You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ring Of Fire

Rex

I know it was sang at the Champs League Final and I'm pretty well versed in all things LFC, but why do we sing this? Don't get me wrong I love it, but I just don't know why? has it all stemmed from just being sang at the Euro Final?

It might be really obvious and something I really should know, but I simply don't! Why?

It was the lads on the coach Carra's dad travelled on from what I've heard. It wasn't him individually, but he was part of that group. I think I asked him about it in last years interview. If anyone has a copy of that issue to hand, have a look as I'm sure its mentioned in there somewhere.

It was the lads on the coach Carra's dad travelled on from what I've heard. It wasn't him individually, but he was part of that group. I think I asked him about it in last years interview. If anyone has a copy of that issue to hand, have a look as I'm sure its mentioned in there somewhere.

i thought it was lads from a kirkby bus. i'd recognise the lads who were always trying to get it going on aways and i wouldn't have recognised any of them as carras dad. that's not to say he didn't get the coach with them, just i never saw him trying to get it going.

As it appeared in the Carra interview last year...

DU: What's your favourite other song/chant?

JC: We've got a mate, Tony Hall, who knows them all word for word. And Bobby Wilcox as well, they always sing "Liverbird Upon My Chest' when we go out for a few drinks, and I think that's my favourite. And 'Ring Of Fire' of course! (Carra senior nods in agreement)

I've just been going through this issue in the past few days and some of the things that i read in there have been priceless! But that's another story.

It was the Kirkby coach who brought mad tapes onto coaches and got off the coach one time humming the Ring of Fire tune - think it was Auxerre.

Really took off at Birmingham 2004, although often heard whistled/hummed that season.

and i always felt fulham away in 2004 was the break through game. when we came back from 2-0 to win 4-2.

It was the Kirkby coach who brought mad tapes onto coaches and got off the coach one time humming the Ring of Fire tune - think it was Auxerre.

Really took off at Birmingham 2004, although often heard whistled/hummed that season.

Yep, it was definitely sang at Auxerre - amid the tear gas and crappy seating.

Guest FarmersBoy
and i always felt fulham away in 2004 was the break through game. when we came back from 2-0 to win 4-2.

That's what I heard and it tallies with stuff I read from those who attended that game on TTWAR, who were all talking about how it was a fine away song.

As it appeared in the Carra interview last year...

DU: What's your favourite other song/chant?

JC: We've got a mate' date=' Tony Hall, who knows them all word for word. And Bobby Wilcox as well, they always sing "Liverbird Upon My Chest' when we go out for a few drinks, and I think that's my favourite. And 'Ring Of Fire' of course! (Carra senior nods in agreement)

I've just been going through this issue in the past few days and some of the things that i read in there have been priceless! But that's another story.[/quote']

Must have been when we were talking off the record. From what I remember I asked him if it was true his dad started it, and he said it wasn't, but the group he travelled with always played it on the coach. Maybe it was a co-incidence and the Kirkby lads were playing it as well.

Yep, it was definitely sang at Auxerre - amid the tear gas and crappy seating.

I remember turning round in that game to see a lad standing there bemused with two seats above his head?!?! They had apparently been bolted on that morning and thats why if you sat on them they just crumbled!

Have you read the rest of that wikipedia item?

I didn't know you were writing for the Wikipedia, UTM:

"Ring of Fire was first adopted by Liverpool Football Club fans in the year 2002, with the song growing in popularity as the team and its supporters travelled across Europe en route to the 2005 UEFA Champions League final in Istanbul. [2] The song was played by the Liverpool football team prior to their victory on 25th May. [3]

The song was then adopted by supporters of Manchester United, FC United of Manchester and various other teams. The lyrics, slightly modified by the "mancs" was used to rile Liverpool fans. Fans of Man Utd often use ither teams songs - and ALWAYS sing about Liverpool, this is due to thier obsession with England's most successful team and the fact that they're insanely jealous about all the trophies wom by the merseyside team when compared to thier own pathetic haul. Utd fans also like to draw reference to they Heysel disaster among others, calling Liverpool fans murderers. They do this while forgetting that they are indeed murderers themselves - ask any utd fan about an FA cup semi final against Crystal Palace and they run away muttering under thier breath. They're all a bit cowardly like that you see. It's always worth reminding them that they have 1 thing far larger than Liverpool's - thier debt. oh, and USA!"

Brilliant piece :D .

The ring of fire was definitely started by the lads who get ont he kirby coach, Phillie is mates with all of them. The coach used to leave from the fantail in Kirby and it was Paul Cook (ex player, now coach of southport i think, brought accrington into the league this season) who arranged the coaches as he owned the fantail (or was a co-owner). It was while he was playing for Burnley and used to get the BUrnley first team coach through his contacts so the lads could travel in a bit of luxury, little game of poker on the way etc.

All of his mates including tony hall mentioned above used to listen to their own music on the coach and the de de de de deerr etc caught on while all pissed and it caught on from there.

First time I heard it i was on the coach with them going to the Man U game when gerrard scored the screamer and owen done keane and scored. It was a worthington cup final in Cardiff, or a charity sheild.

The next time i heard the song was definitely at the Fulham game and I think that it definitely caught on from there. Hope i have shed some more light on this for you.

I must add, they used to sing the tune and the whole song, so first time i joined in (at Fulham) i went to start the first verse and everyone just carried on with the de de de de blah blah, looked a right knob!!!