You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just noticed the next Parker novel ‘The Dirty South’ is a prequel to his first book ‘Every dead thing’ and won’t have any supernatural elements apparently. Out next April. Synopsis below:

It is 1999, and someone is slaughtering young black women in Burdon County, Arkansas.

But no one wants to admit it, not in the Dirty South.

In an Arkansas jail cell sits a former NYPD detective, stricken by grief.

He is mourning the death of his wife and child, and searching in vain for their killer. He cares only for his own lost family.

But that is about to change . . .

Witness the becoming of Charlie Parker.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Just noticed the next Parker novel ‘The Dirty South’ is a prequel to his first book ‘Every dead thing’ and won’t have any supernatural elements apparently. Out next April. Synopsis below:

It is 1999, and someone is slaughtering young black women in Burdon County, Arkansas.

But no one wants to admit it, not in the Dirty South.

In an Arkansas jail cell sits a former NYPD detective, stricken by grief.

He is mourning the death of his wife and child, and searching in vain for their killer. He cares only for his own lost family.

But that is about to change . . .

Witness the becoming of Charlie Parker.

Interesting route to go down from Connolly. I wasn't overly keen on on the last book to be honest, just didn't hook me like the others.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Interesting route to go down from Connolly. I wasn't overly keen on on the last book to be honest, just didn't hook me like the others.

By far the worst Parker novel for me. Really struggled with a lot of it which I put down to it being set in England which just bored me. It had way too much focus on the British police investigators.

I read an interview where he said the last book closed off a sequence of six novels and he needed some space to decide what to do with the series so the next book is a placeholder to give him some time. 

The interview also mentioned that someone has the option on making a Parker TV series which could go to pilot. It’s here if you want to read it:

https://city-press.news24.com/Trending/Books/john-connollys-angel-of-retribution-charlie-parker-returns-20190624

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

By far the worst Parker novel for me. Really struggled with a lot of it which I put down to it being set in England which just bored me. It had way too much focus on the British police investigators.

I read an interview where he said the last book closed off a sequence of six novels and he needed some space to decide what to do with the series so the next book is a placeholder to give him some time. 

The interview also mentioned that someone has the option on making a Parker TV series which could go to pilot. It’s here if you want to read it:

https://city-press.news24.com/Trending/Books/john-connollys-angel-of-retribution-charlie-parker-returns-20190624

The chapters describing cathedrals, etc bored me to tears.

I thought he was against selling the rights to TV? Money talks, not that mind as it could be a great show if done well 

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

The chapters describing cathedrals, etc bored me to tears.

I thought he was against selling the rights to TV? Money talks, not that mind as it could be a great show if done well 

It’s definitely being looked at for TV, he said himself on Twitter it’s been optioned but that was almost a year ago. I can’t find any info on who has the option though, someone like HBO or Amazon and I’d have high expectations for it, a network channel like Fox or NBC and I wouldn’t be expecting much. 

68843B79-36B5-4428-8FA4-EF661D28490B.png

Not sure who I’d like to see as Parker. In my mind, he’s not a grock or super handsome. He’s an ordinary bloke, with a quick wit and a fearless/relentless streak. Who fits that bill?

Louis is slightly easier: very black, very hard, very stoic and very straight appearing. Mahershala Ali would be good. 

Angel would be someone like Michael Peña. 

9 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm sure they'll find the right guy. I wasn't sure about Titus Welliver as Bosch when I saw him announced but he's a brilliant choice.

My only problem with Titus Welliver is that he walks like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit. Very good apart from that though. 

• Upvote 1

Just finished The Outsider by Stephen King. It was great and he also managed a decent ending for once. 

Now to The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman, the second volume of The Book of Dust. I love these books so much, I've bought it in hardback like all the others. No kindle here; these books are all-time greats and I want them on my shelf. 

• Upvote 2

On 28/09/2019 at 11:21, Paul said:

Not sure who I’d like to see as Parker. In my mind, he’s not a grock or super handsome. He’s an ordinary bloke, with a quick wit and a fearless/relentless streak. Who fits that bill?

Louis is slightly easier: very black, very hard, very stoic and very straight appearing. Mahershala Ali would be good. 

Angel would be someone like Michael Peña. 

Mmm, very hard. 

I lost my kindle last week. Fucking devastated.