You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

52 minutes ago, Paul said:

Read a new SF/dystopian future book by Andrew Hunter Murray called The Last Day. It’s set in a future where earth no longer spins on its axis and the world now has permanently uninhabitable zones of hot and cold and a small Goldilocks zone that has the UK at its centre. Britain is controlled by a dictator and the story takes the form of a conspiracy thriller. It’s a good read. Definitely recommended. 

Now on Peter Crouch’s second book, which is good, and I’ve downloaded samples of Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson, The Clan Of The Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel and The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid to help decide my next read. 

Nice one, Paul. Always looking for new Sci-Fi recommendations. Lately I’ve been looking for something that’s an adult Space Opera. Star Trek with sharper edges. 

5 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Nice one, Paul. Always looking for new Sci-Fi recommendations. Lately I’ve been looking for something that’s an adult Space Opera. Star Trek with sharper edges. 

The Salvation books by Peter F. Hamilton are really good. Think I reviewed them on here somewhere. Worth a look at least, I’d say. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Read Silas Marner last week. First Eliot I'd read. Very good, and left an impression that Eliot herself was fucking sound.

They say Middlemarch is great,

I had to read Murder in the Cathedral from the other Eliot for school. It was no Agatha Christie, I can tell you that.

52 minutes ago, Paul said:

The Salvation books by Peter F. Hamilton are really good. Think I reviewed them on here somewhere. Worth a look at least, I’d say. 

Thank you, good Sir. I’ve been reading Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos. It’s okay, but it’s like a poor version on Scalzi’s Old Man’s War. 

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

It's so good that I've no interest in ever watching the film.

How can you not be gripped by a book with the opening line "they're out there"?

The book and film both stand alone brilliantly; the trick is to try not to compare one with the other, but just enjoy them in their own right.

The Wall by John Lanchester.

Set in a future Britain after waters around the world have risen. Most citizens have to serve two years guarding the walls surrounding the island from displaced 'invaders' on boats. If people get over the walls on any guards' watch, they themselves are put out to sea instead. Written from the perspective of somebody beginning their term manning the barricades.

Fantastic novel that works great as a dystopian thriller or as a warning about the future. Couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your Ebook Deals

Alibis & Angels

Alibis & Angels
By Olivia Matthews
The mayor of Briar Coast has a target on her back and a murderer in hot pursuit. Can Sister Lou get to the bottom of this politically motivated mystery when the list of suspects is a mile long?
Cozy Mysteries
£0.99  £6.99
Amazon
Google
A Dream to Die For

A Dream to Die For
By Susan Z. Ritz
Celeste Fortune’s therapist is the leader of the Dreamland cult — and when she discovers his dead body, the cult turns on her. This supernatural thrill-ride has “a wonderfully intriguing cast of characters and a richly atmospheric small-town setting” (New York Times bestselling author Jennifer McMahon).
Supernatural Suspense
£0.99  £6.63
Amazon
Google
The Trigger

The Trigger
By Daniel J. Patinkin
The true stories of six killers unfold in this harrowing look at American violence and crime. “A compelling and gripping work that explores gut-wrenching social issues” (New York Times bestselling author Tony D’Souza).
True Crime
£1.99  £14.99
Amazon
Google
The Low-Cholesterol Cookbook for Two

The Low-Cholesterol Cookbook for Two
By Andy De Santis with Michelle Anderson
Eat light and healthy with 100 perfectly portioned recipes for two! This cookbook offers a diet that’s easy on your heart and waistline, not to mention your wallet.
Cooking
£0.99  £1.99
Amazon

Rogue Starship

Rogue Starship
By David Alastair Hayden
Book one in a series: When an archaeologist unearths a long-buried starship, his discovery sends his son Siv a century into the future! Recently awakened from cryogenic sleep, can Siv and his AI companion navigate and survive a strange new world?
Science Fiction
£0.99  £3.33
Amazon

Legacy of Earth

Legacy of Earth
By Juanita Coulson
On a distant planet, human clone Anthony Saunder strikes a deal with the alien Whimeds. But when he finds himself entangled in extraterrestrial intrigue, can he survive a dangerous clash between his allies and their mortal enemies?
Science Fiction
£0.99  £3.99
Amazon

Smith Wigglesworth on Prayer, Power, and Miracles

Smith Wigglesworth on Prayer, Power, and Miracles
By Smith Wigglesworth and Roberts Liardon, Ed.
A timeless guide to the power of prayer! In this classic collection of writings, a pioneering evangelist offers insights that can revitalize your faith and reveal miracles in your life.
Christian Nonfiction
£0.99  £8.07
Amazon
Google
Living Trusts for Everyone

