You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Last night, while fiddling around trying to pre-order The Secret Commonwealth, the second part of Philip Pullman’s Book Of Dust trilogy, I discovered another His Dark Materials story I didn’t know existed. The Collectors is a very short, Kindle-only story about two works of art connected to Lyra’s world. It only takes twenty minutes to read, but I really liked it. Check it out. 

The Secret Barrister book is £3:99 on Amazon today, well worth it.  

The War On Drugs is a fantastic read too.  Surprising to see two of our local drug dealers making an appearance, one of whom had his head blown off whilst queuing in traffic.   

• Upvote 1

Chernobyl- History of A Tragedy by Serhii Plokhy

Overview of everything that happened in April 1986 and after, including how the Soviet handling of the disaster in a large part accelerated independence campaigns in the Ukraine and elsewhere.

Also tells the tragic human story of many, including the bravery of the early responders who probably knew their fate. 

A few chilling paragraphs in the epilogue highlight that over 20 new reactors are under construction in China, Russia, India, the UAE, Pakistan and Egypt. Autocratic regimes with dubious attitudes to safety and even human life - what a wonderful combination.

Half way through the latest Don Winslow, but Holy Sister, the final book in Mark Lawrence’s trilogy, has just dropped into my Kindle. Might have to switch books. Sorry Don. You’re good, but not that good. 

On 06/04/2019 at 11:48, Rico1304 said:

The War On Drugs is a fantastic read too.  Surprising to see two of our local drug dealers making an appearance, one of whom had his head blown off whilst queuing in traffic.   

Is that Neil Woods? I'm reading his first called 'Good Cop Bad War' very good so far.

• Upvote 1

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:25, Paul said:

Half way through the latest Don Winslow, but Holy Sister, the final book in Mark Lawrence’s trilogy, has just dropped into my Kindle. Might have to switch books. Sorry Don. You’re good, but not that good. 

Picked up Red Sister ages ago of your recommendation.  Only just reading it now, 85% through according to the kindle.  It's really picked up after a slow start. Still think it could've lost 50+ pages, but well into the story now.  Thanks.

9 hours ago, Pidge said:

Picked up Red Sister ages ago of your recommendation.  Only just reading it now, 85% through according to the kindle.  It's really picked up after a slow start. Still think it could've lost 50+ pages, but well into the story now.  Thanks.

The whole trilogy improves throughout. I finished the third one, Holy Sister, a couple of days ago and it was brilliant. I hope he writes more stories in that world. 

The Boy On The Shed by Paul Ferris

Memoir of the the youngest ever player to play for Newcastle, a contemporary of Gazza and Waddle, who suffered a serious knee injury that effectively ended his career. He reinvented himself as a physiotherapist (with Newcastle) and then later as a barrister.

From Lisburn so he also focuses on the horror and bleakness of the Troubles (a timely reminder) and his homesickness when he first went over. Flattering and unflattering portraits of a number of Newcastle players and managers over the last 30 years, though it's far from just a football story. 

A different slant on the usual given that he didn't actually make it and he's clearly an intelligent and insightful man. Good read.

• Like 1

The stoneman. An 8 foot man made of stone appears out of nowhere in the middle of Coventry at first people think it's a prank but then it begins to walk in a direct line, nothing can stop it, block it and it can not be destroyed.

I ain't finished it yet but it's been pretty good so far, quite intriguing.

39 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The stoneman. An 8 foot man made of stone appears out of nowhere in the middle of Coventry at first people think it's a prank but then it begins to walk in a direct line, nothing can stop it, block it and it can not be destroyed.

I ain't finished it yet but it's been pretty good so far, quite intriguing.

That sounds very bizarre 

New Charlie Parker Novel A Book Of Bones is out next week and it looks boss. Think I read an interview with him a while ago where he said this will be clearing a lot of questions up and will set the series up to go forward towards the end game. 720 pages too which is about 200 pages longer than the current longest Parker novel. Epic.

He is our best hope.

He is our last hope.

On a lonely moor in the northeast of England, the body of a young woman is discovered near the site of a vanished church. In the south, a girl lies buried beneath a Saxon mound. To the southeast, the ruins of a priory hide a human skull.

Each is a sacrifice, a summons.

And something in the shadows has heard the call.

But another is coming: Parker the hunter, the avenger. Parker's mission takes him from Maine to the deserts of the Mexican border; from the canals of Amsterdam to the streets of London - he will track those who would cast this world into darkness.

Parker fears no evil.

But evil fears him . . .

18 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

New Charlie Parker Novel A Book Of Bones is out next week and it looks boss. Think I read an interview with him a while ago where he said this will be clearing a lot of questions up and will set the series up to go forward towards the end game. 720 pages too which is about 200 pages longer than the current longest Parker novel. Epic.

He is our best hope.

He is our last hope.

On a lonely moor in the northeast of England, the body of a young woman is discovered near the site of a vanished church. In the south, a girl lies buried beneath a Saxon mound. To the southeast, the ruins of a priory hide a human skull.

Each is a sacrifice, a summons.

And something in the shadows has heard the call.

But another is coming: Parker the hunter, the avenger. Parker's mission takes him from Maine to the deserts of the Mexican border; from the canals of Amsterdam to the streets of London - he will track those who would cast this world into darkness.

Parker fears no evil.

But evil fears him . . .

By far my favourite series of books. Nothing comes close.