You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How many south americans have succeeded in the PL

Chippo

Guest TK-421
I think you are mistaken mr section with your reference it south americans in italy. ill list a few wxamples to disprove your statment.

1.batistuta (probbly one of the best forwards in italy in moden times.)

2. crespo ( great over there)

3. simone

4. maradona

4 samual (boss in italy shit in spain)

too many others to mention. like fronseca/zamararno/edmundo/adriano/ect ect ect

When Gazza joined Lazio I started watching the old Serie A, as I'm sure many did, in the days before Sky Sports and the saturation of telebox foot-o-ball coverage.

Thomas Haessler was playing for Roma, who I thought was ace, so I supported them. The Abel Balbo/Daniel Fonseca strike force was one of the most feared in Serie A, until they both turned shit.

Another player I liked was Rubens Sosa of Internazionale. He scored ninja goals every week.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Momo Sissoko
So, what have we learned today?

Some South Americans have succeeded in the Premiership, and some have failed. Hold the back page!

Well seeing as we could be buying a few this summer it's a relevant issue.

Not many in my opinion. Both Veron or Crespo have been shit, same goes for Kleberson.

Juninho and Gilberto Silva have done ok but nothing more.

These are all great players in the best national teams in the world..

I have mixed feelings about Aimar and Alves. Hopefully if they come they`ll come good.

Eat shyte my Eenglish nobhound. How many of your filthy short haired Eenglish players have don the business in South America. Lets see you at Independiente on a er hot Tuesday night

Eat shyte my Eenglish nobhound. How many of your filthy short haired Eenglish players have don the business in South America. Lets see you at Independiente on a er hot Tuesday night

Well i don`t really care who succeeds at IndependienteAll i care about is Liverpool.

And it has nothing to do with race and all to do with culture.

Well i don`t really care who succeeds at IndependienteAll i care about is Liverpool.

And it has nothing to do with race and all to do with culture.

Go on Chips I'm intrigued

My point by the way was that we in England always go on about foriegners making it in our game but very few English palyers have cut it abroad - its typical of the Little Englander menality - not a dig at you personally

I have mixed feelings about Aimar and Alves. Hopefully if they come they`ll come good.

..not forgetting that Chile is fairly South American, so Mr Gonzalez (or Gonzales, depending on the alignment of the stars) had better come good too... and Paletta... have we signed Aurelio or Somoza?

"You wait for a classy South American and 26 come along at once"

Guest OnceARedAlwaysA
I don't think its just the weather, its the physical nature as well, in fact the same can be said of the Italian league although there have been some succesful exports, if you look at the most high profile efforts like Ronaldo and Rivaldo, their careers went down sharpish when they made that initial move from La Liga. Spain has got everything a latin american needs - just like a plant in a greenhouse.

Absolute bollocks man. Ronaldo's one guy who you could definitely call world class as he's done it at every level he's played in. if it wasn't for the bad injury he picked up at Inter he would imo have gone down as one of the greatest players of all time.

My mother reckons the Robledo brothers from Chile, at Newcastle in the 1950s, were good, especially Geroge. [i've just googled on George. He played for Chile in the 1950 World Cup, scored the winner for the barcodes in the '52 Cup Final, and scored 91 goals in 166 games for them. Sounds like a success.]

Of the South American players I've seen, I don't think anyone comes close to Ardiles. He was a wonderful little player, just got on with it, didn't worry about the physical stuff and produced the goods consistently. One of my favourite non-LFC players.

you might want to consider that not that many SA's have played in England at all compared to Italy and Spain. . . (If Rashid pulls up some facts from his infared to prove me wrong, I'll kill myself)

I know that, but players like veron and Crespo who was named among the best players in the world have been a dissapointment. And Veron has tried his luck in two different clubs as well. I`m not saying we should buy english players only, but I think sentral europeans are more safe to buy.

I think it`s down to the culture and the style of play.

Guest Momo Sissoko
Why do people keep saying we should sign English players? That Jason Lee signed for Forest and he was shit. I have doubts about Defoe, just wait until he plays on a hard pitch at Old Trafford on a sunny day in August.

coz wee r in eengland