You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gaiman is a genius, the "Sandman"-series is the best I've ever read, and I've actually ploughed through a fair share for my young years. Can't see where the "up his own arse"-thing comes from TBH. I've never seen the subject of death and grieving handled so intelligently.

The Preacher was also very good, but still nowhere near "Sandman".

It was a completely prejudicial opinion based on very little. I'll give the first one a proper go on your recommendation.

I forgot to mention a book I recently finished called Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's a thriller (although the ending isn't very thrilling), but it contains some absolutely wonderful characters and dialogue. It's set in Barcelona just after the civil war and follows a boy's quest to uncover the secrets behind a strange book. A magical read.

Stray Toasters by Bill Sienkewicz is a sublimely trippy tale, beautifully executed in the style that Bill made his own and everyone copied. I think it's recently been re-issued in one volume - well worth hunting down. Frank Miller's Elektra Assassin and Daredevil re-tellings (also illustrated brilliantly by BS) are really a must have in any graphic novel collection. Anything by Moore - try getting hold of the unfinished Big Numbers (only 2 of them) and try to work out where it was going. If you don't have V For Vendetta and Watchmen then you're not really a comic fan! Not sure about Gaiman?? Try Violent Cases which is a short and easy read and a good starter for his style, or read Good Omens, and then tackle Sandman. Batman - Year One is easily the pick of the bunch of the 'new' Batman stories, Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke follow closely for me, maybe Arkham Asylum, but all must-haves

Mein Kampf - amazing to think that world leaders trusted Hitler when almost everything he went on to do was foretold in a book written by himself years earlier.

The problem being, have you ever actually tried to read Mein Kampf? It was indeed "My Struggle" to make it past the first couple of chapters...

Talk about turgid, bloaty and "going around the houses".

Say what you like about Neville Chamberlain, but I fear the old duffer would have died of boredom had tried to fully read and digest the contents of said book.

The problem being, have you ever actually tried to read Mein Kampf? It was indeed "My Struggle" to make it past the first couple of chapters...

Talk about turgid, bloaty and "going around the houses".

Say what you like about Neville Chamberlain, but I fear the old duffer would have died of boredom had tried to fully read and digest the contents of said book.

Agreed. How could such a dynamic orator be such a boring writer?

Maybe it was ghost written.

I forgot to mention a book I recently finished called Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's a thriller (although the ending isn't very thrilling), but it contains some absolutely wonderful characters and dialogue. It's set in Barcelona just after the civil war and follows a boy's quest to uncover the secrets behind a strange book. A magical read.

See, and book described as ''magical'' or ''inspiring'' or such other homo terms just turn me right off. I call them ''gay books''.

A boy called It, Angela's Ashes. All fucking shite. Kids dying. Nice, only a woman cold enjoy such misery.

A good book should either be fact based or have a good body count. Preferably both.

Agreed. How could such a dynamic orator be such a boring writer?

Maybe it was ghost written.

Well, it was to an extent.

Dictated to (Heh..) , and no doubt embellished by Rudolf Hess whilst ol' Adolf was in nick in Landsberg, with the rest of the book finished off, still dictated to Hess, in an inn in (what a weird combination of words...) Berchtesgaden.

As for his oration, no matter what your political leanings (Me? I'm a bit of a leftie if anything..), you have to admit he was a brilliant orator. Insightful, rousing and brilliantly, especially for a Kraut, sarcastic.

See, and book described as ''magical'' or ''inspiring'' or such other homo terms just turn me right off. I call them ''gay books''.

A boy called It, Angela's Ashes. All fucking shite. Kids dying. Nice, only a woman cold enjoy such misery.

A good book should either be fact based or have a good body count. Preferably both.

I know exactly what you mean, and this book was right out of character for me - but I loved it. Maybe I'm switching to the other bus.

Some woman was trying to tell me about a book she was reading called can you keep a secret today

needless to say it was purile women drivel about some stupid bint who thinks she is gonna die cos of turbulance and she tells some stranger all her secrets about everything ever...... needless to say this fella is her new boss and bessie mates bloke

i never wanted to hit a woman with a book so much in my life.

meanwhile i am reading return of the king again while I get my shit together and get my booklist for uni in sept.

Atonement by Ian McEwan is absolutely astonishing, best book I've read in years.

