You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blackburn Accept Our £6m Bid For Bellamy

Bellamy sets his heart on move to Liverpool

By Oliver Kay

BLACKBURN ROVERS have reluctantly accepted a £6 million bid from Liverpool for Craig Bellamy, clearing the way for the Wales forward to move to Anfield when he returns from honeymoon this week. Bellamy must still pass a face-to-face examination with Rafael Benítez, who is eager to assess the personality of a player with a chequered past, but the Merseyside club do not anticipate any problems.

The Blackburn board was left with no option but to accept the bid from Liverpool, which triggered a get-out clause in the contract that the player signed on his arrival from Newcastle United for £5 million last July. Blackburn intend to offer Bellamy a new contract worth more than £50,000 a week in the hope of persuading him to stay, but privately they are resigned to losing him to Liverpool, the club he supported as a boy, even if it transpires that he earns less money at Anfield.

The situation is one that Blackburn were effectively forced into last summer when Bellamy, after an acrimonious end to his time at Newcastle, accepted the invitation to rebuild his career at Ewood Park. The forward wanted to play under Mark Hughes, his former Wales manager, but made clear that he regarded the move as a stepping stone back to a higher level, insisting on a clause, active until June 30, that allowed him to speak to any club offering £6 million.

Benítez, the Liverpool manager, views the 26-year-old as the ideal candidate to bring pace and freshness to a forward line featuring the more ponderous Peter Crouch and Robbie Fowler. Benítez, who considered Jermain Defoe, of Tottenham Hotspur, and Darren Bent, the Charlton Athletic striker, as alternatives before settling on Bellamy, may yet move for another forward, having already sold Fernando Morientes to Valencia.

His plans were threatened when Djibril Cissé suffered a broken leg on the eve of the World Cup finals, but Marseilles are preparing to proceed with a bid to sign him on loan with a view to a permanent transfer next summer.

Liverpool have already secured deals to sign Gabriel Palletta, the young Argentine defender, from Banfield and Mark González, the Chile winger, from Albacete, the latter subject to receiving a work permit. They have also made an improved offer in the region of £9 million to Seville for Daniel Alves, who will offer more options at right back and farther forward, and have provisionally reached a pre-contract agreement with Fabio Aurelio, the Brazilian left back, whose contract with Valencia expires at the end of the month.

Blackburn’s disappointment at losing Bellamy will be tempered slightly by their success in persuading Steven Reid to sign a new four-year contract. Tottenham made an inquiry about the Ireland midfield player last week, but he has agreed to sign a new deal.

Manchester United have secured a deal to sign Magnus Wolff Eikrem, the hottest young talent in Norway, from Molde. The 15-year-old said: “United is the best club in the world and the best club to join for a young player.”

Birmingham City are considering reporting Wigan Athletic to the FA Premier League after accusing the Lancashire club of making an illegal approach for Emile Heskey.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2233219,00.html

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in the Independant as well. If he signs I'll give him every chance to prove himself on and off the field. Something tells me Rafa has pulled off another master stroke.

Alves by the end of the week and if you believe the reports Kuyt after the World Cup.

I'm content with that and furthermore if all of the above comes off I may just allow myself a little dose of Mr Natton's premiership winners special linctus 2007 !!!

Bellamy must still pass a face-to-face examination with Rafael Benítez, who is eager to assess the personality of a player with a chequered past, but the Merseyside club do not anticipate any problems.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that meeting. I have a mental picture of Rafa doing the 'queers and steers' routine from Full Metal Jacket on Bellamy to test his self-control

It's in the Independant as well. If he signs I'll give him every chance to prove himself on and off the field. Something tells me Rafa has pulled off another master stroke.

Alves by the end of the week and if you believe the reports Kuyt after the World Cup.

I'm content with that and furthermore if all of the above comes off I may just allow myself a little dose of Mr Natton's premiership winners special linctus 2007 !!!

The best team in the country with 4 more above average players playing for the TEAM, now that should ruffle a few feathers

Guest Jay W
If he signs I'll give him every chance to prove himself on and off the field.

I'll go with that, although proven prem quality, I don't really like Bellamy (which I've said somewhere before) but everyone deserves a chance and Rafa certainly deserves our trust should he go ahead and sign the fucker...

Was just watching some of his goal on YouTube before, reminded myself of what we're getting and it aint bad...

assuming he sticks to the back pages of the paper, I think he could do very well for us. On the pitch, apart from his football ability he's a shithouse and an agitator - the kind of player that you love if they are on your team, and hate with a passion if they are on the opposition.

Time will tell, but I think it will be a great bit of business at 6 mill.

Although I think he is a good striker, I'm just afraid he'll chuck a fit when he doesn't get fit and knowing Rafa's system he'll be playing one game score a hatrick and be on the bench the next game. THEN, he'll chuck a hissy fit when he finds out walks out of anfield and end up disturbing the harmony amongst the players.

Although I think he is a good striker, I'm just afraid he'll chuck a fit when he doesn't get fit and knowing Rafa's system he'll be playing one game score a hatrick and be on the bench the next game. THEN, he'll chuck a hissy fit when he finds out walks out of anfield and end up disturbing the harmony amongst the players.

I reckon Rafa's going to be a little bit tricky in this face-to-face, something like "Hi, Craig, you're the right winger I've been looking for".

Bellamy must know this is his big chance at a team that's going to win things. Throw a hissy with us and he'll be back with the Newcastles and Blackburns of this world.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that meeting. I have a mental picture of Rafa doing the 'queers and steers' routine from Full Metal Jacket on Bellamy to test his self-control

:D :D

"Only steers and queers come from wales private no-neck, so which one are you?"

"Sir, yes Sir!"

Very good weeksie ha ha.

Everyone knows score with Bellamy and his chequered past. It now looks a cert that he is coming and if he produces on the park, it wont take us long to accept him .

This is his chance, maybe his last one if he fucks it up. He is quick, good ball control, knows where the net is and works his socks off. It is all there and it could be a master stroke and if it isnt we will still get our money back on him.

I'm more excited by the prospect as the hours pass, mainly because i'm certain he's the type of player we need, but also because if it doesn't work out Rafa will get shut straight away and bring someone else in.

It's a great feeling knowing your manager isn't a stubbourn prick...

Post reckon Blackburn will reject our bid and that we'll have to up it by 500k. It may or may not be true as I'd suspect as many stalling tactics by Blackburn as possible until they get the chance to try and persuade him to stay. Given that he's on his honeymoon they are going to be as slow to act as possible but there's not much that can be done by either party, tbh.

Post reckon Blackburn will reject our bid and that we'll have to up it by 500k. It may or may not be true as I'd suspect as many stalling tactics by Blackburn as possible until they get the chance to try and persuade him to stay. Given that he's on his honeymoon they are going to be as slow to act as possible but there's not much that can be done by either party, tbh.

Fancy the Post being negative about Liverpool hey Dave? ;)

Radio City reported Blackburn have accepted the bid first thing this morning and it's also on the BBC website (and Sly too). That will do for me.