You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Read the very last The Walking Dead graphic novel and loved it. 193 issues is an incredible run and it was infinitely better than the (formerly decent) TV show. 

Also read the first Myron Bolitar book by Harlan Coben on SA’s recommendation. It was alright but felt a bit cheesy and a bit predictable. However, as it’s the first in a series and they’re nearly always quite weak and also because I’ve never been let down by SA before (in fact he has impeccable taste in books), I’ll read

on at some point. 

What happens in WD? 

17 hours ago, Paul said:

Also read the first Myron Bolitar book by Harlan Coben on SA’s recommendation. It was alright but felt a bit cheesy and a bit predictable. However, as it’s the first in a series and they’re nearly always quite weak and also because I’ve never been let down by SA before (in fact he has impeccable taste in books), I’ll read

on at some point. 

That’s fair comment, I think they are a bit cheesy when viewed next to a lot of other comparable series which is why it can be hard to recommend them. A sports agent and a Wall Street financier don’t grab the imagination the same way a private eye and an ex-marine do. 

They’re probably a level below the Crais and Lehane series but I still think they’re a very good read. From the third novel onwards the plots become more complex and you learn more of the backstory of the characters. They’re definitely worth sticking with. 

For me, top tier crime series are:

John Connolly - Parker series 

Robert Crais - Cole/Pike series 

James Lee Burke - Robicheaux series

Dennis Lehane - Kenzie/Gennaro series

Robert B.Parker - Spenser series

Level below but still very good:

Harlan Coban - Bolitar series

Michael Connelly - Bosch series

Jack Kerley - Carson Ryder series

Richard Montanari - Byrne/Balzano series

I’m just about to start the Max Mingus trilogy by Nick stone again starting with Mr Clarinet. Ex cop and PI is hired to find a billionaires kid who has gone missing on Haiti. Bit different from your standard crime novels with a lot of voodoo stuff thrown in. Recommended. 

• Upvote 1

When Connelly is on top of his game he’s definitely a top tier writer, but whenever I try to read the Bosch books from scratch they sort of all blend into one halfway through and I grow a bit bored of them. That doesn’t happen with, say, James Lee Burke or Crais. 

The best Michael Connelly book I’ve read is actually one that doesn’t feature Bosch called The Poet about a serial killer. Very good book.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Pretty good. If you like Nordic noir he is probably the best. 

I don't think he would even make my top 10 list.

I'd say, if you want to check if you'd like "Nordic noir" and mainly read American and British crime, he is a good entry point into Nordic writers. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Few I’ve read since the last time I reviewed on here.

1. The Girl Who Lived Twice - David Lagercrantz

The latest in the continuation of the Lisbeth Salander/Millenium books. Pretty disappointing really. Far less complex and not really very engaging. It was alright, but that was all. 

2. The Second Sleep - Robert Harris

A good idea (post-apocalypse England reverting to an almost medieval way of life) that is badly used. Ultimately a bit boring really. 

3. The Institute - Stephen King

Brilliant. Easily his best in a while. As with nearly all his books the ending is a bit of a damp squib, but I really enjoyed it. It’d make a great film. 

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

I enjoyed almost every Michael Crichton novel. He’s ace. 

I ordered it off eBay for about 2 quid and it came as a big hard-back with Congo in it as well. 2 in 1. 

Don't think I have read anything of his before but I like his style. Clearly does his research. 

Nearly finished A Book of Bones. I think it has been perfect so far. I do live in Hexhamshire though so I don’t think that Parker et al not being in it as much has worked really well. the local history is spot on even peoples surnames have been fairly accurate.

On 22/09/2019 at 14:15, Paul said:

3. The Institute - Stephen King

Brilliant. Easily his best in a while. As with nearly all his books the ending is a bit of a damp squib, but I really enjoyed it. It’d make a great film. 

Yeah, his best in a long time for me too. Agree on the damp squib ending, but I find the same with the John Connolly Parker books too sometimes. The enjoyment is always in the set-up, we always have a fair idea how the shoot-out at the end will pan out.

I thought it owed a debt to Stranger Things, which itself is largely a homage to the man himself and probably wouldn't exist without him. Nice little circle of appreciation there.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking for some good non-fiction stuff. I like:

True crime; Mafia, gangs, undercover police, etc.

Ex-Military biographies (Along the lines of Ant Middleton, have been reading Jason Fox at the moment which is very good).

I've been watching The Americans of late so true accounts of KGB would be interesting or IRA, etc.

I'm open to other non-fiction, providing it's good.

20 hours ago, Elite said:

Ex-Military biographies (Along the lines of Ant Middleton, have been reading Jason Fox at the moment which is very good).

I've been watching The Americans of late so true accounts of KGB would be interesting or IRA, etc.

My arl man only reads true crime, mafia, footy hooligan type books and I've been buying them for him for years. Off the top of my head without having a look next time I'm down at his, I'll just post the Amazon links and you can look yourself and see what appeals to you.

Think this is probably his all time favourite book. Monster by Kody Scott - LA gang stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Autobiography-L-Member/dp/0802141447/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2IWD1NABMDO21&keywords=monster+kody+scott&qid=1569416245&sprefix=monster+kod%2Caps%2C297&sr=8-1

Muscle - Carlton Leach

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1904034489/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paul Ferris - Got a few books, think this is the first one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferris-Conspiracy-Paul/dp/1840183888/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=paul+ferris&qid=1569418496&sr=8-3

Business or blood - Canadian mafia one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Blood-Business-TV-Tie/dp/0735274541/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3HE9NC3TETMHN&keywords=business+or+blood&qid=1569418807&sprefix=business+or%2Caps%2C289&sr=8-1

Guvnors by Mickey Francis - Manchester City hooligan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guvnors-Autobiography-Football-Hooligan-Leader-ebook/dp/B006E4K2E0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=RI8BK8QUFBDV&keywords=mickey+francis&qid=1569418895&sprefix=mickey+fran%2Caps%2C315&sr=8-1

Parkhust tales by Norman Parker

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Parkhurst-Tales-Britains-Toughest-ebook/dp/B0074A6IXM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3NTA675B1UDLT&keywords=parkhurst+tales&qid=1569419172&sprefix=parkhur%2Caps%2C288&sr=8-1

Wild Thing - Lew Yates

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1845962699/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm reading A Secret History of the IRA by Ed Moloney at the moment. I'd recommend it.

• Upvote 2

On 06/04/2019 at 15:22, El Rojo said:

Chernobyl- History of A Tragedy by Serhii Plokhy

Overview of everything that happened in April 1986 and after, including how the Soviet handling of the disaster in a large part accelerated independence campaigns in the Ukraine and elsewhere.

Also tells the tragic human story of many, including the bravery of the early responders who probably knew their fate. 

A few chilling paragraphs in the epilogue highlight that over 20 new reactors are under construction in China, Russia, India, the UAE, Pakistan and Egypt. Autocratic regimes with dubious attitudes to safety and even human life - what a wonderful combination.

This was excellent non-fiction too.