You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Currently really loving Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton, the first of a new SF thriller series. Got it for Father’s Day off my son and it’s the first time in my whole life I’ve been bought I book I hadn’t already asked for and absolutely loved it. 

Got bored of those Jackson Lamb books after the second one. Don’t think I’ll be picking them up again. 

Started the Cole/Pike novels by Robert Crais again from the beginning in anticipation of the new book due in a month or so. Still absolutely superb. Rattled through the first three in the last week.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

Currently really loving Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton, the first of a new SF thriller series. Got it for Father’s Day off my son and it’s the first time in my whole life I’ve been bought I book I hadn’t already asked for and absolutely loved it. 

Is that the book they based the (fairly trashy) TV Show off of? Asteroid heading towards earth, billionaire guy has a plan... or something else?

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Got bored of those Jackson Lamb books after the second one. Don’t think I’ll be picking them up again. 

Started the Cole/Pike novels by Robert Crais again from the beginning in anticipation of the new book due in a month or so. Still absolutely superb. Rattled through the first three in the last week.

What’s thems is abouts thens? 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Crime novels. Cole is a private detective, Pike is his partner, a sociopathic ex marine who is less about the detecting and more about fucking people up. 

One of the best crime series out there and pretty funny too.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

Crime novels. Cole is a private detective, Pike is his partner, a sociopathic ex marine who is less about the detecting and more about fucking people up. 

One of the best crime series out there and pretty funny too.

USMC? That type of Marine? If so, I’m in. If not, I’m still in but a little less enthusiastically. 

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

USMC? That type of Marine? If so, I’m in. If not, I’m still in but a little less enthusiastically. 

Aye that kind of Marine. Books are mainly based in LA with the odd one in New York or Louisiana.

• Upvote 1

Sisters Brothers (2011) by Patrick de Witt.

Should be right up my street, but didn't really like it, felt somehow fake, forced, contrived. Didn't like the characters, didn't find anything in it funny, didn't appreciate the "dark" comedy, inconsistent style and anacronysms. I was surprised to see it got so many nominations for big awards. Comparisons with Cormac McCarthy are a bit insulting.

On to Elmore Leonard's western novels now.

On 25/06/2019 at 19:45, Numero Veinticinco said:

Is that the book they based the (fairly trashy) TV Show off of? Asteroid heading towards earth, billionaire guy has a plan... or something else?

Don’t think so mate. Never heard of that show but the bit you mentioned is nothing like this book bar the fact there is a super-rich guy. 

On 25/06/2019 at 20:19, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'll take a look and post my findings. Sounds good though. 

They're ace and they get better as you read on, too. I re-read them all last year and they stand up well to repeat reading. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and Bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001 "

by Steve Coll

This is a great book (audiobook). What it says on the tin, in detail, and with enough analysis to keep from being a boring recitation of names, dates and events.

If you want to add to your understanding of the world today, this one is a must, IMO.

Just finished Cruyff's autobiography, didn't really enjoy it. I'm not generally a fan of bios (I think I've only ever read Johnny Cash's, Fowler's, Kurt Cobain's, Pele's and Klopp's) but this was cheap in The Works so I picked it up. I get that he was extremely talented but even when trying to be disingenuous or modest he comes across as having a raging ego. I could cope with that but it's quite poorly written, seems like it needed a ghost writer. 

I'm now reading volume 1 of the comic 'Die' by Kieron Gillen. He's a mate's brother, so I'm a little biased, but there cannot be a better comic book writer out there right now. Between this, The Wicked & The Divine, Uber and his Darth Vader stuff, he's doing a brilliant job. Die is about a group of friends that get transported in to their D&D game and 20 years later have to revisit it. A superb story about friendship, growing up, identity and...dragons. Anyone with any interest in comics should check out all of his work. 

On 25/06/2019 at 19:42, Sugar Ape said:

These sound like something I would really enjoy, so interested in getting these books, SA.  On hols soon, so will probably read a few, so in what order should I read them?  Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Naby's Nuts said:

These sound like something I would really enjoy, so interested in getting these books, SA.  On hols soon, so will probably read a few, so in what order should I read them?  Thanks in advance.

He says they don’t have to be read in order but I think it’s best to start at the beginning with The Monkey’s Raincoat.

29747BFC-C0E0-4F88-8889-90C057E2C67C.png

• Upvote 1

Just finished The Hoods, the book that inspired Once Upon a Time in America.

I didn't even know the film was based on a book, but either way Leone had some imagination to see the potential in this. Unsurprisingly, for a gangster novel written in the late forties / early fifties, it reads like a pulpy comic book affair, all wisecracks, Mickey Finns and knocking people out with one punch. Strange given its supposed to be semi-autobiographical. There are a few half decent moments, and the period slang is obviously authentic, but overall it only really had me interested to see how it was adapted. 

"The Idea of Israel: A History of Power and Knowledge"

by 

Ilan Pappé

I was a little worried that this would be filled with academic mumbo-jumbo, but it was actually a fairly accessible look at how the "idea" of Israel, and Zionism, as presented in popular culture, academic circles, and the political world, has changed over time, and how those ideas have impacted those living in, and around, Israel.

Currently reading the new Harry Hole novel, Knife, by Jo Nesbo. It’s fucking brutal on Harry. Enjoying it though. 

The new Cole & Pike novel, A Dangerous Man by Robert Crais, arrived on my kindle yesterday. So that’ll be next. 

The Harry Hole book was great. Really enjoyed it. 

Rattling through the new Cole & Pike book at a right old pace now and have downloaded Simon Hughes’ new book about The Reds and also a Peter F. Hamilton SF novel whose name I can’t remember. If it’s half as good as Salvation though, it’ll be great. 

The Cole & Pike book, A Dangerous Man, was great. On one level it’s great that he won’t sell the film rights to these characters as the books will keep coming and stay true to the picture in my head. On another though they’d make amazing movies or TV series. The casting would be absolutely crucial but if they got that right, they’d be boss as the stories are superb. 

Starting the Simon Hughes book now. Fucking love how much reading I can do when I’m off. 

• Upvote 1

Reading all the Myron Bolitar books by Harlan Coben again after doing the Parker and Elvis Cole series again from scratch. 

If you like the Cole novels or the Kenzie/Gennaro ones by Dennis Lehane then you should definitely give these a go.

They’re superb and have a psychotic sidekick every bit as good as Pike or Bubba. 

• Upvote 2