of 10

BTW, if you can hit it when it's open for new members, you should avoid this site like the plague if you're looking for both ebooks and audiobooks:

https://www.myanonamouse.net/

They’d the best site to avoid. Sugar Ape gave me an invite so I could reject it. Not sure if I have any, but I’m sure he knows how to sort it. @Sugar Ape

V2 by Robert Harris is an interesting read. I'm a big fan of his, especially Fatherland, Enigma and An Officer and a Spy. His latest is not the most interesting or riveting story but as always the historical element and his attention to detail on "technical" stuff is superb.

• 3 weeks later...

I read Tom Allen’s autobiography No Shame. It’s funny and quite poignant as he writes about being an eccentric gay kid coming to terms with who he is. 

Now reading Oliver Stone’s autobiography after listening to him on Louis Theroux’s podcast. Absolutely fascinating bloke and a very talented writer.