You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blackburn Accept Our £6m Bid For Bellamy

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bellamy joins Liverpool on four-year deal

Dominic Fifield and Ewan Murray

Thursday June 22, 2006

The Guardian

Craig Bellamy will today complete his £6m transfer from Blackburn Rovers to Liverpool after agreeing a four-year deal with the Merseyside club commanding wages of around £45,000 a week, considerably less than was on offer had he opted to prolong his stay at Ewood Park.

Rovers had proposed a similar four-year deal which would have increased his weekly pay packet to nearer £60,000 but the Wales international opted for Anfield. The boyhood Liverpool fan undertook a medical yesterday, cutting short a holiday in Greece, and met Rafael Benítez to discuss the terms of the transfer.

Thursday June 22, 2006

The Guardian

Craig Bellamy will today complete his £6m transfer from Blackburn Rovers to Liverpool after agreeing a four-year deal with the Merseyside club commanding wages of around £45,000 a week, considerably less than was on offer had he opted to prolong his stay at Ewood Park.

Rovers had proposed a similar four-year deal which would have increased his weekly pay packet to nearer £60,000 but the Wales international opted for Anfield. The boyhood Liverpool fan undertook a medical yesterday, cutting short a holiday in Greece, and met Rafael Benítez to discuss the terms of the transfer.

Article continues

Confirmation of the deal will disappoint Blackburn's manager Mark Hughes, who had revitalised Bellamy's career last season after a turbulent spell under Graeme Souness at Newcastle. The 26-year-old scored 17 times in 32 appearances as a Rover, with the club reluctantly allowing him to talk to Liverpool as the £6m fee activated a clause in his contract if interest was expressed by a club participating in the Champions League.

Thursday June 22, 2006

The Guardian

Thursday June 22, 2006

The Guardian

Article continues

Confirmation of the deal will disappoint Blackburn's manager Mark Hughes, who had revitalised Bellamy's career last season after a turbulent spell under Graeme Souness at Newcastle. The 26-year-old scored 17 times in 32 appearances as a Rover, with the club reluctantly allowing him to talk to Liverpool as the £6m fee activated a clause in his contract if interest was expressed by a club participating in the Champions League.

Yay! Can't wait to see the little git in a Liverpool shirt, he's going to be absolutely ace.

Yay! Can't wait to see the little git in a Liverpool shirt, he's going to be absolutely ace.

Rafa has just gone up in my, already highly esteemed, regard. Cisse his bargaining chip of the Summer gets wiped out, but no bother, Rafa goes and buys a player that will be a significant improvement, for less than Cisse would have/still will go for, with no bidding war, makes the player take a pay cut, cut short his honeymoon AND still he has to come in for an interview!

If those figures are true, a 15,000 a week quid pay cut is pretty impressive (payed less than Cheyrou too!). I know he will still be on shitloads, but he is serious about playing for us. I think we will see a different Bellamy and am really looking forward to seeing him play for us. Good bit of business that.

If those figures are true, a 15,000 a week quid pay cut is pretty impressive (payed less than Cheyrou too!). I know he will still be on shitloads, but he is serious about playing for us. I think we will see a different Bellamy and am really looking forward to seeing him play for us. Good bit of business that.

Agree RIS if those figures regarding the wages are true, it is a very good sign. Just shows how much he wants to come here.

When you accept £15.000 less and take first flight home to make sure to tell Rafa how much he wants to play for us, il give the kid some credit.

I trust Rafa 100% on this and say welcome lad, you sure want this move. Just put your neck into it...

TBH, I've not been that thrilled by the prospect of signing this horrible little bastard (in the nicest possible way of course) but the more i think about it the more excited I am. He's got the mouth and attitude of a top player, now he just needs to keep himself on the straight and narrow and prove it.

If he does it'll be a great bit of business. Not overly sure he's a top player at the moment and if Rafa wants to play him wide right a bit (i'd imahgine he will) it could be troublesome. But then maybe i'm just being overly cautious and in reality we've got the striker we needed for fuck all.

• 10 months later...
Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
If he gets more than 12 in the League I'll show my arse in John Lewis window.

The John Lewis window shoppers are to be spared then

Didn't even get close

The John Lewis window shoppers are to be spared then

Didn't even get close

I am disappointed that it didn't work out for him here. i thought he would be able to take the step up. My auntie wanted to see Kaizer Sauze's arse an all.