You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owning my first house- you couldn't make this up!!

Juniper

After 6 months of living in a tiny flat in our new town me and the girlfriend decided to take the ultimate step…….getting a mortgage together, thus entering a ‘civil partnership’ and losing most of our pay checks from now on paying our mortgage over a 35 year period. We found the perfect home to set up in and put our bid in early July.

Today, we got the keys and legally became the new owners. Now I’m at work till 5.30pm while my GF, her mum and nan are over the house getting all excited about tomorows move.

However, the tale doesn’t end there……….I’ve just got a phone call from my girlfriend saying her Nan flushed the downstairs toilet and……………..the celling has collapsed and flooded slightly.

Is this what owning a house is like?

:wallbutt: :wallbutt: :wallbutt:

After 6 months of living in a tiny flat in our new town me and the girlfriend decided to take the ultimate step…….getting a mortgage together, thus entering a ‘civil partnership’ and losing most of our pay checks from now on paying our mortgage over a 35 year period. We found the perfect home to set up in and put our bid in early July.

Today, we got the keys and legally became the new owners. Now I’m at work till 5.30pm while my GF, her mum and nan are over the house getting all excited about tomorows move.

However, the tale doesn’t end there……….I’ve just got a phone call from my girlfriend saying her Nan flushed the downstairs toilet and……………..the celling has collapsed and flooded slightly.

Check your buildings insurance, if you're not covered sue the Nan.

Check your buildings insurance, if you're not covered sue the Nan.

Definatly sue her nan.

Apparently the estate agent who did the deal is over there now getting a right ear bashing (wouldnt be supprised if my girlfriends mum throws him down the hole in the celling)

Must of been a crap survey done on the place

Gutted

Guest molbyscorchio

No, but it what's having a nan in law's like. Tell her in no uncertain terms that if she must drop a humongous log, then do it in her own bog. It's their diet, you see.

No, but it what's having a nan in law's like. Tell her in no uncertain terms that if she must drop a humongous log, then do it in her own bog. It's their diet, you see.

Well, her nans great so I'll let her off this time. Girlfriends just been on the phone nearly in tears, plus she's lost her mum and nan driving back to our flat in her car (her mum and nan dont live here and dont know where they are going and where they are)

The days going tits up and I'm still stuck at work sorting it all out

you gotta laugh

Guest molbyscorchio
Well, her nans great so I'll let her off this time. Girlfriends just been on the phone nearly in tears, plus she's lost her mum and nan driving back to our flat in her car (her mum and nan dont live here and dont know where they are going and where they are)

The days going tits up and I'm still stuck at work sorting it all out

you gotta laugh

It'll all sort itself out. Have a good weekend mate. I remember the day I moved into my first gaff. Window left open, dead pigeon in the toilet. Hurrah.

Woah, spooky jnp.

The missus and my good self went for a walk around our estate last night and saw this brand-new 4 bedroomed house just around the corner from my gaff. They will also consider part-ex as this house is up for £190k.

Mine's been valued at £155k which is about the same as one of the neighbours except mine has the garage next door, a much bigger garden plus I own the freehold. My house is a 3-year-old end terrace 3-storey townhouse (up yours Rasher. No bedsit for me. ;)). The missus's house is up for sale and she's expecting about £30k+ from the proceeds after the mortgage is paid.

Anyway just rang them and they will part-ex my house (as long as it's in good nick - it's in great condition). The missus is finishing work early and is going for a look. If everything's ok I drop off 100 smackers and this will secure the house. If the valuation doesn't meet both our estimates then we'll get the 100 notes back.

I'm officially excited.

Sweet.

This is the main reason to never hire anyone from abroad; they are generally useless and may fuck up so catastrophically that you and your business will blow up.

Salif hear that.

me and the girlfriend bought a house 3 years ago, after we moved in six months i woke up for work at 5.30am to find the sitting room flooded after one of our radiators burst, there was water pissing everywhere.Good thing was the insurance paid for the damage and a new floor

So to answer your question yes this is only the start of your problems

My girlfriend and I viewed the two new houses yesterday and we are going for the one on the end for a couple of reasons.

1) The view is better

2) There is more land with the property

3) They haven't skimmed the walls so we can have extra phone/TV points put in and also have the wiring for a burglar alarm put in.

My house has been valued at £155k+ and the new house is £190k. I'm doing a part-ex and am working on the premise they value mine at £150k minimum as I own the freehold, have the garage next door, have more land and have done quite a bit of work on it (wooden floors, burglar alarm).

Looks like my mortgage debt is going up from £90k to £130k!!!

My girlfriend and I viewed the two new houses yesterday and we are going for the one on the end for a couple of reasons.

1) The view is better

2) There is more land with the property

3) They haven't skimmed the walls so we can have extra phone/TV points put in and also have the wiring for a burglar alarm put in.

My house has been valued at £155k+ and the new house is £190k. I'm doing a part-ex and am working on the premise they value mine at £150k minimum as I own the freehold, have the garage next door, have more land and have done quite a bit of work on it (wooden floors, burglar alarm).

Looks like my mortgage debt is going up from £90k to £130k!!!

What'll that be a month, Col? Ours is £750 and just about manageable, but more interest rate rises will hurt. I need to remortgage to get it down.