You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yes read most of his stuff. Have you read anything by Harlan Coben? I think he’s better tbh, very similar concepts though with great sense of humour.

No, never heard of him but I will do. What would you recommend as a good book to start with?

What are people's opinions on audiobooks? I've started listening to them in the car. I'm enjoying listening to Every Dead Thing. Almost finished now. I've acquired a fuck load of others from this thread too.

I read one or two but you tend to spend your time 'guessing the famous person's voice.' I had Robert Blake reading an Elmore Leonard novel and I just kept picturing Robert Blake rather than what was actually happening. More importantly though,my eyes and hands got bored from not holding and reading a book. Even a tablet/ipad is shaped like a book at least. And if you try to watch telly or read a paper then you don't absorb the story. Not something I will do again in a hurry.

As above - this is the first of quite a long series of books - he also writes many one off books - Tell No One is the most famous due to a decent (French) film that was made of it.

The stand alones are very good, I'll have a look at the film.

I've started re-reading the Dark Tower series this week and I'm enjoying book one 'The Gunslinger's more than the first time around.

I was in The Works at the weekend and picked up all of Practhett and Baxter's 'The Long Earth' series for £10. No idea how good they're supposed to be but at £2 a book, there's nothing lost. It'll be a while before I get to them though.

I've started re-reading the Dark Tower series this week and I'm enjoying book one 'The Gunslinger's more than the first time around.

I was in The Works at the weekend and picked up all of Practhett and Baxter's 'The Long Earth' series for £10. No idea how good they're supposed to be but at £2 a book, there's nothing lost. It'll be a while before I get to them though.

Worst book ever.

Likely mentioned on here already, currently working my way through Bill Brysons travel diaries form different countries around the world.

He will enthuse over architecture in the same way he will over his B+B breakfast.

For those with a  dry sense of humour 

Just finished the Imperial Radch series by Ann Leckie. It's Sci-Fi in that it's set in an galactic empire and the protagonist being an AI or more accurately the last remaining bit consciousness of a since destroyed military spaceship housed in a human body, but it's really one giant puzzle piece. Not a lot happens, or rather it does but only once all the pieces have slowly moved into place. The first book is also a little disorientating at first as the Radch people have no words for differentiating the genders and the back story for the spaceship is told through different perspectives as it's consciousness is spread through a multitude of human bodies. Might not be everybody's cup of tea but I really enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 2

Just finished We are Legion, after NV's recommendation.

Guy dies, wakes up 100 years later and he's now an AI with the mission to find inhabitable planets beyond the solar system. The story goes off in different directions but all basically centres around Bob and other Bob's.

I don't read much Sci-Fi, but this is a great read, I got through it in about 4 days and I'm now starting the second installment of the Bobiverse: For we are the many.

• Upvote 1

Just finished We are Legion, after NV's recommendation.

Guy dies, wakes up 100 years later and he's now an AI with the mission to find inhabitable planets beyond the solar system. The story goes off in different directions but all basically centres around Bob and other Bob's.

I don't read much Sci-Fi, but this is a great read, I got through it in about 4 days and I'm now starting the second installment of the Bobiverse: For we are the many.

YARSE!!! Somebody took my recommendation. I'm glad you liked it, mate. I'm on the third book now. 

• Upvote 1

I didn't know there was a third. How's the second book? There's plenty of scope to progress the story.

I think it's good. Not quite as good as the first, I don't think. It carries on much as the second half of the first book. I still very much enjoyed it though. Third is picking up really nicely.