You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Biscuits

Uncle_Meat

On 05/04/2022 at 08:13, RJ Fan club said:

Crumbs! Lorry sheds biscuit load over Derbyshire road

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-60990553

@Tony Moanero

I am sorry to hear of this terrible accident. To make up for this Peak Freans has sent a new truck and the driver has been specifically instructed to ignore all stop signs and cross walks.

66D00F9F-53E7-4DFD-BD4B-79EC3806CE21.jpeg

Tony has really taken his dislike for Bourbons to an extreme level.

Haha, this bear loved biscuits so much, he trekked back 100 miles so he could continue scoffing them!

A wild bear in Italy has walked nearly 100 miles across rugged terrain to return to the town from which it was banished after becoming a nuisance by raiding a bakery and feasting on discarded food.

The recidivist bear has twice been banished in the last few months from the alpine town of Roccaraso, in the Abruzzo region of central Italy, but to no avail.

Rangers had hoped to wean the animal off its dependence on food waste and other easy pickings in the ski resort, particularly after it broke into a bakery called Dolci Momenti - Sweet Moments - and scoffed a large quantity of freshly-baked biscotti.

The bear’s most recent banishment happened in early March, when it was captured in a specially-designed, tube-shaped trap, and transported to a wildlife enclosure near the village of Palena in Abruzzo.

On March 25, the animal was released into a wild and uninhabited tract of the Maiella National Park in the Apennine mountains.

Advertisement

But after just 18 days of living in its natural environment, it has now turned up once again in Roccaraso, where it has been photographed padding past the town’s railway station.

The bear, nicknamed Juan Carrito, is now expected to go back to its old ways of scavenging for food in and around the town, where it is something of a celebrity.

The sweet-toothed bear, named Juan Carrito, photographed in the town of Roccaraso, Italy
The sweet-toothed bear, named Juan Carrito, photographed in the town of Roccaraso, Italy

“Since March 25, the day when the bear was released back into the wild, until today, the bear has spent 18 days travelling through the valleys of the Maiella national park, walking around 150 kilometres, feeding off plants and ants,” national park officials said in a statement.

“The bear’s return to Roccaraso was an outcome which, since the start of the translocation project, was considered highly probable.”

The animal is a Marsican brown bear, a rare sub-species which is found only in central Italy. There are only 50-60 left in the wild, making them the rarest type of bear on the planet. They are genetically different to the brown bears which live in the Alps and many other parts of Europe.

Advertisement

The first time the creature was forcibly removed from Roccaraso was in December, when it was airlifted by helicopter to a wilderness area.

After waking up from hibernation in the mountains, the animal demonstrated that it just could not kick its old habits, returning to Roccaraso within days. It was then that the second relocation attempt was launched.

Rangers and officials from Italy’s ministry for ecological transition will now hold a meeting to discuss what next to do with the bear.

One key measure will be to introduce bear-proof wheelie bins so that the animal cannot snack on discarded food.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/13/sweet-toothed-italian-bear-walks-100-miles-back-town-banished/

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PestiRed said:

Rediscovered these gorgeous little things this week. Bought a pack and will be treating myself to just one a day with the morning coffee. 

1F41D0F5-BF0C-45F3-A630-0B918A3685C5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Yeah big fan of these myself.

Now I don't want to get the pair of you too excited, but...

Biscoff%20Spread%20smooth%20720g%20HD_1.

Discovered it during lockdown and had to remove it from the house after a couple of days as I was just loading spoonfulls into my face pretty much everytime I passed the kitchen.

It was when i was making excuses to go to the kitchen that I realised I had a problem.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Now I don't want to get the pair of you too excited, but...

Biscoff%20Spread%20smooth%20720g%20HD_1.

Discovered it during lockdown and had to remove it from the house after a couple of days as I was just loading spoonfulls into my face pretty much everytime I passed the kitchen.

It was when i was making excuses to go to the kitchen that I realised I had a problem.

Wait until you find the ice cream.

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Wait until you find the ice cream.

One of the things I was doing was taking vanilla ice cream and dumping a couple of spoonfulls in that aswell, so I'll be actively seeking that out.

I swear if i hadn't had the wherewithal to stop buying it lockdown would have ended with me being rolled out of the house as the star of some channel 5 documentary.