You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Panorama show tomorrow

Stu Monty

Anyone else watching newsnight and the clips of the undercover football investigation that the BBC are showing tomorrow?

It looks very interesting; the guys who run Charleoi in Belgium saying that people who were claiming to be from a sports agency could run the club if they wanted for the right price, which isn't allowed by Fifa.

One agent who seemed to be mentioning lots of names and claiming that six to eight managers are well known for taking bungs.

It'll be interesting to see how much solid proof the show contains and how much is just accusation and suggestion.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure something big is going to come out of this. They were being cagey on R5, saying they new names but wouldn't say anything until the show had been aired.

I think the beebs hyping this up a lot and like Stu I wonder how much real evidence they've got. But they got me cos I'll sit and watch and add to their viewing figures so I guess it's worked. I'd heard Big Fat Sham was involved (allegedly - to save Dave's legal bill) and I was really hoping that rumour was true.

I think the beebs hyping this up a lot and like Stu I wonder how much real evidence they've got. But they got me cos I'll sit and watch and add to their viewing figures so I guess it's worked. I'd heard Big Fat Sham was involved (allegedly - to save Dave's legal bill) and I was really hoping that rumour was true.

Another early start for you Cath? Do you ever sleep??? :D

Allardyce awaits Panorama fall-out

19/09/2006 - 09:48:03

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce will wait until the BBC’s Panorama investigation into football bungs is screened tonight before reacting to any possible allegations.

Allardyce and his agent son Craig are understood to have been among those investigated by the programme, and the Trotters boss admitted his family is “concerned” by the possible content.

He said: “We are concerned but at the moment, because I am linked with it. From a legal point of view I cannot say any more than that.

“I will take a view after the programme has come out because I do not know what is in it.”

The full allegations to be made in the programme, to be shown on BBC1 at 9pm, are still unknown. Indeed, BBC lawyers are still looking at the footage.

What is definite is that Luton manager Mike Newell will name the agents he claims offered him a bung.

Read it and weap, this is Salif Diao's agent:

Team manager names 'bung' agent

A football manager has publicly named an agent who he says attempted to bribe him.

Luton Town's Mike Newell says football agent Charles Collymore offered him a cut of a player's fee that he tried to negotiate.

Mr Newell says he rejected the offer and reported the agent to the Football Association.

Mr Collymore, who works as a freelance agent, denies offering or accepting any bungs.

Bungs are defined as illegal payments made to managers during transfer dealings.

Mr Collymore, in undercover BBC filming, said he knew eight Premiership managers who would accept bungs.

He made the allegation to a Uefa-licensed coach Knut Auf dem Berge who worked undercover for the BBC's Panorama programme for nine months on an investigation into corruption in football.

Mr Collymore says he gave Knut Auf dem Berge false information because he was suspicious of his agenda.

Mr Newell met the Football Association in January to discuss his allegations that transfer bungs are rife in football.

Lord Stevens, the former Metropolitan Police Commissioner, has been appointed as head of a probe into alleged transfer bungs in the Premier League.

He is looking at irregular payments in transfer deals made since 1 January 2004. He is expected to publish his findings imminently.

Undercover: Football's Dirty Secrets will be broadcast on Tuesday 19 September at 2100 BST on BBC One.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5357822.stm

Guest molbyscorchio

The problem with both Panorama's and Stevens' investigation is that they don't have enough mandatory powers. For example, Stevens wasn't allowed to insist that agents give him access to bank accounts, so unless you capture them red-handed, you've got no chance of pinning them down. Fucking agents. Scum of the earth.

The beeb are bigging it up and saying it will 'rock the foundations of football'

I doubt that. In fact I suspect that both Fat Sam and Auld 'Arry will stay in their respective jobs and given that the other club involved is allegedly Boro the FA surely wont let any shit stick on their new Ingurland man.

I don't doubt however that much of football is corrupt. In any industry with such silly sums of money floating around you will always find someone lining their own pockets. But personally I'm much more concerned about the influence certain individuals can have over the game's governing and regulatory bodies. And I'd also like to see the true role of the media investigated.

why is Sam concerned if he doesnt know what is on the programme? Surely if he'd done nothing wrong there is nothing to be concerned about is there?

Exactly. He's not saying anything cos he's waiting to see if they have enough on him. Allegedly!

I'm going to taping this tonight as I'm out and about. There is defo a bung culture in this country and hopefully this programme will shed some light onto it. I doubt anything will happen though as the guilty parties will just close ranks.

The agent at the heart of the allegations is Salif Diao's. Read into that what you will.

Is that McKay Paul or is it somebody different? I know that Willy McKay has been rumoured to be a big player for Bungs.

Willie McKay is so bent, he makes Graham Norton look like a boxer.

Don't know if I've mentioned it one here before but a City fan at work told me a story about Keegan being made to look like a fool at their AGM when a shareholder systematically went through the players he had bought and that had played miniscule parts in the first team. After citing each player's fee, appearances and goals if necessary he then asked "And could you tell me who his agent is?" - "Willie McKay" - "Thank you" then he'd move onto the next player.

I doubt that. In fact I suspect that both Fat Sam and Auld 'Arry will stay in their respective jobs and given that the other club involved is allegedly Boro the FA surely wont let any shit stick on their new Ingurland man.

I don't doubt however that much of football is corrupt. In any industry with such silly sums of money floating around you will always find someone lining their own pockets. But personally I'm much more concerned about the influence certain individuals can have over the game's governing and regulatory bodies. And I'd also like to see the true role of the media investigated.

Middlesboro released a statement refuting allegations they were one of the clubs - and this was followed up by a BBC/Panarama statement confirming they weren't.