You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Altered Carbon is the very first book mentioned in this thread, almost 12 years ago. And it's still fucking ace.

Is it? Bollocks. I’ve had literally hundreds of books from this thread and missed that completely till this year.

Have you seen the clips on Twitter? The awareness campaign is very good but I let myself down by asking if I could have a new skin with a massive dick.

Is it? Bollocks. I’ve had literally hundreds of books from this thread and missed that completely till this year.

Have you seen the clips on Twitter? The awareness campaign is very good but I let myself down by asking if I could have a new skin with a massive dick.

Yes. It looks like it might have a chance of being decent. Surely you want a new sleave though, not skin?
  • Upvote 1

Have you read her story Revelation? The ending has so beautifully rendered rhythmical prose that I literally get goose bumps every time I read it.

Collection of her letters, The Habit of Being is also a great read.  One of my favourite writers.

I don't think I've come across 'Revelation', is it included in one her collections? I have the letters collection but haven't got to it yet. Marvelous writer.

The storm before the storm, by Mike Duncan. 9/10.

The author is the fella who does the history of Rome podcast, and he focused on the generation just before Caesar, essentially examining why the Republic was in such a state that it could be consumed by civil wars and taking over by 1 man. It is excellent. It's accessible, detailed and in of itself fascinating. The thing that really impressed me is that the narrative is left open to interpretation; one could come to any number of reasons why Sulla was able to establish a dictatorship, and the book is happy support that. Economics, imperialism, ambition, stupidity, class conflict - all that good shit is there. Also, in my time reading, or watching things, I've never known a people to be so obsessed with Irony and symbolism, every assassination is dripping with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend some good spy thrillers please?

I'm reading Charles Cumming's books and really like them but I'm nearly through them now. I used to love Tom Clancy back in the day, I've bought a Stella Remington and read I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes which was brilliant. Also read the first 2 Smiley books by Le Carre.

Thanks

I don't read a lot of spy novels, but I read all of Le Carre ana If you've read and liked the first 2 Smiley books, there is no reason not to read the next 2 and then proceed to the next three in the Karla trilogy, which is the best thing Le Carre has ever written.

Can’t remember if I’ve already mentioned this but I re-read all the Cole/Pike books by Robert Crais recently and managed to time it so that I finished number fifteen literally the day before the new one came out. That was good too.

Halfway through a book called "Darktown" by Thomas Mullen, it's a crime novel set in Atlanta in the 40s - the first black officers on the police force try to investigate a murder (they're not allowed to). Really good so far, the racism is unbelievable.

I have recently discovered an American crime writer Tony Hillerman, who wrote police procedurals set in Navajo tribal police. He's no Elmore Leonard but it's still pretty interesting, a lot of anthropological stuff, even though the books tend to be pretty similar. I went through five novels so far, there is some 20 titles in the series he wrote over the period of 35 years.

I'd say it's above average for American crime writers, admittedly I'm no expert, I'm just on a hiatus from my normal Scandinavian crime reading list. 

Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay is a great book.

It's about an autistic bloke who's obsessed with a map program (Like google earth) and stumbles upon a murder, which his brother looks into. Turns into a bit of a rogue government cover-up type yarn. Very enjoyable and not overly long.

• 1 month later...