You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Eternal Question: Luis Garcia?

RedKnight

Would you keep Garcia?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep Garcia?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that Rafa would have given the players he want's to the board by now.You would think that the people Rafa want's, we would be quite away down the road of signing them.I believe and it's only my opinion is Rafa will buy them before the world cup.Just a thought will Harry Kewell play as a second striker next season maybe like the role Luis play's?

When does the transfer window open by the way?

And I agree Rafa will have given some players that he wants to the board, however I'm not sure many teams will be selling right now, they will wait to the end of their respective seasons before evaluating their position. For example if a club gets into the champions league, they will have more money and less pressure to sell a player.

Therefore I don't think you can say for certain at all that Luis will not be here next season. I agree that it is a possibility, however I would also suggest the possibility of us selling Garcia would rest on us using the money to buy a better player. This type of player would cost us a lot of money, is likely to be a "big" player at their current club, and I don't think clubs decide to sell this type of player in April.

So to conclude, you could right, but it is surely only a possiblity at this stage and perhaps unwise to wager two crates of seize cent soixante-quatre on.

When does the transfer window open by the way?

And I agree Rafa will have given some players that he wants to the board, however I'm not sure many teams will be selling right now, they will wait to the end of their respective seasons before evaluating their position. For example if a club gets into the champions league, they will have more money and less pressure to sell a player.

Therefore I don't think you can say for certain at all that Luis will not be here next season. I agree that it is a possibility, however I would also suggest the possibility of us selling Garcia would rest on us using the money to buy a better player. This type of player would cost us a lot of money, is likely to be a "big" player at their current club, and I don't think clubs decide to sell this type of player in April.

So to conclude, you could right, but it is surely only a possiblity at this stage and perhaps unwise to wager two crates of seize cent soixante-quatre on.

the Count thinks it is July 1.

Benítez happy to stick by García despite his lack of consistency

Dominic Fifield

Wednesday April 26, 2006

The Guardian

Rafael Benítez has moved to deflect suggestions that Luis García could leave Liverpool at the end of the season, though he admits he has to learn to live with the midfielder's eccentricities in return for the occasional flashes of brilliance that turn matches.

García's patchy form this season has put his future under scrutiny. Yet the 27-yearold, a £6m signing from Barcelona in the summer of 2004, produced a reminder of his jaw-dropping capabilities by scoring a glorious and decisive goal against Chelsea in Saturday's FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford to enliven what had otherwise been a slipshod performance.

"You have to accept he is what he is," said Benítez, who had previously worked with García in the Spanish second division at Tenerife. "I tried to change him at Tenerife. But while you can tell other players to pass inside nice and simple, he likes to be different. You can see him giving away easy balls sometimes, but also scoring fantastic goals. As a manager, you need players like him. If you need to change the game but you only have one kind of player, you can't. He tries to do something out of the ordinary.

"He's under contract, playing well and scoring good goals, and I think he's happy here. I'm very happy with him. I know sometimes you can hear the supporters are disappointed when he gives the ball away, but he keeps trying to be different.

He's never afraid to try and, when something doesn't come off, he tries it again."

García's ability to raise his form on the big occasions has already been proved to Liverpool's satisfaction. There was a stunning volley to help defeat Juventus in the Champions League quarter-finals last season, and the winner against Chelsea in the semi-finals a year ago. This season's his goal tally at Liverpool already stands at 11.

"He scored 16 times for me at Tenerife playing as a left-winger, and did the same for Atlético Madrid afterwards," added Benítez. "He's always scored goals, and managed 13 in his first season in England last year. He's played really good games sometimes, not giving the ball away, but if a player tries to do different things you need to accept that he'll be a bit of a risk."

Benítez would like to rest Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher for this evening's Premiership match at West Ham United - a dress rehearsal for the FA Cup final - though an injury to Daniel Agger is likely to see at least one of the pair retained.

Harry Kewell will rest a slight thigh strain with Benítez also considering starting with Steven Gerrard on the bench.

Benítez happy to stick by García despite his lack of consistency

Dominic Fifield

Wednesday April 26, 2006

The Guardian

Rafael Benítez has moved to deflect suggestions that Luis García could leave Liverpool at the end of the season, though he admits he has to learn to live with the midfielder's eccentricities in return for the occasional flashes of brilliance that turn matches.

García's patchy form this season has put his future under scrutiny. Yet the 27-yearold, a £6m signing from Barcelona in the summer of 2004, produced a reminder of his jaw-dropping capabilities by scoring a glorious and decisive goal against Chelsea in Saturday's FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford to enliven what had otherwise been a slipshod performance.

"You have to accept he is what he is," said Benítez, who had previously worked with García in the Spanish second division at Tenerife. "I tried to change him at Tenerife. But while you can tell other players to pass inside nice and simple, he likes to be different. You can see him giving away easy balls sometimes, but also scoring fantastic goals. As a manager, you need players like him. If you need to change the game but you only have one kind of player, you can't. He tries to do something out of the ordinary.

"He's under contract, playing well and scoring good goals, and I think he's happy here. I'm very happy with him. I know sometimes you can hear the supporters are disappointed when he gives the ball away, but he keeps trying to be different.

He's never afraid to try and, when something doesn't come off, he tries it again."

García's ability to raise his form on the big occasions has already been proved to Liverpool's satisfaction. There was a stunning volley to help defeat Juventus in the Champions League quarter-finals last season, and the winner against Chelsea in the semi-finals a year ago. This season's his goal tally at Liverpool already stands at 11.

"He scored 16 times for me at Tenerife playing as a left-winger, and did the same for Atlético Madrid afterwards," added Benítez. "He's always scored goals, and managed 13 in his first season in England last year. He's played really good games sometimes, not giving the ball away, but if a player tries to do different things you need to accept that he'll be a bit of a risk."

Benítez would like to rest Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher for this evening's Premiership match at West Ham United - a dress rehearsal for the FA Cup final - though an injury to Daniel Agger is likely to see at least one of the pair retained.

Harry Kewell will rest a slight thigh strain with Benítez also considering starting with Steven Gerrard on the bench.

And there you have it.

He stays!

End of thread.

I like this part of the interview from Rafa:

"He's always a player from whom you can expect something different. If you're struggling in a game you can either do two things, send your centre back up front as a centre forward or use Luis Garcia between the lines."

Nice little dig there!

and I think Luis will stay also - rafa likes players who can come on and completely change a game when required, and he certainly does that.

And there you have it.

He stays!

End of thread.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW9960060426-0913.htm

Another similar article but I dont think it means he defo stays.

Put it this way if he stays he wont play away games for starters if Rafa wants to play pass n move football then you cant have Garcia in the team unless you want to pass n move to the opposition.

In fact at the start of last season I would say Garcia and Joe Cole were very similar players and Cole adapted to Mourinho's requirements or was gonna get booted out wheras Garcia hasnt developed in the same way.

The article more or less says if he stays he will play as a second striker but there are probably players out there who can do a better job in that position.

So for me its not cut and dried but if rafa wants an 8m sub and Luis is happy with that then id love to keep him.

• 7 months later...

If people are looking for a player who offers that bit of magic but with the added consistency then they'll need to find the 100+ million it'd take to prise Messi or Ronaldinho from Barca.

There are very few players of that type who don't frustrate but you put up with it for moments like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6s-BeA6buM&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgqkrs_dBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tBe7-QFoOM