Living Trusts for Everyone
By Ronald Farrington Sharp
While many people understand what a will is, few know that living trusts can be a good alternative. This down-to-earth guide explains what they are and how you can create one to provide for your loved ones.
Business
£1.99  £9.99
Amazon
Google
Innocent

Innocent
By Cathy Glass
When New York Times bestselling author and foster parent Cathy Glass took in two siblings, both three-year-old Molly and 18-month-old Kit became mysteriously ill while under her care. As the cause of their sickness was discovered, it would reveal sinister truths about their background… A gripping memoir.
Biographies and Memoirs
£0.99  £4.49
Amazon
Google
The American Duchess

The American Duchess
By Anna Pasternak
Who was the mysterious, widely misunderstood woman who so captured the heart of a king that he gave up his throne? One of the most controversial figures in British royal history is brought to vivid life in this compelling biography of Wallis Simpson.
General Nonfiction
£0.99  £9.99
Amazon

Type 1 Diabetes for the Newly Diagnosed

Type 1 Diabetes for the Newly Diagnosed
By Ariel Warren
Have you been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? It can be overwhelming news, and you may not know where to start — but this book is designed to answer the questions you might have forgotten to ask the doctor, provide practical tips for blood sugar management, and help you thrive.
Advice and How-To
£0.99  £9.99
Amazon

Battle-Cruisers

Battle-Cruisers
By Ronald Bassett
Bttle c were lighter and faster than battleships — but painfully outmatched in combat. From the most famous cruisers to the soldiers who lived and died on them, a celebrated historian tours the enthralling, tragic history of these vessels.
History
£0.99  £4.99
Amazon

The Gilded Age

The Gilded Age
By Milton Rugoff
A “spirited and immensely beguiling book” (The New York Times): Get an intimate look at the lives of individuals who left their mark during the Gilded Age. From Alva Vanderbilt to Victoria Woodhull, this collective biography reveals what it was like to live in the time of excess.
History
£2.99  £9.99
Amazon
Google
Shaman

Shaman
By Noah Gordon
Dr. Robert Judson Cole’s journey from Scotland to the American frontier transforms his life and medical career in this “sweeping historical drama” (The New York Times Book Review). “Brilliant… A picture of America in the grip of expansionist fever and the Civil War” (Library Journal).
Historical Fiction
£1.99  £10.44
Amazon
Google
Come

Come
By Becca Jameson
When Katy’s boss puts her in an awkward position, she grabs the first man she sees to put a stop to his advances. What starts as a clever ploy quickly transforms into something more with sexy, dominant MMA fighter Rafe. A red-hot erotic romance!
Erotic Romance
£0.99  £1.99
Amazon

Royal Firsts: Three Book Boxset

Royal Firsts: Three Book Boxset
By Nana Malone
In this sizzling box set from a USA Today bestselling author, three royal brothers find passion in the most unexpected places… But can the feisty women they fall for tame their bad-boy ways?
New Adult Romance
£0.99  £6.99
Amazon
Google
You Are Not Alone

You Are Not Alone
By Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen
An enthralling new release from a #1 New York Times bestselling duo: Lonely Shay’s life turns around when she meets the glamorous Moore sisters and their circle of friends. But these women play a dangerous game — and Shay might be their new target…
Thrillers
£0.99  £7.99
Amazon
Google
The Other You

The Other You
By J.S. Monroe
Police consultant Kate was an expert at recognizing faces in a crowd — until her accident. Now she’s not even sure if Rob, the man who’s caring for her in his Cornish home, is who he says he is… A disturbing thriller “full of unpredictable twists” (The Times).
Thrillers
£0.99  £3.47
Amazon
Google
The Hunters Box Set: Books 1–5

The Hunters Box Set: Books 1–5
By Glenn Trust
Meet the Hunters: a group of dedicated law enforcement agents committed to bringing evildoers to justice. Their forays into solving deadly crimes and dismantling conspiracies play out in this box set of intense thrillers!
Thrillers
£0.99  £5.29
Amazon

Belle Chasse

Belle Chasse
By William H. Lovejoy
Veteran Navy SEAL Glenn Kenney pursues his ex-wife’s killer from the Mississippi to the Caribbean — with a dogged police detective close on his tail. A pulse-pounding nautical thriller from “a master storyteller” (Clive Cussler).
Action and Adventure
£0.99  £3.99
Amazon

The Lie

The Lie
By Hilary Boyd
From a New York Times bestselling author: After receiving a letter about her husband’s shocking past, Romy leaves him — but can she really walk away from three decades of marriage? “Boyd is as canny as Joanna Trollope at observing family life” (Daily Mail).
Bestsellers, Psychological Thrillers, Women's Fiction
£0.99  £4.99
Amazon
Google
Sanctuary 12

