You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Ive got Life of Pi to read. I'll wait for you to finish before I bother. 

I’m still enjoying it but my pace has slowed and I’m still only about half way through.

On 20/04/2020 at 14:42, Paul said:

Finished The Book of Koli and absolutely loved it. At work all this week so might wait for the new Mark Lawrence in the morning and read Winslow and King after that. 

So I read the new Don Winslow first, which is called Broken. It’s a series of short stories that returns to familiar themes (drugs, the border, surfing) and features many favourite former characters. The tone was much lighter than his more heavy-weight recent trilogy and I absolutely loved it. Highly recommended for Winslow fans. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

There’s a new Mark Lawrence book out this week.  

It’s already out. I got it last week. It’s just in a queue behind Don Winslow (now read) and Stephen King. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

It’s already out. I got it last week. It’s just in a queue behind Don Winslow (now read) and Stephen King

Both of those are next for  me, I think I'll start with the Stephen King

• Upvote 1

I've read the first two in that Winslow book and loved them both. I'm trying to stretch this book out so I'm reading different things in between each story. I had a go at a novella by Richard and Billy Chizmar called Widow's Point, a ghost story set in a light house. Next is a hard-boiled John D MacDonald novel that is mentioned in the first story of Stephen King's new collection called One Monday We Killed Them All. Not sure what it's about.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Sut said:

I've read the first two in that Winslow book and loved them both. I'm trying to stretch this book out so I'm reading different things in between each story. I had a go at a novella by Richard and Billy Chizmar called Widow's Point, a ghost story set in a light house. Next is a hard-boiled John D MacDonald novel that is mentioned in the first story of Stephen King's new collection called One Monday We Killed Them All. Not sure what it's about.

I’m on the King book now and also fancied checking out a book mentioned in that first story. Think it was a different one to the one you’ve mentioned though. I’ll have to flick back and check when I’ve finished it. 

• Upvote 1

Was it Octopus or Warlock? I downloaded samples of each of them, along with They Shoot Horses, Don't They? There are always tons of great suggestions for other reading in his books. It's also worth just googling his recommendations. 

I'd definitely read Widow's Point, I really enjoyed that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sut said:

Was it Octopus or Warlock? I downloaded samples of each of them, along with They Shoot Horses, Don't They? There are always tons of great suggestions for other reading in his books. It's also worth just googling his recommendations. 

I'd definitely read Widow's Point, I really enjoyed that.

Octopus. That’s it. By Frank someone. 

On 08/04/2020 at 23:26, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Started re-reading A Confederacy of Dunces today. A chapter in and I'm pissing myself already. An all-timer. 

Ignatius J. Reilly is one of the great literary comic creations, with the permanent tone of Stronts calling 'Istvan Kunstain' an insolent, slanderous worm.

Sublime.

That's one of the books I bought Mrs O'T at Christmas. I've been waiting for her to get round to reading it first (because it doesn't seem right to nab it before she's finished).

• Upvote 1

On 30/04/2020 at 00:44, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's one of the books I bought Mrs O'T at Christmas. I've been waiting for her to get round to reading it first (because it doesn't seem right to nab it before she's finished).

It’s a belter.

Just got Akala’s book and Trainspotting through the post. Been wanting to re-read the latter for a while and can’t remember who I lent my decades old copy to, or when. 

Was all chuffed when they arrived as it gives me something fresh to look at, opened Trainspotting up and saw this.

24059ECE-700C-4750-B721-F4D66CAA563C.jpeg

What a tit I am.

• Upvote 3

What are your thoughts on Lee Child's and Dan Brown's writing styles? I keep hearing that they're "good storytellers not great writers", is that snobbery do you reckon?

Been watching some YouTube interviews of Child's and really like his attitude. Started writing when he was pissed off because he'd been made redundant and used to have his boss's computers hacked when he was  a shop steward at Granada. 

41 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What are your thoughts on Lee Child's and Dan Brown's writing styles? I keep hearing that they're "good storytellers not great writers", is that snobbery do you reckon?

Been watching some YouTube interviews of Child's and really like his attitude. Started writing when he was pissed off because he'd been made redundant and used to have his boss's computers hacked when he was  a shop steward at Granada. 

I'm not exactly a literary person by any stretch of the imagination, but Dan Brown is absolutely fucking awful both in terms of writing and storytelling. I bought a couple of his one holiday and managed to struggle through the laughable Da Vinci Code, but I barely lasted a couple of chapters of the other book (Angels and Demons, I think). It was like some 10 year old kid's English essay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've just started the first book of the Interdependency series by John Scalzi (author of Old Man's War, which I liked quite a lot), and it's shaping up to be very interesting. It's called The Collapsing Empire. Hopefully the entire series is good, unlike Old Man's War which started well with the first book, then went full circle into its own arsehole, telling the same story from his daughter's perspective. If you like Science Fiction, I think Scalzi is pretty decent. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Dan Brown is fucking awful. Got through 50 odd pages and threw it away, DaVinci Code.

Pretty sure it's the worst piece of published writing I've had the misfortune to come across.

Quite like the Jack Reacher books. They're all the same and the ending is rarely as good as the beginning and the middle but the pace is good and they crack along. 

Pageturners

• Upvote 1