Agree with the Ellroy fans - I got lost in American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand and could barely think about anything else when reading them. Can't wait for the final part of the trilogy

I ended up reading a load of non-fiction books after on JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald in an attempt to find some definitive answers on all those goings on, but they posed more questions than answers.

Libra, by Don Delillo is written in Lee Harvey Oswald's voice and is also fantastic.

Football wise, you can't go wrong with Morbo as metioned earlier. Ajax, The Dutch, The War by Simon Kuper looks at Ajax/Holland during the persecution of the Jews and the less than sterling role played by the club, another great read. Also going through Boys From The Mersey at the moment - it's written with a lot more wit and humour than the usual ex-Crew 'we ran them/they never turned up' book.

Started Pefume last night.......warped but impressive.

Atonement by Ian McEwan is absolutely astonishing, best book I've read in years.

Agree with the Ellroy fans - I got lost in American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand and could barely think about anything else when reading them. Can't wait for the final part of the trilogy

I ended up reading a load of non-fiction books after on JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald in an attempt to find some definitive answers on all those goings on, but they posed more questions than answers.

Libra, by Don Delillo is written in Lee Harvey Oswald's voice and is also fantastic.

Football wise, you can't go wrong with Morbo as metioned earlier. Ajax, The Dutch, The War by Simon Kuper looks at Ajax/Holland during the persecution of the Jews and the less than sterling role played by the club, another great read. Also going through Boys From The Mersey at the moment - it's written with a lot more wit and humour than the usual ex-Crew 'we ran them/they never turned up' book.

Started Pefume last night.......warped but impressive.

That Simon Kuper book is an awesome read.

I know loads of people who rave about Ian McEwan, yet I find it over-rated tosh. Am I alone in thinking he's not the greatest literary, yet populist author in the history of publishing?

Sorry mate but you're completely wrong - Ian McEwan rules. Beautifully written with superb characterisation.

I read Shadow of the Wind recently too - well written, very easy to read, and atmospheric. Funny thing is that there is no real substance to it all. Difficult to say why, but I've rarely read a book that is all style but so little content. The gulf between that and Ian McEwan is vast - probably to do to with the characterisation. Shadow of the Wind is the pefect holiday book - enjoyable and totally undemanding.

Best book I've read recently is by Haruki Murakami, a real cracker. Touching the Void by Joe Simpson is worth reading if you're into mountaineering adventure type stuff - incredible survival story.

Sorry mate but you're completely wrong - Ian McEwan rules. Beautifully written with superb characterisation.

I read Shadow of the Wind recently too - well written, very easy to read, and atmospheric. Funny thing is that there is no real substance to it all. Difficult to say why, but I've rarely read a book that is all style but so little content. The gulf between that and Ian McEwan is vast - probably to do to with the characterisation. Shadow of the Wind is the pefect holiday book - enjoyable and totally undemanding.

Best book I've read recently is by Haruki Murakami, a real cracker. Touching the Void by Joe Simpson is worth reading if you're into mountaineering adventure type stuff - incredible survival story.

I know exactly what you mean; it kind of goes nowhere. The reason I liked it is because of the setting (Barcelona) and the character of Fermin and his many theories on life in general, and women in particular.

I know exactly what you mean; it kind of goes nowhere. The reason I liked it is because of the setting (Barcelona) and the character of Fermin and his many theories on life in general, and women in particular.

I read it just before going to Barcelona last summer - really added something to the holiday - found myself visiting places featured in the book. I went on that Blue Tram but all the other tourists kinda spoilt the atmosphere, bastards.

Some of the manga stuff is really good as well, like Akira, Hellsinger and Eden.

I love Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Hellblazer (especially Dangerous Habits). The Constantine film was shit, especially when you consider how poorly the Dangerous Habits storyline was used.

Gotta check out the Preacher stuff now.

Some of the manga stuff is really good as well, like Akira, Hellsinger and Eden.

I love Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Hellblazer (especially Dangerous Habits). The Constantine film was shit, especially when you consider how poorly the Dangerous Habits storyline was used.

I'm onto Preacher as well. Ordered the first collection from Amazon yesterday and am trusting Paul's opinion, so he had better be right.

I've never really given it a go because I can't get past the silly huge eyes they give the characters.