Sanctuary 12
By T. W. Malpass
Nine strangers are drawn to an old mansion by a child’s cryptic whispers. There they meet Mr. Cradleworth, whose disturbing plans for the group will slowly come to light…
Horror
Free!  £3.99
Amazon

Only the Worthy

Only the Worthy
By Morgan Rice
From a USA Today bestselling author: As Royce learns to use his emerging powers, he must risk everything to save the lovely Genevieve — and unravel the secrets of his lineage. An epic fantasy that’s first in a series!
Fantasy
Free!  £1.99
Amazon
Google
Renegade

Renegade
By Erica Stevens
With over 4,600 five-star Goodreads ratings: Aria escapes a vampire fortress, but she’s haunted by memories of her time as a blood slave. When irresistible vampire Braith tracks her down, will he try to reclaim her — or will she instead pay the ultimate price for her escape?
Paranormal Romance
Free!  £1.99
Amazon
Google
Unexpected Reality

Unexpected Reality
By Kaylee Ryan
From a USA Today bestselling author: All Ridge wants is a single steamy hookup with Melissa. But when their one-night stand results in an unexpected surprise, he’ll have to take on a responsibility he never thought he’d have! With over 3,100 five-star ratings on Goodreads.
New Adult Romance
Free!  £2.66
Amazon

Watching

Watching
By Blake Pierce
A pulse-racing thriller: Can a brilliant young psychology major help the FBI take down a serial murderer? Aspiring agent Riley Paige is thrown into the deep end when she becomes a twisted killer’s next target…
Crime Fiction
Free!  £0.99
Amaz
Google

Just finished Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. I’ve read some of his other books like his takes on Bond and Sherlock Holmes, but this is his first stand alone adult novel I’ve read of his.

I used to read a lot of Agatha Chistie, Poirot in particular, when I was a kid and this book seems like a bit of a love letter to Christie and whodunnits in general. 

It starts with a book editor getting the latest copy of the Atticus Pund series ‘Magpie Murders’ to read and the first half of the book is her reading that which is a very good pastiche of your typical Poirot novel. Set in a small village in the 50s, couple of gruesome murders and a big list of suspects and a Poirot like detective on the scene poking into things. 

Halfway through the book as you are getting to the end of the Atticus Pund mystery the novel suddenly ends with the book missing its last couple of chapters. 

We then get a death in the present day which the editor is drawn into as she tries to hunt down the missing chapters so it’s sort of like two books in one. 

If you like Poirot or whodunnits then you’ll like this and it’s definitely worth checking out. 7.5/10. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/03/2020 at 05:11, Sugar Ape said:

Just finished Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. I’ve read some of his other books like his takes on Bond and Sherlock Holmes, but this is his first stand alone adult novel I’ve read of his.

I used to read a lot of Agatha Chistie, Poirot in particular, when I was a kid and this book seems like a bit of a love letter to Christie and whodunnits in general. 

It starts with a book editor getting the latest copy of the Atticus Pund series ‘Magpie Murders’ to read and the first half of the book is her reading that which is a very good pastiche of your typical Poirot novel. Set in a small village in the 50s, couple of gruesome murders and a big list of suspects and a Poirot like detective on the scene poking into things. 

Halfway through the book as you are getting to the end of the Atticus Pund mystery the novel suddenly ends with the book missing its last couple of chapters. 

We then get a death in the present day which the editor is drawn into as she tries to hunt down the missing chapters so it’s sort of like two books in one. 

If you like Poirot or whodunnits then you’ll like this and it’s definitely worth checking out. 7.5/10. 

Great author. Also done a lot of TV work, he wrote Foyles War and has done scripts for Poirot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Red Mars, but it just wasn’t engaging enough so I’ve not bothered with the other two in the trilogy. 

I read the first Hill/Jordan book by Val McDermid about the hunt for a serial killer. It’s pretty gruesome at times but a decent read. I’m on the second one now, The Wire In The Blood. 

However, I’ll also be all over that Parker novella SA mentioned above. Superb heads up, that. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone trying to homeschool kids at the minute should take a look at Amazon's kindle site - one of the sections they have there is a load of free books for kids. Another has a load of books for a range of subjects (mainly Maths and Science) for age groups from infants up to a-level.

I've not long finished Alistair Reynolds' third Revenger novel and can recommend it to anyone on the lookout for some Space Opera. I'm not far into Empress of Forever, which is kind of a female Flash Gordon/Star Wars SF romp that's not too bad.

I've just started one of Norman Mailer's books, Fire on the Moon, about the Apollo 11 mission. It appears to be mostly about himself so far, though.

• Upvote 2