You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gimme some music reccomendations!

Karl_b

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been listening to We were dead before the ship even sank by Modest Mouse.

Johnny Marr co wrote a few tracks and is of course playing guitar.

liking tracks 1,2,3,6,7 and 13 - 12 is pretty cool too.

It has a nautical theme and was originally envisioned as a concept album about a boat crew that dies in every song

I didn't think The Walkmen could beat their last album but listening to Lisbon I might be wrong.

Karl I've never fallen for Sufjan but I'll give the new one a go.

Stranded, Blue As Your Blood, Juveniles and Angela Surf City are the standouts for me. I think You & Me eclipses it slightly as an album though.

• 2 months later...

WPyqi4OLTBc

Buy the BSP album today. The vinyl comes with a LTD free EP CD, download link, and poster and 2 vinyl gatefold and beer mat! Well it did in my shop.

I've never been a huge fan but on first listen I really liked it.

OK so I've given you 3 tracks, the pop synth is released next month (but a video was released yesterday - what a cracker!), the 2nd is a fine fine piece of ambient techno from on of last years great albums, and this came out today. TODAY.

Thants - on the ball, at your service, sexy as muffins.

^^^^^^

very underrated band

The debut and Do You Like Rock Music are superb. Downloading the new one as I type.

Anyway, Guided By Voices:

They've recorded millions of albums but check out Bee Thousand, it has this magical lo-fi sound to it (not to everyone's taste admittedly) and Noel Gallagher could have learned a thing or two about putting Beatles influences to better use from these guys.

• 6 months later...

Been a bit quiet on the old music front again this year but I love the new Joy Formidable track, A Heavy Abacus.

[YOUTUBE]YsGg_07VrX0[/YOUTUBE]

The Bill Wells and Aidan Moffet album is great if wholly melancholic.

If You Keep Me In Your Heart

[YOUTUBE]t_LV9HN_c5s[/YOUTUBE]

The new Bon Iver, My Morning Jacket and Pete and the Pirates albums are all top notch too, well worth checking out.

Bon Iver - Calgary

[YOUTUBE]0KrmxavLIRM[/YOUTUBE]

My Morning Jacket - Wonderful (The Way I Feel)

[YOUTUBE]7MAw9ONTP3s[/YOUTUBE]

Pete and The Pirates - Half Moon Street

[YOUTUBE]XS5HmN1A1cY[/YOUTUBE]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Been a while since this was bumped so here goes.

The new Marnie Stern album is streaming on her website; it has the usual guitar tapping, wailing and interesting arrangements but it's a little more poppy and accessible than some of her earlier stuff. Track 4, Nothing Is Easy is the stand-out for me, so far.

I really like the new Everything Everything album (The Prof probably felt a cold chill at this), it's a great slice of modern indie-pop.

Everything Everything - Radiant

[YOUTUBE]l4LP_WhyP0Q[/YOUTUBE]

The new Villagers album is probably my favourite of the year so far. Starts off with a folky intro, builds to something bigger than that, well written and has great harmonies throughout.

Villagers - Earthly Pleasures

[YOUTUBE]hv5vng8HQuc[/YOUTUBE]

The first time I heard Dutch Uncles' single Flexxin I thought it was something new from Hot Chip or a homage to that long lost forumite, The Rasher. It's neither. Anyway, I bought the album off the back of that one track, once I found out who it was by, and it's had me dancing around like the skinny white indie nerd I am. A bit like the video for the aforementioned single:

Dutch Uncles - Flexxin'

[YOUTUBE]dHXxKitLdrU[/YOUTUBE]

Caught this on Marc Riley earlier and I'm blown away by it, it's absolutely stunning. Never heard anything of this girl before but I'll be checking her out.

Soap&Skin - Sugarbread

[YOUTUBE]xUFjl8LzmY

[/YOUTUBE]

Finally, I want to plug a band a few mates of mine are in, Early Cartographers. They're a 'folk collective' based here in Sheffield, put together by some of the best amateur musicians in the city as a bit of a side project but I think there's something about them to go a little further. They've had a few plays on 6Music and they're very good live. Anyone in Sheffield should check them out. Listen to their EP through the link above.

• 11 years later...

This seems as good a place to post a recommendation as anywhere. The new Uranium Club record arrived with me this week and I absolutely freaking love it; it's full of post-punk energy, a bit weird (part way through it becomes a concept album about a wall appearing in the middle of a town) and fun as hell. The album opener "Small Grey Man" is one of the best singles I've heard in a long, long time and I've been a bit obsessed with it since hearing it on Marc Riley's show a couple of months back.