You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso

Paco

I can count the number of bad games alonso has had since he arrived here. The birmingham game when he scored the og and the FA cup final when he clearly wasn't fit.

But this season, Jesus, he has been a shadow of himself and it has continued for the national team last night. he made a dreadful error for healys first and was largely anonymous thereafter.

Since this season started he's been poor. The charity shield and the haifa games. I didn't see that west ham game and he was left out of sheff utd one. But going by last night he is right off his game and with momo apparently fit, pennant fresh, alonso must be in danger of being left out for saturday.

I love xabi but he's not cutting it right now.

Guest molbyscorchio
I can count the number of bad games alonso has had since he arrived here. The birmingham game when he scored the og and the FA cup final when he clearly wasn't fit.

But this season, Jesus, he has been a shadow of himself and it has continued for the national team last night. he made a dreadful error for healys first and was largely anonymous thereafter.

Since this season started he's been poor. The charity shield and the haifa games. I didn't see that west ham game and he was left out of sheff utd one. But going by last night he is right off his game and with momo apparently fit, pennant fresh, alonso must be in danger of being left out for saturday.

I love xabi but he's not cutting it right now.

That's bang on. We all know what Alonso is capable of, but I suspect he needs a couple of games out to take the pressure off, and to allow him to rediscover his form and confidence. He has had a mare of a start to the season. It's a sensible thing to do.

Xabi seems the sort that needs a few games to warm up. I wouldn't say he's been a passenger so far this season though. It's just that the standards he has set himself make it seem that way, but even whilst below those standards he still makes a contribution.

I say keep Xabi in. He will play through this and regain top form soon.

Well according to my Evertonian best mate - he's not as good as Arteta anyway. Oh and i've he's bet me a fiver that Leon Osman will make an England squad by the end of the season....

Alonso will come good.

You shouldn't accept bets from the mentally ill.

Did Everton's support increase with the introduction of care in the community?

People forget he did play Gonzalez in for the winner against Haifa but he will get better

He's having a good season for fantasy points, but so is Frank Lampard.

Alonso has set himself such high standards that any dip in form is easily highlighted.

I dont know if its tiredness or he is just off form at the moment but you can see he is pissed off with himself at the moment. When he gives the ball away he is trying extra hard to get the ball back and is giving away more free kicks then he usually does.

I agree that he needs games to regain his form, however no player should be beyond been dropped and if Rafa feels its best for Alonso to spend a couple of games on the bench then so be it, our squad is good enough now.

Alonso has set himself such high standards that any dip in form is easily highlighted.

I dont know if its tiredness or he is just off form at the moment but you can see he is pissed off with himself at the moment. When he gives the ball away he is trying extra hard to get the ball back and is giving away more free kicks then he usually does.

I agree that he needs games to regain his form, however no player should be beyond been dropped and if Rafa feels its best for Alonso to spend a couple of games on the bench then so be it, our squad is good enough now.

I think when he first arrived he had a slightly different role than he does now and we play a different type of game an all.

Stevie/Didi sat in front of the back four and Xabi had plenty of time to ping balls round like no1's business. However, Stevie now appears to be like Beckham was for England - popping up everywhere and he's generally great but he rarely puts his foot in enough for me (a minor citcism I know). Momo's great at breaking up attacks, he's a fucking machine, but doesnt retain the ball as well as Stevie or Didi did. Therefore we probely dont get Alonso on the ball when there's a bit of space. Also we play at a much highee tempo now (Momo n Stevie last year) and prob even more so this year with our nippy wingers.

Xabi kinda stuck in between a rock and a hard place cos he's got zero pace and although his tackling has improved ten-fold he's not a defensive midfielder. He's at his best when he can sit and spead balls like Ulrika spreads her legs. It's a big season for our ruby haired Basque playmaker and I'm sure he'll come good when he gets used to our faster style of play. I fucking love him - he's top quality. An old style LFC player.

He's also a thorugh pro as anybody who has ever had the fortune to meet him will testify. Our captain waxed lyrical about this side of Xabi and the end of the 2005 season. Forever Euskadi!

Alonso is one of the few players I would be willing to persevere with through a period of bad form. Most others I would drop, but his class makes him a valuable asset even when he's not at his best, and he's the kind of player who needs to playing anyway. Besides, who do we replace him with, Zenden?

I think when he first arrived he had a slightly different role than he does now and we play a different type of game an all.

Stevie/Didi sat in front of the back four and Xabi had plenty of time to ping balls round like no1's business. However, Stevie now appears to be like Beckham was for England - popping up everywhere and he's generally great but he rarely puts his foot in enough for me (a minor citcism I know). Momo's great at breaking up attacks, he's a fucking machine, but doesnt retain the ball as well as Stevie or Didi did. Therefore we probely dont get Alonso on the ball when there's a bit of space. Also we play at a much highee tempo now (Momo n Stevie last year) and prob even more so this year with our nippy wingers.

Xabi kinda stuck in between a rock and a hard place cos he's got zero pace and although his tackling has improved ten-fold he's not a defensive midfielder. He's at his best when he can sit and spead balls like Ulrika spreads her legs. It's a big season for our ruby haired Basque playmaker and I'm sure he'll come good when he gets used to our faster style of play. I fucking love him - he's top quality. An old style LFC player.

He's also a thorugh pro as anybody who has ever had the fortune to meet him will testify. Our captain waxed lyrical about this side of Xabi and the end of the 2005 season. Forever Euskadi!

I disagree. xabi is getting as much ball as he ever got but he's misusing it. his decision making is also poor which would point to a lack of sharpness, tired body or mind. He is giving the ball away a lot and his major attributes are retaining possession and accurate distribution. it's not happening at the moment.