You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah it’s based on the books but it was truly awful. Do not watch it. They changed loads from the books, think it’s been optioned for a new TV series by Fox or someone recently.

If anyone reads the books (and yes Vlad, they really, really are about a wizard PI) then bear in mind the first couple were wrote when the author was in his 20s and are the first books he ever wrote. They can be a bit clumsy at first but once they get going they’re great.

I read the first one and thought it wasn't up too much

You're saying they get better?

2 hours ago, mattyq said:

I read the first one and thought it wasn't up too much

You're saying they get better?

Yes, well better. Providing you like this kind of book in the first place then I’d stick with it. If it’s not the kind of thing you’d normally read then I’d give it a miss. 

He wrote the first couple of books when he was 25 if I recall correctly and they were his first attempts at writing, so considering when I was the same age I was living in a flat with my mate getting pissed every night I think they’re a good achievement but they aren’t as polished as the later books. I still like the first books he did though, I don’t find them a slog to get through or anything. 

First couple of books are good. Next couple are very good. From book five they’re superb. I think of them like Breaking Bad, first couple of seasons of that are good but pale in comparison to the later seasons. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just paused on a full re-read of the Bosch books to read the new Charlie Parker book, The Dirty South, by John Connelly. Predictably it’s really good although, as it flashes back to the time just after his wife and daughter were murdered, it doesn’t deal with the overarching narrative in any way.

However, just like the mini-story he released online every day through the first couple of months of lockdown, it’s still a good story. That said, I’m hoping the next one returns to Parker’s present. 

Finished all of the Michel Connolly back to back (minus Bosch 1), entire Bosch universe, plus stand alones, short story collections, must be some 35 titles in all. Took me about 9 months I think. Pretty entertaining. He is very good at pacing and structuring and courtroom dramas are also captivating. One or two too many serial killers for my liking overall. Some over the top endings, as always in crime, but almost never boring.   

I’ve been meaning to come back and finish my review of American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. 

For those that haven’t heard of it, it’s the story of a Mexican mother and her young son attempting to escape the clutches of a local cartel leader by journeying from Acapulco to the USA. A journey which starts after the murder of her husband and members of their wider family. 

As was mentioned by another poster, the book came in for a bit of criticism for the way it portrays Mexican culture, the powers of the cartels and the exploitation of refugees in that country. I’m no expert on this but you can certainly see how elements of it might be somewhat controversial.

It’s a good holiday type read though. Not too heavy, but a reasonably gripping yarn with some moments of genuine suspense. Some of the relationships that develop during their journey are as touching as they are sometimes tragic.

Makes the reader reflect on what refugees, all over the world, often go through to escape whatever it is they need to. They all have stories to tell and many of these are almost beyond our comprehension. 

7.5/10.

I’m now reading One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson. Enjoying it so far but early days. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve been meaning to come back and finish my review of American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. 

For those that haven’t heard of it, it’s the story of a Mexican mother and her young son attempting to escape the clutches of a local cartel leader by journeying from Acapulco to the USA. A journey which starts after the murder of her husband and members of their wider family. 

As was mentioned by another poster, the book came in for a bit of criticism for the way it portrays Mexican culture, the powers of the cartels and the exploitation of refugees in that country. I’m no expert on this but you can certainly see how elements of it might be somewhat controversial.

It’s a good holiday type read though. Not too heavy, but a reasonably gripping yarn with some moments of genuine suspense. Some of the relationships that develop during their journey are as touching as they are sometimes tragic.

Makes the reader reflect on what refugees, all over the world, often go through to escape whatever it is they need to. They all have stories to tell and many of these are almost beyond our comprehension. 

7.5/10.

I’m now reading One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson. Enjoying it so far but early days. 

Bill Bryson books are great by default.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dave D said:

How does it compare to a David Gemmell book? Ive looked for a long time for an author that can hit that standard in the genre   

Not sure, I’ve not read his work, but it’s probably the only book series that gets regular physical and audible responses as I read it. He’s not much one for prose but the story and world building is outrageously good, imo. 

16 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Not sure, I’ve not read his work, but it’s probably the only book series that gets regular physical and audible responses as I read it. He’s not much one for prose but the story and world building is outrageously good, imo. 

May have a look- try Gemmell books- you'll love them.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Trials of Koli by M. R. Carey is the

second of the Rampart Trilogy set in a post-apocalyptic, medieval-like Britain where a handful of people have various pieces of super tech left over from the society that destroyed itself in a huge war. In terms of both plot and characterisation it is fucking brilliant and even better than the first one, The Book of Koli. Can’t wait for number three in March. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fahrenheit 451, enjoyed this a lot and found the concept of why they were burning books great and relevant.

Currently half way through Homage to Catalonia, which is really good.

Recently read Brave New World and then 451, went for 1984 next but struggled to get into it, I have read before years ago and it didn't grip me then either, so started Homage instead.

My book choice says a lot about my current take of the way the world is going.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Matt Forde’s new “hilarious” book Politically Homeless isn’t getting great reviews on Amazon....The unfunny cunt has been having a twitter spat blaming Corbynistas posting negative reviews rather than the fact he’s an unfunny cunt 

EkDR8HAWkAI6FJD?format=jpg&name=medium

EkDR8S7WAAE4_VD?format=jpg&name=large

EkDR8iYXkAATIQA?format=jpg&name=medium

EkDR9kAWsAAGZZt?format=jpg&name=large

16 hours ago, Stickman said:

I see Matt Forde’s new “hilarious” book Politically Homeless isn’t getting great reviews on Amazon....The unfunny cunt has been having a twitter spat blaming Corbynistas posting negative reviews rather than the fact he’s an unfunny cunt 

EkDR8HAWkAI6FJD?format=jpg&name=medium

EkDR8S7WAAE4_VD?format=jpg&name=large

EkDR8iYXkAATIQA?format=jpg&name=medium

EkDR9kAWsAAGZZt?format=jpg&name=large

Doesn’t it seem strange a lot of people bought a book by someone they hate? 

13 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Doesn’t it seem strange a lot of people bought a book by someone they hate? 

Just had a look out of curiosity, the reviews seem to be split between (probably publisher placed) five stars and 43% of one star reviewers who clearly hate him and his politics but seemingly rushed to buy or at least read his book. Bizarre.